Winners Announced! The Top 150 Games That I Own and Have Never Played

I thought I had a backlog of games. I think I have 40 still sealed.

Here's my vote. Although it's June now and I haven't seen a winner so here you go.

100 Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
61 Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
65 Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)
27 Fable (Xbox)
125 Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (Xbox)

[quote name='Indiana']I thought I had a backlog of games. I think I have 40 still sealed.

Here's my vote. Although it's June now and I haven't seen a winner so here you go.

27 Fable (Xbox)
125 Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (Xbox)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for voting, but I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Although it's June now and I haven't seen a winner." Maybe you just misunderstood the contest rules? I'll be adding a new prize everyday in June. On July 1st, there will be a random drawing to see who wins the whole lot of prizes.

Man so many good games. I picked Boktai because July 1st is the perfect time to start playing this game since you need sunny weather. I picked Star Wars because it was the best of the GCN launch titles , RE 4 because, well it's RE 4 and Ages & Seasons because these games were sadly overlooked due to poor timing.

Boktai (GBA)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages (GBC)
Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons (GBC)

1. Castlevania SOTN. I see it's listed a lot in this thread already...but there's a reason. The absurd voice-acting is the icing on the BLOOD CAKE.

2. GTA:VC. San Andreas was ok, but this was my personal favorite. By far the most stylized of the GTA games.

3. Hulk-Ultimate Destruction. I guess you could say it's similar to GTA:VC in that there's a lot of freedom, but I don't see much similarity besides that. One of the best "mindless fun" games in the current (or is that previous?) console era.

4. Knights of the Old Republic. I generally don't even like Star Wars and I thought this game was awesome. I generally don't even like RPGs and I played this game non-stop until I was through it. Currently working on the sequel, which is also really good.

5. Eternal Darkness. Highest possible recommendation - and I'm not a fan of the Gamecube. This one comes with a caveat, though - if you know the spoilers for this game it's not nearly as good. If you've managed to avoid reading about it for the most part, though...go ahead. If you've had it spoiled for you in the past, go with MGS: Subsistence.

TOP 3 PSX
32 Final Fantasy Anthology (PSX) - Mainly for Final Fantasy VI
33 Final Fantasy Chronicles (PSX) - For both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV
14 Chrono Cross (PSX)

TOP 3 PS2
39 Final Fantasy X (PS2)
20 Disgaea (PS2)
54 La Pucelle Tactics (PS2)

TOP 3 XBOX
41 Gladius (Xbox)
141 TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (Xbox)

TOP 3 SNES
105 Secret Of Mana (SNES)
56 Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
104 Secret Of Evermore (SNES)

TOP 3 N64
78 Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
57 Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
6 Banjo-Tooie (N64)

TOP 3 GCN
72 Metroid Prime (GCN)
120 Skies of Arcadia (GCN)
129 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (GCN)

TOP 3 GBA
34 Final Fantasy I & II (GBA)
74 Metroid: Fusion (GBA)
10 Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon (GBA)

TOP 3 GEN
113 Shining Force II (GEN)
88 Phantasy Star IV (GEN)
87 Phantasy Star III (GEN)

TOP 3 OTHER
76 Nights (Saturn)
46 Grandia II (DC)
11 Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow (DS)

OVERALL TOP 10

Vote-Getters:
1. Final Fantasy Anthology
2. Final Fantasy Chronicles
3. Secret of mana
4. Gladius
5. Chrono Cross

Honorable Mentions:
6. Final Fantasy X
7. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
8. Shining Force II
9. Metroid Prime
10. Final Fantasy I&II

My lists are noticeably very RPG heavy, however, these games were the most memorable to me.

*NOTE*You may wish to relinquish Final Fantasy Origins, as it is the same game as Final Fantasy 1&II (Dawn of Souls) for the GBA, only the GBA version has added dungeons and better graphics. The PSX version does include three additional cinema scenes though.

Amazing list of games, and an amazing contest. Stuff like this is why I love this site so much. Anyway, my suggestions, in order:

GTA: Vice City- I second what KaneRobot said above. I liked San Andreas a lot, but Vice City was the best of the series, IMO.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- I only just played this game a year ago myself when a buddy let me borrow it. It's all you've heard it is.

Shadow of the Colossus- Such a great feeling whenever you take one of these giants down. Unlike any other game.

Klonoa 2- Lots of fun, really well designed. I don't care for anime at all, but the art style didn't bother me at all since the game was so good

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction- For when you just want to blow stuff up. A lot.

Here is your 5 must play.

