Wish I was there: Meijer accidentally marks everything 50% off

icruise

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I thought you guys might be interested in this:

Midwest grocery giant Meijer experienced a computer glitch that marked nearly everything in their 179 stores (including their gas stations) 50% off for about 60 minutes.

I'll take 10 PS3s, please!

I have never been to Meijer but do they generally have good customer service? I am asking since the article says:
"Several customers noticed the glich when they got home, and offered to come back and pay the proper price. Meijer refused. "
If it was Best Buy, I couldn't see as many people offering to do that

I would have gone for a PS2, 360 and a Wii (if they had it)

I'd like a $85 PSP, please.

That's actually about the high ceiling of what I'd pay for one..

I actually work at a Meijer and was running a lane when it happened even though I'm not a cashier.

Anyway...

For some reason for about an hour, every time something got scanned at the register, a coupon would pop up that said, "Area Accent Rugs 50% Off Applied." Except no one was buying rugs and everything was coming up half off. I told some other employees but I knew we'd be shit canned if we actually took advantage of the deal. I know some employees who did, in fact, buy some stuff at 50% off. Some bought it because of the glitch and some didn't even realize it. However, the next day the store director said he was checking people's employee dicount cards and anyone who took advantage of the price mistake that worked there would have to return and pay the other 50% or they would be terminated.

Bullshit if you ask me. My buddy got Guitar Hero II for 360 for $45. ^_^

Also, while I was running a lane (and most stuff that came through was groceries except for a few articles of clothing and some DS accessories) I was told to continue running the lane like normal and the glitch would be resolved shortly. So, for that hour everyone in my lane got their stuff for half off.

[quote name='valor19'] However, the next day the store director said he was checking people's employee dicount cards and anyone who took advantage of the price mistake that worked there would have to return and pay the other 50% or they would be terminated.

Bullshit if you ask me. My buddy got Guitar Hero II for 360 for $45. ^_^[/quote]

What if those people didn't use their discount card? Lol, I would've just taken the 50 percent off and not use whatever tiny employee discount you would get. Really, only those looking to get fired would've double dipped there.

See this is a situation, where if you are an employee, you pay cash and that's that, no paper trail for your employer to find. If the employee didn't use their discount card I don't think they'd spend the time trying to track down every person who took advantage of the error.

That's pretty crappy that they're making their employees pay the remaining 50% from the items especially after refusing the money from other customers who were willing to pay them back.

[quote name='T-Shirt Ninja']See this is a situation, where if you are an employee, you pay cash and that's that, no paper trail for your employer to find. If the employee didn't use their discount card I don't think they'd spend the time trying to track down every person who took advantage of the error.

That's pretty crappy that they're making their employees pay the remaining 50% from the items especially after refusing the money from other customers who were willing to pay them back.[/QUOTE]

No its not, its an integrity issue in the clearest sense.

bread's done
Back