Windows Vista Question on 32 bit and 64 bit

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I am trying to file the windows vista free upgrade program, but the only options the upgrade site is giving me is the business 32 bit version. My computer has a 64 bit processor. Say I continue with the 32 bit version (since its an upgrade I can get for free) would that be a bad idea? Can the 32 bit version work with a 64 bit processor? If it can, does it make sense? Will I be losing out on performence/features that 64 bit would have? Using common logic, it makes sense that the 32 bit version won't work with a 64 bit processor, but I am asking becausing frickin M$ won't give me the option of the upgrade to the 64 bit ver and because of that I thought maybe the 32 bit ver. will be okay. Normally, I don't need to ask questions like this, but I am getting really confused since M$ is only allowing the 32 bit ver...CAGs, I thank you in advance.

Well is your current windows version 64bit? Probably not and its fine because current mainstream 64bit processors also run 32bit. You'll be fine running 32bit Vista and it will probably work out better. I'm currently running Vista 64bit and its a lot better then XP 64bit, but it still has some quirks with less driver support and some apps need tweaks to run properly.

[quote name='maxgeek']Well is your current windows version 64bit? Probably not and its fine because current mainstream 64bit processors also run 32bit. You'll be fine running 32bit Vista and it will probably work out better. I'm currently running Vista 64bit and its a lot better then XP 64bit, but it still has some quirks with less driver support and some apps need tweaks to run properly.[/quote]

Yeah, I did some research on google. Looks like I will be fine with the 32 bit, but just want to make sure I won't be losing out since I have a 64 bit processor. I am currently runing XP Home, which I believe is 32 bit.

I have two other questions: Running the 32 bit ver, will I still be able to take full advantage of the power of myamd athlon 64. In other words, will my PC run faster/better with the 64 bit processor running 32 bit ver. or will the performance be the same as a 32 bit processor. I know this sounds confusing, look below.

32 bit vista w/ 64 Processor > 32 bit vista w/32 bit processor

or

32 bit vista w/ 64 Processor = 32 bit vista w/32 bit processor​

Side note: how is vista btw?

[quote name='kevzik']I have two other questions: Running the 32 bit ver, will I still be able to take full advantage of the power of myamd athlon 64. In other words, will my PC run faster/better with the 64 bit processor running 32 bit ver. or will the performance be the same as a 32 bit processor. I know this sounds confusing, look below.[/quote]

Realistically neither of the options you picked-realistically the 32-bit version will probably run better because it's got better support and driver support (I thought Vista was shipping with both versions on the disc though, with the option to install either mode when you install it?)

Anyway the only difference between them in terms of performance is 64-bit x86 has 16 registers exposed to compilers, while 32-bit x86 has 8 (in reality of course all x86 processors have had far, far more registers than that for years, but the CPU itself has to manage them).

Aside from that change, there's no performance difference. Actually all things being equal 64-bit mode is slower because the memory addresses are longer.

[quote name='PieLover']Whoa...what is the free vista upgrade program you speak of and how do i get in?[/QUOTE]

It's for people who bought computers in the last few months. You had to already know about it when you bought the system. ie select the upgrade option in Dell's configuration pages.

A 64bit processor will work fine with a 32bit apps/OS but it offers little to no advantages over a 32bit processor.

But a 64bit processor with a 64bit OS works wonders. It's amazing how much faster everything runs at 64bit. It's just too bad that very few software makers make 64bit apps and 32bit apps are rarely compatible with 64bit OS.

[quote name='Vinny']A 64bit processor will work fine with a 32bit apps/OS but it offers little to no advantages over a 32bit processor.

But a 64bit processor with a 64bit OS works wonders. It's amazing how much faster everything runs at 64bit. It's just too bad that very few software makers make 64bit apps and 32bit apps are rarely compatible with 64bit OS.[/QUOTE]

It shoulnd't be unless it needs tons of RAM (or if the register issue makes a big difference...I don't know, maybe it does).