Astroboy GBA - shooters doen't get much better than this, and try to fill your omega factor with out any hints.

shining force 2 - i have loved this stragety game since i first played it.

Castlevania: dawn of sorrow- i'm picking this one over sotn because it already has enough votes, you need to play both of theses games. Castlevania done damn good!

metroid prime- fun atmospheric, visual impressive, i felt like a kid exploring stuff again playing thru. truly a treasure.

eternal darkness- fantastic!

honorable mention
just in case you need one more.

Panzer dragoon otra- this is a series that needs to be played, and otra impresses on all levels.

oh and shipwreck, my birthday is june 19th, i'd be happy to recieve any of your excess games:)

I love the idea of this thread....cuz I am in the same boat! I have always been a very casual gamer with little time to devote to games--but I read about so many great games that when I find them on a discount, I pick them up. I probably have over 100 good non-played games dating back to the SNES myself.

Here's my list:

5. Metroid Prime I'm not a first-person shooter guy, but this really is immersive and fun....solid gameplay and it lures you in.

4. Klonoa 2 I've only played the GBA version, but I love it--very relazing way to spend time. I just love the music and visuals--but it's the gameplay that just suckers me in.

3. DK Jungle Beat This REALLY IS a fun game. I didn't expect it to be at all...but it was fun and I found myself wanting to play just one more level. Plus, it's short enough that you can finish it and feel you've knocked off one from the list ;)

2. Pikmin Unique, fun, charming---just a real winner.

1. Zelda Link to the Past Tied with Super Mario World for my all-time favorite game. I just started Zelda Wind Waker this past week (doing the same-thing--realizing I should really play some games I own before I buy more) and it IS really fun.....but I just love the classic 2-D play of Link to the Past.....it's easier to control, and I found myself being challenged and having to think throughout--but in a really fun way.

BrerDan

Quite the selection....

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: Still the best strategy game of all time.
2. Shadow Hearts 2: Great battle system. You will remain entertained.
3. Rez: Short and sweet.
4. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night: Like they said.
5. Secret of Mana: The best RPG from the SNES era is this one.

Seriously, this looks about like my backlog. I've got stuff still hanging around from the Genesis / SNES, and even NES days. Of course, most of the good NES stuff has been beaten, but hey... And my PSX RPG backlog is horrible. So many games, so little time. Ah, the life of a Ph.D. student.

Anyhow, my top choices, from games that I have either beaten, or even re-beaten. In my book, if I stuck with 'em, they're good. Of course, there's a lot more that I'd like to add, but with only five choices, it's gonna be limited.

So, in no particular order...

1.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

It's good. It's really, really good. Basically "Metroid-vania". I just played and beat this one again recently. I also highly recommend Dawn of Sorrow, but it's very similar, so the magnum opus that is SoTN must be mentioned instead.

2.) Tales of Symphonia

Seriously, this is the greatest RPG for the 'cube, and maybe the best of this generation. I actually liked the story, despite many reviewers' claims that it was rather trite, and the battle system is the smoothest thing this side of Soul Calibur. It kept me interested for 50+ hours, so by all means, go for it!

3.) Dragon Warrior VII

Wait, what the...? Yes, I know some will question my judgment, but hear me out. The game, graphically, looks horrible, not unlike many other PSX titles. It does manage to keep framerate most of the time, though. It also has one of the longest, most inane intro sequences in recent memory (3 hours to face a slime! Madness!). But once you start unlocking continents, and seeing what your effects have on each area that you save, it starts to get addictive, not unlike the Soul Blazer series. Couple that with a stellar class system, and you've got one of the most underappreciated RPGs around. I personally put in close to 100 hours on this one back in the day, so there was SOMETHING there.

4.) Phantasy Star IV

Another DW-style RPG, but with a much more sci-fi manga bent to it. I enjoyed this one tremendously as well, and highly recommend it to all those who want to see what Phantasy Star was BEFORE it turned into a pretty Diablo.

5.) Shining Force 2

As much as I'd like to put a ton of other games up here, Shining Force is still, in my opinion, the greatest strategy RPG of all time. No, it's not deep like Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics, but for overall balance of gameplay, this one really does it for me. Couple it with excellent graphics and a surprisingly decent soundtrack for Genesis standards, and you've got a winner. And to see Camelot's later work, check out Golden Sun 1 and 2!

Wow, the stuff I had to leave off... I still have Dawn of Sorrow, Golden Sun, Kirby 64, Metroid Prime, Zelda 3, Ratchet 3...

