Wireless Gaming Adapter-B $20 Shipped.

Nice, I set one of these up for my brother and it worked great. I have a more expensive D-Link 802.11g adapter that overheats all the time. I'll have to get one of these...

Edit: argh, reseller ratings says these guys have been terrible recently. Not sure I'm going to take the plunge.

might get one of these for my non wireless comp... any one know how it is for web browsing and downloading? does it get the max speed (1.5mbs)?

edit: read reseller ratings and no tnx. to those who still want one they go for about the same price on ebay.

The only problem that I have with this adaptor, which I think alot of people overlook, is that this effectively eliminates your ability to stream video to your 360. You need a G router to accomplish that. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

I bought one of these a while ago for my 360. It works great with 128-bit WEP. I happened to move my 360 to a spot where it was close enough to hardwire it, so I gave the adapter to a buddy. He's had no problem with it either.

I can't believe so many people (including a CAG moderator) think that a few positive anectdotal stories mean it's safe to order from an online retailer with a bad rep. Of course some orders are ok. Typically it's only when they screw up your order and you need customer support that you get hosed by places like this.

Of course, it's only a $20 purchase, so if that's nothing to you then I agree it's no big deal.

[quote name='ma']I can't believe so many people (including a CAG moderator) think that a few positive anectdotal stories mean it's safe to order from an online retailer with a bad rep. Of course some orders are ok. Typically it's only when they screw up your order and you need customer support that you get hosed by places like this.

Of course, it's only a $20 purchase, so if that's nothing to you then I agree it's no big deal.[/QUOTE]

So I should be scared ordering from a place when they shipped the item my friend ordered was shipped in a promptly manner and everything went smoothly? How many people really go to reseller ratings to praise a company? Most people only say anything when things don't go well.

And no one bumped the link play thread bitching about not getting their item.

Office Depot has a linksys Wireless game adapter and wireless music adapter on clearance for 24 bucks was 99.99 YMMV. (Final Markdown)

I bought one today. Haven't used it yet but I have heard good things.

[quote name='blueaurora']Office Depot has a linksys Wireless game adapter and wireless music adapter on clearance for 24 bucks was 99.99 YMMV. (Final Markdown)

I bought one today. Haven't used it yet but I have heard good things.[/QUOTE]
can you link to it online for product id?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']The only problem that I have with this adaptor, which I think alot of people overlook, is that this effectively eliminates your ability to stream video to your 360. You need a G router to accomplish that. If I'm wrong someone correct me.[/quote]

I have one for my 360 and it streams video just fine. I got it at Wal-Mart a long time ago. Its really good. Nice range, Good Signal. I would reccomend it, maybe not from this place but from ebay or whatever.

Hey jedilips,

Since yours just shipped, can you post an update to let us know if it arrived and works ok?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one, but I want to makle sure the vendor is reliable.

Thanks!

can anybody confirm that this works good with the 360 and it wont lag compare to ethernet cable when i play GOW and NBA2K7 online???

[quote name='xx2541']Hey jedilips,

Since yours just shipped, can you post an update to let us know if it arrived and works ok?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one, but I want to makle sure the vendor is reliable.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I will. It will arrive next week thanks to slow UPS shipping (I'm on the East Coast, they are in California)

I've been playing GOW on it w no noticeable lag whatsoever. It's a steal at $20. You can't find them anymore (because they're "b' and not "g"). I haven't had any lag streaming video, either.

[quote name='born2win413']can anybody confirm that this works good with the 360 and it wont lag compare to ethernet cable when i play GOW and NBA2K7 online???[/QUOTE]

I have played loads of GOW and it works fine.

My internet is 3mbs (which is a good speed) and b tops out at 11mbs (don't know in the real world though), I just know it can max out my cable modem.

I highly recommend this product, only downside to this vs. the M$ one is lack of g (not really needed), it is a little bigger and needs it's own power source. But over all for the price it is a great deal, not to mention you can use it with a computer that has Ethernet if you want.

Is there any other viable options for wirless adapters for the 360? I don't want to pay $99 bucks or so for the Microsoft version but I don't want one that's going to burn out in a few months either. Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']So I should be scared ordering from a place when they shipped the item my friend ordered was shipped in a promptly manner and everything went smoothly? How many people really go to reseller ratings to praise a company? Most people only say anything when things don't go well.

And no one bumped the link play thread bitching about not getting their item.[/QUOTE]

In my experience, the true test of an online retailer is what happens when you have to return something. Lots of places hang you out to dry, or put you through a tortuous RMA process and charge a hefty restocking fee.

So one positive order with no problems does not mean a lot to me. All that really tells you is that the place isn't stealing from 100% of their customers.

And if people only leave negative feedback on resellerratings, how does newegg have 13,000 positive reviews? By your logic, the site is useless, and anecdotal evidence is the way to go.

I'm really not trying to get all confrontational about this. It's just that I've had some nightmarish problems with e-tailers, and a crop of bad resellerratings reviews clustered together is a real warning sign.

Like I said before, for $20, it's not the end of the world if they screw you over, so it's no big deal in this case. I wouldn't make a big purchase from them though.

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Is there any other viable options for wirless adapters for the 360? I don't want to pay $99 bucks or so for the Microsoft version but I don't want one that's going to burn out in a few months either. Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Anything that's advertised as a "Wireless Bridge" will probably work, provided that the bridge can talk to your wireless router. I buy Linksys because it's pretty well supported and easy to install (I have enough headaches getting hardware to work at my job, I want things to work when I get home). A Wireless bridge will usually run you $50 or more, so this is definitely a good alternative.

