*** Winners of the First Annual Cheapy Awards ***

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Since CheapAssGamer.com was started in May 2003, we've all seen a lot of deals come and go and have learned a lot about all the various gaming retailers. As we look back on 2003, its time to cheer those that have been good to us, and to jeer those who haven't.

I know I originally said I was going to set up polls, which would help me decide the winners, but honestly, it was just too much trouble. Hopefully, you agree with most of my choices. If not, post in this thread and let your opinion be heard.

Best Cheap Ass Online Retailer

Winner: EBgames.com
EBgames.com, in this cheap ass gamer’s opinion, is hands down the best online game retailer. A seemingly never-ending tide of cheap ass deals and a $2 shipping option with no tax for most shoppers is a great combination. EB’s customer service is also top-notch.
Countless great deals in 2003 including the famous $5 Rygar (PS2) and $5 Robotech Collector’s Edition (GC). The deals have been so good, I feel like EBgames.com deserves a Thank You card.

Honorable Mention: Amazon.com
Amazon (Toys R Us) has had some great deals in 2003, including buy 2 and buy 1 get 1 free promotions, $20 off coupon codes, $10 Onimusha 2 (PS2) with free shipping, along with many others. Hopefully 2004 will bring more sales with free shipping offers or perhaps a cheaper shipping option.

Worst Online Retailer

Winner: BestBuy.com
BestBuy.com pissed off a lot of CAGs by backordering and then canceling orders. The tragedy here is that BestBuy.com has a lot of potential with their free shipping policy and frequent markdowns. Here’s hoping that 2004 is the year they get their act together.

Best Cheap Ass Offline Retailer

Winner: Target
With 30,000+ views, the “Target Clearance Thread” is one of the most popular topics on CAG, and for good reason. With so many sub-$10 deals, its no surprise that Target has become a favorite destination for Cheap Ass Gamers across the country.

Honorable Mention: Circuit City
I guess Circuit City really wanted this award, as they started a major clearance sale during the last week in December. They have had some other good deals in 2003, but their clearance sale earned them a special mention here.

Cheap Ass Online Deal of the Year

Winner: Stackable coupons at the EA Store
Its pretty hard to beat 50% off quality new release console games. $5 new GBA games are no joke either. I admit I was skeptical that these were going to go through, as there was a bit of shadyness involved, but EA delivered on most orders and many CAGs rejoiced. You can check out the thread here.

Honorable Mention: $5 Rygar (PS2) at EBgames.com
A sentimental favorite, it was one of the first really exciting deals at CheapAssGamer.com. It paved the way for other $5 love, such as the Robotech Collector's Edition (GC).

Honorable Mention: Gamecube with GameBoy Player $100 at Walmart.com
Walmart has had some nice console bundles in 2003, but I think this one was the best.
Now that I have a GBA SP, I am really kicking myself for not getting in on this deal.

Cheap Ass Offline Deal of the Year

Winner: KB Toys Clearance Sale
You could feel the excitement in the air when Jt2k3 announced this bombshell (thanks Jt2k3!). He even went so far to provide CAG with the official markdown lists. I’m sure KB Toys all across the country were overrun with CAGs and their 7 page printouts.

Honorable Mention: Circuit City Clearance Sale
Man, this was a tough choice, but I just had to give the KB sale a slight edge. Consider the Circuit City sale a very close second. Special thanks to Yeahman, D4rkewolfe, and Dynamite99 for keeping the list up to date.

Honorable Mention: Toys R Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale
The online component of this sale (at Amazon) was kind of lame as it didn’t include all games, but in-store, you could pick any games you wanted.

Congratulations to all the winners!
=D>

I decided to drop that category as it was just too hard to pick a winner. I figured there has been enough drama on the board lately...
Sorry!

Personally I am disappointed. This is a growing community and even though not everyone gets along...we generally stick together and have various discussions of the day. I thought a CAG was gonna get an award and that would have been cool. Honestly it sounds almost silly to give EB or Target an award as if they even care. It's the CAGers who care and take the time to find the deals.

I demand a revote!

sorry for the criticism cheapyd but its how I feel and I wonder how many cagers agree with me...if that even matters...

I agree with Cheapy's decision, but that doesn't mean a few of us can't give a few accolades of thanks. Mr. Rhee, NintendoFanGirl, and OshKoshBiotch are all names I have learned to keep an eye out for to score great CAG opportunities, for instance. Thanks you guys.

For those of us who are real regulars here, we know who our own fave CAGs of the year are, and for myself, it would be hard to pick a fave as well, because so many people have done so much to help with the board.