Anyway, this will mostly be good for old-school kicks. Enjoy!

Sarge out.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GCN)
Klonoa 2 (PS2)
Legend Of Zelda: Minish Cap (SNES)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Resident Evil 4 (GCN)

In no order....

Must play SINGLE PLAYER (In Order)
72 Metroid Prime (GCN)
13 Chronicles Of Riddick (Xbox)
37 Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)

Must play MULTI-PLAYER
138 Tales Of Symphonia (GCN)

Honorable Mention
83 Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)

That list looks like an excuse to get fired from your job and collect unemployment for the two years it'd take to clean up that backlog (of course, with Wii/PS3/Xbox360, it'd just create a NEW one in the process :applause:)

Top 5:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)
2. Disgaea (PS2)
3. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
4. Tales Of Symphonia (GCN)
5. Secret Of Mana (SNES)

Getting into your backlog can be a pain, but you'll be glad that you did it. I'll start you off with some games that are relatively short and you can go from there.

12 Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX) - One of the last great 2D games on a Sony platform. Music that stands out on its own.

26 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GCN) - Involving story, atmospheric, and excellent flow of gameplay.

56 Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) - Best Zelda game to date. This is the reason I bought the SNES. (I was a Sega guy too)

83 Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) - One of the most beautiful games on the Xbox with a story that expands the PD universe and awesome rail-shooting gameplay to boot.

113 Shining Force II (GEN) - Greatest SRPG ever IMO. So many great characters, many of which are hidden. Fantastic replay value.

I picked these games because mainly they aren't as long as some of the other games but they still offer great gameplay, often dipping into several types of genres and making them work. Plus unlike some of the other games mentioned, these don't bog down in levelling up, wandering around aimlessly, or areas where the gameplay just becomes boring. (I don't have an xbox or gamecube so none of those games made my list).

4 Astro Boy (GBA) - great sidescrolling shooter with outstanding graphics. Lots of variety in terms of special moves etc.

66 Mark Of Kri (PS2) - The control scheme makes this game stand out. Fight against multiple enemies with precision, without it becoming a button mashing fest.

67 Maximo Vs. Army Of Zin (PS2) - It's got adventure, action, platforming all rolled into one. Close pick between this and Sly Cooper but Maximo has a bit more depth.

105 Secret Of Mana (SNES) - The best rpg for the SNES. Possibly best action/rpg ever and it has multiplayer.

113 Shining Force II (GEN) - rpg/strategy. A bit simple but that's part of the charm. Great feeling when you find and recruit more and more characters, watching your force grow from 4 people to something like over 20 characters. I still love watching the battle animation.

Edit: How did I miss FFX and how can you not have played this game yet? The best FF game for me because it replaced the crappy ATB system with a more strategic system. Drop Mark of Kri from my list and play FFX.

castlevania:SOTN......... hands down the best PSX game out there. I am sure many people agree that it is one of best games out there, even if its nearly 10 years old. :)

Resident Evil 4
Silent Hill 2
Riddick
Jade Empire
Ogre Battle 64 (I got the last copy of this at Best Buy one time on clearance, and just my luck it was defective, and cuz it was the last one I couldn't exchange it for another)

I can't believe how many great games are in there. You could blindly pick 5 and be satisfied.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - XBox
Castlevania Symphony of the Night - PS1
Resident Evil 4 - GC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence - PS2
Final Fantasy X - PS2

I tried to pick the 5 games that I've played that would be the most fun to play now, without taking into account nostalgia or influence on subsequent games.

Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Xbox)
Disgaea (PS2)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)

K I broke out my TI99-4a from the attic and programed in all the games on your list then I had my TI play them all and debate with me (It has the Speech module attached) as to what it though where the top 5 games that you must play OR it will make you play Global Thermal Neucular War with it.

and here is the top 5 Hands down Best games on your list.

#1 Phantasy Star 4

#2 Silent Hill 2

#3 Fable

#4 Dues Ex: Invisable War

#5 The Suffering

Do not play these games in any other order or it will...
fuck You Up for life.

Sincerely,
Orc

1.) SOTN, first and foremost. Hurry, the fact that you haven't played it is hurting my feelings.

2.) Fear Effect 2. The visuals are a bit antiquated, but the story, intensity and universe are beautiful.

3.) Suikoden. My god, you have been busy, haven't you? One of the most fun RPGs around. Great style.

4.) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Ideally, you should play Aria of Sorrow first, but DoS looks and plays beautifully on the DS.

5.) Grandia 2. Wow - thinking of how much fun I had with that game makes me want to cry. Kind of.