On the topic of this piece of hardware, I bought mine from Amazon a few months ago for about $20, and once I got it configured it's worked like a charm for my Xbox and X360. One note though: DO NOT RUN THE INSTALL PROGRAM ON THE PACKAGED CD. The install will fail and you'll be very frustrated. Google around and find the install file downloadable from a website and that will work (sorry, don't have time to search now, maybe later I'll provide a direct link)

jedilips,

I forgot to ask- when you get this gaming adapter from them, can you also confirm that it is truly NEW and factory sealed as stated on their website and NOT refurbished?

Thanks!

can i use this with my ps3 so i can go online because i dont have the 60GB ps3 i have the 20GB one

[quote name='mofo1115']Unfortunately, shipping is $8 to Pittsburgh. Kinda steep so I'm going to hold off. Thanks for your suggestion![/quote]

IMO it's still a good deal since it's a bit under what you'll pay on eBay.

I bought this adapter a while ago and was using it with my xbox on XBMC....worked great. It's been working great with my 360 for about 2 months and now it's kind of crapping out and losing it's signal a lot. I figured it was my Belkin router being stupid with it so I bought a Linksys 54g router. So now I have both linksys products and I can't connect to the gaming adapter! The whammy on this one comes because I run an almost strictly apple environment in my house (360 is the only thing that resembles a PC). Anyone know how I can get in to this gaming adapter through my mac to try and mess with settings? I was on their tech support chat last night for an hour and the guy just couldn't get through his head that I was using OS 10 and not window (kept asking what version of windows I was using). Any help for this?

It doesn't have a web interface like most adapters do, it has a crappy pc app that you run and use to change settings. I'm pretty sure there's no way to do it with a mac, unless you've got a bootcamp setup with windows.

I bought a few things from Surplus Computers with no problems. (small stuff)

I also placed a $1,500 order for my work, and also had no issues.

I plan on ordering another $500-$600 today (for work) maybe they will give me that $20 item for free. (I doubt it)

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Is there any other viable options for wirless adapters for the 360? I don't want to pay $99 bucks or so for the Microsoft version but I don't want one that's going to burn out in a few months either. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

This one [Zyxel P330w] at CompUSA has a bridge mode which works great with the XBOX 360. It also has 4 ports so you can plug in up to 4 devices/consoles at one time. It sold out on the website but they seem to have it onsale every couple of weeks, however with CompUSA closing so many stores it may be hard to find.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...8&Pn=P_330WC_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router

Just a quick update:

I ordered one from Surplus Computers on Tuesday of this week. It was shipped the next day with a delivery confirmation email and a tracking #. So far so good.

We'll see once it gets here if it is truly "new" as advertised and not a refurb.

Fingers crossed....

[quote name='xx2541']Just a quick update:

I ordered one from Surplus Computers on Tuesday of this week. It was shipped the next day with a delivery confirmation email and a tracking #. So far so good.

We'll see once it gets here if it is truly "new" as advertised and not a refurb.

Fingers crossed....[/QUOTE]

ok im in

heres to hoping that we both get it in good condition

btw if you guys use fatwallet you can get fatcash

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Is there any other viable options for wirless adapters for the 360? I don't want to pay $99 bucks or so for the Microsoft version but I don't want one that's going to burn out in a few months either. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can get a Logitech Play Link. It's like a ethernet extension cord. Just plug an ethernet cord (which is included in the box) in one small box and then connect your system into the other. It requires no special setup, and is cheap and easy.
See http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130612

I've got a used one of these that I'll someone for cheaper than $20 shipped. I just bought a normal bridge to use that had web interface. Let me know...and good luck.

Got my order from Surplus Computers last night. Adapter was brand new and not refurbished. Plugged it into my 360 and it worked right away. Haven't had time to mess with streaming of video and audio, but I played a game of Rainbow Six Vegas with no lag.

[quote name='jedilips']Got my order from Surplus Computers last night. Adapter was brand new and not refurbished. Plugged it into my 360 and it worked right away. Haven't had time to mess with streaming of video and audio, but I played a game of Rainbow Six Vegas with no lag.[/quote]
When did you order? Did they send you a shipping notice?

Can this adapter be used as an bridge? I have a 360, replay tv, and xbox hooked up through a switch. I'm in the market for a cheap bridge that can stream. If not, does anyone have a suggestion? thanks..

[quote name='dolfan']When did you order? Did they send you a shipping notice?[/quote]
Ordered the day it was posted (the 2nd), shipped that Monday (the 5th)... got an e-mail with UPS tracking that evening.

Took 5 business days to get here because I'm on the East Coast...

[quote name='jedilips']Ordered the day it was posted (the 2nd), shipped that Monday (the 5th)... got an e-mail with UPS tracking that evening.

Took 5 business days to get here because I'm on the East Coast...[/quote]
Thanks, I ordered last Friday and have not gotten a shipping notice. Hope it gets here soon.

[quote name='rg0019']Can this adapter be used as an bridge? I have a 360, replay tv, and xbox hooked up through a switch. I'm in the market for a cheap bridge that can stream. If not, does anyone have a suggestion? thanks..[/QUOTE]

Is 802.11b fast enough for streaming? I would think you might want g for that.

You should be aware that this Linksys thing is not strictly a bridge. It does some kind of weird NAT stuff, because the IP address I get when using one is not on the same subnet as my router. It works great for one console (I have tested xbox & 360), but I would be a little nervous to hook one up to your configuration.

bread's done
Back