Witcher 2 $30 on Gamersgate

My Witcher 2 key from Direct2Drive bought before launch is not in the format that Steam dictates can be activated there.

"Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM"

[quote name='loomis1975']My Witcher 2 key from Direct2Drive bought before launch is not in the format that Steam dictates can be activated there.

"Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM"[/QUOTE]

Witcher 2 is not a steamworks game so it will cannot be activated on Steam. The only exception to this is the Russian version of it is a steamworks game. Either way, it's still a great game and if you have a computer that can run it, it's a steal at $30 and goes towards supporting a great developer.

Those instructions for GOG.com might be only for versions bought from them and everybody else can just download the path and install it themselves. GOG.com probably had to get a special installer made since if I recall they're the only ones that got DRM-free version of the game.

There are a lot of games that aren't Steamworks that activate on Steam, but most are way older than Witcher 2. Going forward, I'm guessing its probably going to be Steamworks only titles that will activate.

The key format I posted is the format that Steam says will activate, so I guess thats the Russian format. The formats I have seen don't have the first two characters on the front.

And it is a great game. Got it pre-launch for about $33 from Direct2Drive.

[quote name='Thongsy']Those instructions for GOG.com might be only for versions bought from them and everybody else can just download the path and install it themselves. GOG.com probably had to get a special installer made since if I recall they're the only ones that got DRM-free version of the game.[/QUOTE]

Further below that page are instructions for other versions of The Witcher 2, but I know what you're trying to say. There was a lot of confusion about how to patch the game across the board. One thing I wish is that CD Projekt would just give GOG.com and other portals a unified patcher that takes the game to 1.3 regardless of which version they have (1.1, 1.2). I own the GOG version which I thought would auto-patch properly but currently doesn't (it only goes to 1.1 I think, regardless of the message). I just patched manually from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 -- not hard at all, but still.

Folks, don't let this dissuade you from getting the game. Patching the game isn't hard, and if you do need help the GOG.com forum is, in my opinion, the best place to go:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/#1312385931

Sales are dead (Gamersgate and Amazon). Was going to finally go ahead and do it after debating all night. Also, I would recommend today's deal - Hamilton's Great Adventure. Its a fun puzzle type game. I enjoyed it a lot.

bread's done
Back