Windows Vista Experience Index Score and New Ram

Ranger Rick

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, just finished my new build. Anyway, everything seems to be working fine however I've run into two things that have been bothering me. All my scores in the Vista index score seem to be fine except for my memory score which is a 5.0. I don't think this is normal because my friend has a memory score of 5.9, and his ram is DDR2 667 while mine is DDR2 800. Also in 3dmark 06, my score was the lowest out of 11 people with similar configurations as mine, leaving me to believe I have some type of problem, which I think has to do with the ram. I've been tinkering around in the bios, but when I change the memory timings and save, they do not change. Here is the ram I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227124

I'm using a q6600 processor and the EVGA 650i motherboard. Thanks for any help! :)

[quote name='Chacrana']Maybe download memtest and run it to see if there's a problem.[/quote]

Whoops! Meant to add that info but forgot to. Yeah I ran memtest for about an hour and a half and it gave me 0 errors. Gonna run it overnight tonight to be sure.

[quote name='Ranger Rick']Hey guys, just finished my new build. Anyway, everything seems to be working fine however I've run into two things that have been bothering me. All my scores in the Vista index score seem to be fine except for my memory score which is a 5.0. I don't think this is normal because my friend has a memory score of 5.9, and his ram is DDR2 667 while mine is DDR2 800. Also in 3dmark 06, my score was the lowest out of 11 people with similar configurations as mine, leaving me to believe I have some type of problem, which I think has to do with the ram. I've been tinkering around in the bios, but when I change the memory timings and save, they do not change. Here is the ram I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227124

I'm using a q6600 processor and the EVGA 650i motherboard. Thanks for any help! :)[/quote]

Just a quick glance at the user reviews suggests that the RAM you bought may be power hungry or at minimum power sensitive.

Check the bios and make sure your mobo can run everything at your desired latency/voltage settings (offhand it sounds like it doesn't).

Here's a quote from one of the most recent user reviews:

[quote name='some newegg guy']I've got mine running DDR2-800 at 4-5-5-12-1T at 2.1V, and it's stable, even in torture tests. [/quote]

Windows Vista scoring is pretty crappy. Don't worry about it, aslong as it performs the same then do not worry.

Also, check if your RAM is running in dual channel, also compare pagefiles I think it checks that as well. Also it might take that new feauter into consideration, you know the one that uses memory sticks in a RAM like manner.

bread's done
Back