wisdom teeth

dude2003

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
i think mines are coming out and they are hurting bad. i'm having a headache and my whole side of the mouth/neck is sore. made an appointment with a dentist tomorrow to check out/have them pulled. question is: how long will it hurt after having them pulled? i can't be out of work for more than 2 days. anyone else had a bad experience with wisdom teeth?

I had all 4 pulled, and could have worked the next day.

Would depend on what kind of job you do. I am at a desk so was low stress.

Edit:
Mine were not impacted or anything.
Needed to pull one to get a cavity, so they pulled them all.

If there is pain before, you may have more pain after.

As long as your job enables you to work slightly doped up on codeine, you can work after 2 days if nothing is seriously messed up.

All four of mine came in sideways, and I wasn't allowed to eat solid foods for three weeks.

It all depends on the procedure and how your mouth handles it. I was pretty messed up for almost a week, but I've heard people who were only in pain for like a day or two.

Mine must have been pretty impacted (they were hurting after all, or I wouldn't have gone to the dentist in the first place). My neck was bruised and turned green and also ended up with a black eye. It sucked but only lasted a few days - mashed potatoes FTW.

The good part is, as long as they put you out, you have no idea what's happened. I was scared to death to have this done - I have a general fear of the dentist (pediatric dentist filled some cavities without novacaine when I was young) but I just sort of faded out of consiousness and woke up afterward.

If I can handle this anyone can. Of course he prescribed two valium to take before I came in. Must have worked, I wasn't that freaked.

[quote name='dude2003']i think mines are coming out and they are hurting bad. i'm having a headache and my whole side of the mouth/neck is sore. made an appointment with a dentist tomorrow to check out/have them pulled. question is: how long will it hurt after having them pulled? i can't be out of work for more than 2 days. anyone else had a bad experience with wisdom teeth?[/QUOTE]
i had my teeth removed on april 21. i can honestly say that i was in far more pain BEFORE they were removed. my gums were swollen and irritated and i could barely eat i was in so much pain (i would literally wait until i was starving before i would think about eating.)

i opted for iv sedation and don't remember anything from 2 minutes after the iv was in until the dentist woke me up and it was over. i filled out my persciptions for penicillin and tylenol 3 ahead of time, so they were waiting at home for me. i experienced some soreness and minor pain, but it was worth it. i think by tuesday nite i had weaned myself off the tylenol 3 (i probably didn't even need it that long) and by thursday i was back to eating normally.

every case is different with wisdom teeth, but the longer you wait, the more risks there are and the longer the recovery times will be. i heard the horror stories, but my experience was quite pleasant.

It's different for everyone.

My story: I was completely fine. Never took a single pain pill. They bled for about 12 hrs, so I had to keep gauze on em, but after that, no pain, nothing.

Sister: Horrible, horrible pain. The pain meds they gave were NOT touching it (IDK what they gave her, but it was supposed to be wicked strong, and it still hurt like hell)

Friend: No pain, but missed 3 days of school due to an alergic reaction to either the sleeping gas or the meds. His cheecks puffed up like a squirell with nuts in it's mouth.

Soooo, it's different for everybody, and I guess just hope you're in my case.

I had mine taken out 10 years ago (I actually still have the teeth too). Didn't hurt one bit and I didn't even have to take any of the pain pills they gave me. I was totally under when they did the procedure. Top 2 wisdom teeth were easy to remove but the bottom two were growing in sideways, so they really had to dig around to get those out.

The only problem was that I bled a lot and threw up later that night because I swallowed so much blood (was that Fight Club where they say a man can swallow up to a pint of his own blood before he vomits?).

My brother on the other hand was in incredible pain when he had his removed. That was his fault though because you aren't supposed to have anything to eat or drink 24 hours before the procedure. He drank a glass of water the morning of though so they couldn't put him under. Ouch.

It really varies for each person, but for me when I had mine out, there was very little pain, in fact I had mine removed early in the morning and by dinner time I was able to eat a hamburger and french fries with very little pain at all.

3 of my 4 were impacted, 2 of those fully impacted. I was pretty out of it for a week.

You might try to see if you want schedule it before the weekend or some time you're free from work.

I went to my dentist today, said I didn't have enough space for my wisdom teeth. Probably eventually going to get them pulled..

What exactly does "impacted" mean? I'm getting mine out next month, and I wanted to know how bad they might be, as being impacted seems to make it worse from what I've read in these posts. Yes, I know that's probably a dumb question, but this is why I am not premed or predentistry.

I have to get mine out sometime this summer.
I remember when my brother got them out a few months ago he felt sick the first day and after that he was pretty much fine.

bread's done
Back