And I'm all about San Andreas, but that should be a continual work-in-progress.

edit:
Yikes. I don't know how I missed Shadows of the Colossus. That game is just. Epic. Replace DoS with SotC, please.

Not in Any particular order though it might be

1. Super Mario Rpg (Easily one of my favorite rpgs ever though i am super biased because i love the mario universe...exceptions: petey the gay piranha, baby anything especially bowser, island delfino and its residents)

2. Final Fantasy Tactics (I could not get into this for the longest time...when I did finally get into it, I spent a couple of nights in a row staying up till well after sunrise)

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (It says Zelda in the title so I do not need to give an explanation)

4. Resident Evil 4 (I got this for ten dollars at TRU because I heard good things and thought it was a bargain...one of the biggest understatements ever...truly the best the current generation has to offer)

5. Metroid Prime (I actually struggled to pick another game because I had it narrowed down to this and like 4 others for you, I went with this because I beat it a month or two ago and really enjoyed it...besides battle with ridley=bliss no matter what metroid you are playing)

1. Ratchet & Clank
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Metroid Prime
4. Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
5. Lunar

I'd also highly recommend the sequels to R&C and Metroid Prime...but you should play the originals first.

Please play:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - You are MISSING OUT.

Final Fantasy IX - I know I'll get a lot of flames for saying this, but this was THE best FF on the regular Playstation. The characters are much more likeable and enchanting, and the storyline actually holds your interest more than "The planet is dying...lifestream...Aeris...blah blah blah."

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - I still say this is better than Ocarina of Time (although by a very close margin). Not only is it the best Zelda game, but it's one of the best games of all time.

Silent Hill 2 - WTF? Yes, Silent Hill 2 gets my vote for pure sentiment. It is this game, and not Halo, that caused me to go out and buy an XBox. I remember watching my college roommate play this with all the lights off in our dorm room at 1 or 2 in the morning. It is all kinds of creepy, and I loved every minute of it.

Super Mario RPG - Genius. Square and Nintendo at their best. Forget Crystal Chronicles. This is the Square game to beat if you own a Nintendo console.

Finally!, someone else out there that knows my pain! Brother, there are so many good games and they will take up years of your time. You are just like me. Man I haven't even opened HALO 2 yet! You just keep buying and buying and don't finish a damn thing. I have over 250 games and about 200 of them are still sealed. But the sad part is that I only finished about 5 of them. I have XBOX, GAMECUBE, GBA SP PS2, DREAMCAST AND PS1. That's not including the following which total over 2000+ games: SUPER NINTENDO, SEGA GENESIS, NES, SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, GAME GEAR, ATARI 2600, and COLECOVISION GAMES.

Just look at it the way I do, if you can't play them all, the longer you hold on to them, the more valuable they become. Eventually you will be sitting on a gold mine. Just don't unwrap anything else unless you intend on playing it through.

Damn the Videogame industry! They used to put out a couple of game a month. Then it was a couple a week. Then they would flood the market with a bunch of crap, and one or two gems a week. Now...It is total madness! Every week there is multiple hits coming out!

This is the one time in my life that I wish they would slow down the development of games for the sake of the Cheap Ass Gamer who can't catch-up.

I know your pain man. God Bless You.

My recommendations:
Gamecube-RE4
PS2-Ratchet and Clank
XBOX-Steel Battallion-Just because it costs more than the system itself!

In no particular order...

Astro Boy (GBA)
An absolutely amazing game. I've had a blast with it, and even though the storyline and cameos probably won't make sense to you unless you're a fan of the source material (I'm not and they didn't), it's still a darn good platformer/shooter and one of the best GBA games I've played.

I need to finish it someday. :oops:

Sly Cooper And The Thevious Raccoonus (PS2)
Beautifully animated, good voice work, and a ton of fun to play. A bit frustrating at times (just wait until you get to the racing levels), but the sheer goodness of the rest of the (platforming and stealth) based game makes up for the few dull spots.

Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
Along with Sly Cooper, one of my favorite PS2 games. This has some platforming elements (notice a pattern here? ;)) but with a heavy emphasis on the guns and weaponry you pick up along the way. It reminded me of Jet Force Gemini a lot, but since I've only got room for one on the list and because you've got some Ratchet sequels to play through too...well, the choice was obvious. :)

Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
There's a reason why this game is legendary. I have a feeling this one will do well in the rankings, and might win...which would be good, as it's probably one of the few "must play" titles that you could get a consensus on. Assuming you like RPGs (which I'd have to, going from the Final Fantasy games on your list), you won't regret this one at all.

