Wireless Router recommendations?

The Linksys WRT54G2 is likely around that price point and is really easy to set up and use. That's what I recommend to most people who have little to no networking experience.

Also, PLEASE set up and use WPA2 encryption on the wireless, change the broadcast name, etc. Also chance the router login. Don't be one of those people with a network called Linksys that has no encryption.

[quote name='YodaEXE']The Linksys WRT54G2 is likely around that price point and is really easy to set up and use. That's what I recommend to most people who have little to no networking experience.

Also, PLEASE set up and use WPA2 encryption on the wireless, change the broadcast name, etc. Also chance the router login. Don't be one of those people with a network called Linksys that has no encryption.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm definitely going to be using encryption and whatnot considering I live in an apartment complex. I'm looking at the reviews for it and I'm seeing several of them all bringing up the fact that dropped connections are an issue...which is troubling because I want to use the router for gaming on my PC/Xbox 360 (the 360 will be connected with an ethernet cable) while my girlfriend is just browsing facebook or chatting on MSN. So are there any other recommendations for ones that don't have a habit of dropping/losing connection? I don't need the wireless signal to go that far, I just want it to maintain a good signal with a laptop in the same room and an Xbox connected by a cable.

I use the WNR1000 and it works fine for me. I maintain a solid wifi connection about 40 feet to my 360 through walls.Cost right around $50 as well(certainly no more than that)

i too need a wireless router. the one i'm using now is starting to crap out and will drop/restart connections if another device turns on.

thanks btw1217, i think you just sold me.

[quote name='Moltres423']I use the WNR1000 and it works fine for me. I maintain a solid wifi connection about 40 feet to my 360 through walls.Cost right around $50 as well(certainly no more than that)[/QUOTE]

I got one of those myself, prior to that I used a WRT54G2.

Mine recently took a shit so I grabbed one of these for 59 (I know you wanted to stay 10 bucks less though) I think it was and it goes from the corner of the downstairs living room, through the floor, through the kitchen, through a floor and up to the 3rd floor where my ps3 is and it works just fine. I get like 80% signal strength and its enough I can play games online like shooters just fine. So I got like 3 or 4 wall penetration looking at it diagnoally and through 3 room. So Im pleased it it. My cell phone can see the router on the wifi menu from my neighbors house in their downstairs living room. So the range on it is good.

I like linksys anyway, Ive always had good luck with them. And I like it has wired inputs also for my computers because I prefer a wired signal over wireless, but it is nice for my ps3 since running network cable up to my room would have been a pain in the ass.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124385&cm_re=e1000-_-33-124-385-_-Product

EDIT newegg has a 10 dollar coupon code for this router for next 48 hours so its about 50 now instead of 60 With $10.00 Promo Code
EMCYXZY38

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone needs one, I have for sale. Just PM I'll send you the specs and price. It is a Linksys router similar to the N routers posted in the thread, but I'm not sure it is an N router (has the same housing design).

bread's done
Back