[quote name='Wolfpup']It shoulnd't be unless it needs tons of RAM (or if the register issue makes a big difference...I don't know, maybe it does).[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, my system and whatever 64bit apps were available for XP64 ran roughly 2x as fast as they did with XP Pro. I mean, there's a reason why there are just as many 64bit processors today as there are 32bit processors.

[quote name='Vinny']From what I've seen, my system and whatever 64bit apps were available for XP64 ran roughly 2x as fast as they did with XP Pro. I mean, there's a reason why there are just as many 64bit processors today as there are 32bit processors.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, that's just because almost every single CPU sold in years has been 64-bit. Core 1 and the Pentium M were the last 32-bit CPUs sold in like two or three years.

Apparently the register thing really does make a difference, so that's cool to hear!

My understanding though is that Vista's 64-bit mode doesn't include WoW for 16-bit apps, which sucks.

Does Vista include both versions on the disc, and just let you select which you want to install?

You have to watch out with 64 bit windows vista, ALL DRIVERS HAVE TO BE SIGNED BY MICROSOFT. If a problem is exposed because there is a hole in the driver all Microsoft has to do is unsign that driver and it won't work anymore until it is fixed.

[quote name='likeaphoenixignition']You have to watch out with 64 bit windows vista, ALL DRIVERS HAVE TO BE SIGNED BY MICROSOFT. If a problem is exposed because there is a hole in the driver all Microsoft has to do is unsign that driver and it won't work anymore until it is fixed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it seems MS wants people to have really stable PCs by not letting you put a driver on your PC that they haven't tested. It's a pain but sooner or later 64 bit will be the norm.

My worry is if MS doesn't put out a new OS in the next 5 years I'll have to re-buy the 64 bit version if I own the 32 bit version now. I'm sure support for 64 bit will be better in the years to come.

[quote name='KingDox']Yeah it seems MS wants people to have really stable PCs by not letting you put a driver on your PC that they haven't tested. It's a pain but sooner or later 64 bit will be the norm.

My worry is if MS doesn't put out a new OS in the next 5 years I'll have to re-buy the 64 bit version if I own the 32 bit version now. I'm sure support for 64 bit will be better in the years to come.[/quote]
‹2151› ‹Phrost› question
‹2152› ‹Phrost› lets say ms gives you a vista code.. will it work on both 32 bit and 64bit versions?
‹2152› ‹Phrost› or do you hae to rebuy
‹2152› ›› [Quit(lumpTaz)] ([email protected]) Quit (Operation timed out)
‹2152› ‹TheWahbinator› no same product key for both arch's
‹2152› ‹Phrost› ok thanks

So... to OP: get whatever MS sends you just for the activation code. After you get it, you can illegally download the 64bit version from your torrent tracker of choice and use your legit code.

Well that's good news... I'm hoping that my university gets them before I leave so that I can pick it up for cheap. If they can sell me XP Pro w/ SP2 plus XP 64bit for $15, then I'm sure Vista won't be that much more.

Since we're on the topic of Windows Vista.....I recently found out that my XP serial of over a year is not legit anymore (crappy dealer). So if I bought an upgrade version of Vista would it still work?

[quote name='PhrostByte']‹2151› ‹Phrost› question
‹2152› ‹Phrost› lets say ms gives you a vista code.. will it work on both 32 bit and 64bit versions?
‹2152› ‹Phrost› or do you hae to rebuy
‹2152› ›› [Quit(lumpTaz)] ([email protected]) Quit (Operation timed out)
‹2152› ‹TheWahbinator› no same product key for both arch's
‹2152› ‹Phrost› ok thanks

So... to OP: get whatever MS sends you just for the activation code. After you get it, you can illegally download the 64bit version from your torrent tracker of choice and use your legit code.[/quote]

HAha, I may look further into this...Thanks!

bread's done
Back