Winnipeg changes city trade by-law (it's better now!)

ikariwarriors

CAGiversary!
CAGs living in Winnipeg may be familiar with a stupid pawn store bylaw that went into effect a couple years ago, effectively limiting game stores to a one-to-one trade ratio (meaning if you traded in seven games, you had to put that credit toward seven other games, no pooling credit).

An EB Games manager told me that the trade law has recently been altered so that a customer may now trade up to five games toward any one item. Consoles may only be put toward another console. I'd link to a news story online to back it up, but I can't find one.

The bottom line is that Winnipeg EB Games are able to do the "Trade 3, Get it Free" deals again, FINALLY.

Just called/tried it, confirmed to work. However, GameStop has apparently removed the "Trade 3, Get it Free" and rather has made it "Trade x amount of games, get 30% bonus per game" this was on Grant Park (GameStop, not EBGames) this'll work on FutureShop and Best Buy too though, I'd assume. This is good news!

That's great to hear!

Maybe they'll be updating the Winnipeg stores to carry the Trade 3 promotion sometime soon. They had to use their own special promos during all the time that by-law restricted them, like the "$30 bump up" when you traded in a game worth $8 or more toward another single game.

Do the Best Buys and Futureshops here take in used games though? I've never seen that before.

I've got no idea, I've never traded into Future Shop or Best Buy. I'd assumed from reading the ads that they allowed it. Still, I'm happy this rule is back, I just turned 18 too so it works out well.

Pretty sure FS and BB do not allow trades in Winnipeg, unless something has recently changed.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like it more now or not. I did enjoy trading a game worth $8 and getting $30 for it. Both are decent, at least, although now at least older games have some value now.

Are there any promotions going on currently to bump up TIV's at EB? I have some PS3 and DS games I want to get rid of. Do they still accept Gamecube or PS2 games still?

Nothing particularly great; there's a percentage bump-up when trading in certain numbers of games (10% on 4 games, 20% on 6 games, 30% on 8+ games). They don't accept Gamecube games but should accept PS2 games, though you probably won't get much for them and the bump-up does not apply to pre-seventh-generation software.

[quote name='Jean Alesi']Are there any promotions going on currently to bump up TIV's at EB? I have some PS3 and DS games I want to get rid of. Do they still accept Gamecube or PS2 games still?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Aquablak']Pretty sure FS and BB do not allow trades in Winnipeg, unless something has recently changed.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like it more now or not. I did enjoy trading a game worth $8 and getting $30 for it. Both are decent, at least, although now at least older games have some value now.[/QUOTE]

First off, THANK YOU for finally finding out. I posed this question a little bit of ago in the Q&A thread, but never got an answer. Although I'll miss the bump to $30, I'll gladly take trade 3 get it free again.

Second, FS and BB had been avoiding Manitoba like the plague because of these stupid Winnipeg laws. With the changes, it's more than possible that they may make changes as well. Here's hoping!

[quote name='Jean Alesi']Are there any promotions going on currently to bump up TIV's at EB? I have some PS3 and DS games I want to get rid of. Do they still accept Gamecube or PS2 games still?[/QUOTE]

EB has the power trade (extra 30%) for...
- Diablo 3 (Available May 15 | PC)
- Max Payne 3 (Available May 15 | PS3, XB360)
- Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Available May 22 | PS3, XB360)
- Dragon's Dogma (Available May 22 | PS3, XB360)
- Lollipop Chainsaw (Available June 12 | PS3, XB360)
- LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Available June 19 | PS3, XB360, Wii, 3DS, DS, PSV, PC)
- The Last Story (Available Summer 2012 | Wii)
- Darksiders II (Available Aug 14 | PS3, XB360, PC)

The only one I'm considering is the Last Story because XSEED even said they're only doing a small print.

[quote name='spidermoore']Any links to official story on this change of by-law?[/QUOTE]

No official news, but I can confirm myself that it's there at GameStop, as I've traded 2 old games in for Dragon's Dogma. As for FS and Best Buy, I don't know.

bread's done
Back