And finally...well, I've never played this one (no Saturn), but I'd suggest giving...
Nights (Saturn)
...a shot. Again, the cult following is a sign that there's something there to warrant it, and I still haven't lost trust in Sega (though I have yet to play Shadow the Hedgehog, which might eradicate that by itself). Besides, I'd guess your Saturn doesn't get a ton of loving. Change that. :D

Since we're supposed to stick to five, don't count this as a vote, but remember one thing: you live in Ohio. If you're ever going to play Boktai (GBA), do yourself a favor and start it while there's plenty of sun ahead of you. It's a good game, according to my sister; I can't speak for it myself, but I know how weather in the Midwest works and I think you might want to seize your chance.

Here's hoping you enjoy whatever we pick for you. Now, get out there and play something! ;)

OK.. umm.. here's a recommendation of what NOT to play. Take that Dragon Warrior VII of yours.. then buy a bottle of Captain Morgans and some Cherry Pepsi or Mountain Dew. Make a fire pit. Wait until nightfall.. then, initiate a drunken ceremony of game sacrifice to ward off the evil random battle spirits. Seriously dude.. that game will cause you to begin taking Nexium for heartburn, and will destroy any desire you have to play a game with the dated random battle system in the future. Do yourself this favor.. trust me.

72 Metroid Prime (GCN)
134 Super Mario RPG (SNES)

here's my suggestion, in order:
12 Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
73 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN)

holy crap. you've got a decent collection of games! and these are just the ones you haven't played!?

#1 Shadow Of The Colossus (PS2) - the fucking bomb!
#2 Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
#3 Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
#4 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
#5 Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)

12 Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
You CAN'T go wrong with this, the best game from that whole generation IMO

Yes its a BIT different from most Zelda games (My favorite series(, but DARN if its not awesome as well.

69 Mercenaries: Playground Of Destruction (Xbox)
My most plesant surprize from the current/last generation. Lots of fun to be had with this title

76 NiGHTs (Saturn)
I remember playing the import version of this and the import version of Mario 64 in the same week so many years ago before they came out over here...I thought NiGHTS was more fun.

82 Otogi 2 (or Otogi 1) (Xbox)
One of the BIGGEST injustices in the PS2/GC/Xbox era. Only 30k copies of this game were bought? That just sickens me. Two of by far the most beautiful games the Xbox had to offer. It really had personality in spades. I impore anyone that doesnt have these two games to get them while they can.

27 Fable (Xbox)
134 Super Mario RPG (SNES)
89 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

2 Arc The Lad Collection (PSX)
37 Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)
46 Grandia II (DC))
96 Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
111 Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Volume 1 (PS2)

The only bad thing is three of those can be very long RPGs--I probably spent a total of 200+ hours on FFT, which is a lot for me, my interest usually caps out at 40-50 hours. FFT, apart from needing some major proofreading, is pretty much strategy RPG perfection in my eyes. Grandia 2 is a relatively short, linear RPG, and R&C of course is a very engaging action game. I say start with the first one, then move on to 2 and 3, because they're all great games.

You haven't played RE4? :whistle2:s I bought a system just to play that game. :D

my votes
44 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Xbox)
116 Silent Hill (PSX)
99 Resident Evil 0 (GCN)

and 5A = Shadow Of The Colossus (PS2) I don't have a PS2 but that and God of War have my full attention when I get one.

Advance Wars 2. Definitely Advance Wars 2. I loved it, and the only reason I bought it was because Best Buy had it for $10.

01 - Resident Evil 4
02 - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
03 - Metroid Prime
04 - Pikmin 2
05 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

near misses:

Riddick
Pikmin
Silent Hill 2
Eternal Darkness
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

you picked a good time to do this...this summer has absolutely nothing coming out. i tried to mix my top 5 up to avoid covering the same genre over and over. you have the best of the action, stealth, and adventure genres represented as well as a fantastic strategy game and an epic cinematic experience. i don't know about you, but i wouldn't want to sit around all summer playing rpgs...unless it's oblivion.

holy crap thats a lot of games

1) Resident Evil 4
2) Nights
3) Castlevania SotN
4) Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
5) Mario Kart: Double Dash

The only thing is, Mario Kart isnt that fun by yourself but if you get a bunch of friends together to play with you its awesome.

and dont bother with Golden Sun, I dont know about the sequel but the first one is full of every RPG cliche you can think of. if you ever played an rpg since the SNES days you've played this game.

bread's done
Back