Well done CheapyD

yea nintendo fan girl gets my unofficial CAGOTY award

mainly because she is always trying and searching, even though some give her a hard time

not to say others do not try, but I have both a GBA(regular, SP, and GBP) along with a gamecube and those being my favorite systems, and NFG delivers quality deals for them

Maybe we could do our own poll. Everyone list some CAG's that deserve the award and if your name is on that list consider yourself one of the Elite CAG's. No Actual counting, and please don't vote for yourself. Personally, even though I'm a newbie, I've already learned to look out for NintendoFanGirl & GrayGhost 81. Personally, they've made my life a lot cheaper and my thanks goes out to them.

Y'know I see at least one award missing though.

How about for SINGLE BEST ITEM. All the awards are for sales and not really an item. I think an award for say...
umm...

Beyond Good and Evil GameCube $9.99 qualifies as one of the best deals this year...or is that a 2004 deal?

[quote name='defender']Y'know I see at least one award missing though.

How about for SINGLE BEST ITEM. All the awards are for sales and not really an item. I think an award for say...
umm...

Beyond Good and Evil GameCube $9.99 qualifies as one of the best deals this year...or is that a 2004 deal?[/quote]

Well, $5 Rygar got honorable mention for online deal of the year, but I'd say BG&E missed the deadline for the 2003 Cheapies. It is the '04 frontrunner right now, but it is early, and I for one hope we find even better deals to knock it out of the running.

I am worried about UbiSoft, though. It is great that we can get their games cheaply, but I am afraid that their practice of deeply discounting games so close to release may be a bad sign of their financial condition. The new Batman went down in MSRP really quickly also (deservedly so, from the reviews I have read), but clearly neither game was intended as valueware. If they can't afford to give a game like BG&E proper advertising and enough time to find a market (and yes, I know that video games have a very small window of opportunity, but this was ridiculous), then I fear for their future viability. I am sure that part of the BG&E difficulty was the initial confusion over MSRP (some stores had it at $49.99 instead of $39.99), but honestly, the competition this holiday season did not seem that fierce to me (I could be wrong), and I think the right marketing could have gone a long way. Sorry for posting this here, I know it is a little off topic, but I wasn't sure if I should start a new topic.

My vote for Cheap Ass Deal for 2004 is the Target Rain Check 63% off deals. That even beats EA stackables. And it's legit! :)

Ahh...five dollar Rygar.

Yeah, CheapyD's right. No need for a divisive "CAG of the year" award. We all know who's helpful and who's not.

my personal favorites:

top choice:
the kb toys guy (that sale was huge!!!)

also:
the bg&e ps2 sale
the one cent game guides

Not sure if it's too early, but I'll nominate CrashSpyro123 for CAGer of the year 2004, for spreading the word through here about CC's 5 buck sale.

I'll nominate *shifts eyes* myself, for the trade 3 get 1 free Hastings deal. (For CAGer of the year.. runner-up, anyways. :p)

I mean, come on, where else could you of traded three copies of Jet Set Radio Future and got a free copy of Riddick? It was the perfect followup to the CC sale.

Crash gets my vote as well. He made me a lot of money in terms of Blockbuster credit when they had the 8$ auto trade in thing.

VOTE CRASHSPYRO123 2004!

Best Cheap Ass Online Retailer

"Winner: EBgames.com
EBgames.com, in this cheap ass gamer’s opinion, is hands down the best online game retailer. A seemingly never-ending tide of cheap ass deals and a $2 shipping option with no tax for most shoppers is a great combination. EB’s customer service is also top-notch.
Countless great deals in 2003 including the famous $5 Rygar (PS2) and $5 Robotech Collector’s Edition (GC). The deals have been so good, I feel like EBgames.com deserves a Thank You card. "

Yeah! Go EB, they let me return an old game Mechassault for a brand new one. The guy was nice, and said I was a frequent customer lol! Anyways EB is awesome.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']I vote we wait until CheapyD tells us if he'll even be doing the awards again this year. :roll:[/quote]

I'm with you on this one. Sheesh. Boy aren't people anxious for these.

we need community awards.

Stuff like best thread/topic, a best thread for each forum, best and worst post, best poster, worst poster, most annoying poster, worst banned poster, poster most likely to jump off a bridge, etc..

We need nominations threads then a final voting thread. I think that would be kind of cool.

Chris

I think that Dell.com 1 day laptop $750 off coupon should have gotten some kind of mention. That deal alone saved me hundereds of bengies.

bread's done
Back