Witcher Enhanced $37 with extras! from Amazon

xycury

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)

the_witcher_logo.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-Enhanced-Pc/dp/B001AH8YSW/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Only 36.99 , 8% off.... with saver shipping!

True you can pick up the original for maybe 29.99 some places but the additional 7 for swag that yeah can be available as downloads... all come in a nice collector box.

I've been wanting to pick it up... and seeing this new expanded version... already put in my preorder.

I hope I did the link right.

Details here... amazon is skimpy.
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/www/ee_description.html

• New box
  • Game DVD
  • Bonus DVD (Editor & 2 Adventures)
  • ‘Making Of’ DVD
  • ‘Inspired By’ Music CD
  • ‘The Witcher OST’ Music CD
  • Game manual
  • Official Game Guide
  • Short story by Andrzej Sapkowski
  • Map of The Witcher's World

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Well, I've gone ahead and put an order down. Will probably chug on my rig at my LCDs native resolution, but I like rewarding good developers. Any one know if the nasty copy protection of the original release is going to rear its head in the EE?[/quote]

the original used TAGES ....

but don't know about the EE.

In an article with the developers, they said they were going to "remove obsolete copy protection" ....

but that could mean an updated version and not just removal.

Honestly with what the EE is, I wouldn't mind it without.

but TAGES isn't that bad... but I would wish they would but in a notice or display saying that TAGES is going to fuck up your game.... you won't notice till you're in it... which would be lame.

What kind of system and video card requirements to run smoothly?
I havent updated my system or video card since I've gotten consoles (PS3, Wii).

If you're card can run say Half Life 2 on max settings smoothly you should be able to run this on at least medium settings pretty well.

I was contemplating taking advantage of the Impulse survey deal, but I'd rather have hard copies of all the discs and books and that's worth a few bucks to me.

Just wondering, any word on what the Atari publish version will use in terms of DRM or copy protection compared to the CD PROJEKTpublish international version?

I'm not buying a censored version of the game. It isn't because of what is censored, it is because I don't support censorship and will not support censorship with my money. I believe that how I spend my money has far more impact on the world than how I vote (yes I do vote anyway).

Lots of people get worked up over DRM, but I see censorship as more evil than that.

If I buy the American censored version it sends a message that I appreciate that the game was censored for my close minded benefit. I won't be doing that.

[quote name='Sideswiper']I'm not buying a censored version of the game. It isn't because of what is censored, it is because I don't support censorship and will not support censorship with my money. I believe that how I spend my money has far more impact on the world than how I vote (yes I do vote anyway).

Lots of people get worked up over DRM, but I see censorship as more evil than that.

If I buy the American censored version it sends a message that I appreciate that the game was censored for my close minded benefit. I won't be doing that.[/quote]

Well it's not that we get a choice in getting it Censored or not... unlike music labels, they release 2... one for MA and one not.

As it stands, it doesn't matter, because you'll still be supporting the company by purchasing from another country.

Look to GoGamer to get some UK versions a couple months from now... probably for the same price, but shipping will kill it.

I would probably also voice your opinion on the forums. Your money alone won't speak volumes since you're still going to buy a version. It would be better to raise concern on their forums that actively read it themselves, that is if you care more about the issue. Writing to congressman/senator/ESRB also would be better.

Anyways, the amount of it is not much. very tiny, plenty of patches that will reverse it.

I don't see it as badly as others that are censored.

As since it doesn't impact the game what-so-ever, gladly giving them money to make a sequel.

And I waited long enough to get this game... !

i wonder if mine will ship today. Amazon said I would get it on the 19th...

[quote name='Pajama_Man']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110288574548

Poo...

Lost my bid at the last minute. I tried finding the validity of it but could not find any info about it. Oh well, it would have been a nice collectors item - and I probably would not had opened it anyway, costing me more to buy another copy hehe. :lol:[/quote]

bummer, though more than a month away?! that they release a version, so what's holding up to a Sept release date? gesh.

oh and huge :applause:

Q: How much is shipping to Canada? (Ottawa, ON, CANADA K1N 9J7) ThanksSep-14-08A: Unfortunately I only ship via FedEx and it cost $62 to ship there.

That's the best way to get bids, and NOT ship worldwide..... +$62 to Canada?! what is that ... next day.. next HOUR?!

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Damnit says it won't ship till 9/22 for me. If that's the case as of 9/21 I'll cancel and just try to find it in store somewhere.[/quote]

did you order through Amazon?

Apparently it should be released today... and my order says Sept 19th for delivery, which I thought was the date Amazon would ship it.

If that's so, I may not get it till Monday... :|

But that's weird because Europe's Witcher isn't shipping/out till Sept 19th also.

I know this will be 39.99 in store.... so not willing to get $3 cheaper?

[quote name='xycury']As it stands, it doesn't matter, because you'll still be supporting the company by purchasing from another country.[/quote]

Well I'd like to think that the import sales of the game would obviously be anticensorship votes. Why else would I import the game?

I know it isn't much censorship, but I don't mind waiting a little longer and spending a little more for this.

Actually, I've already purchased the import version (through GoGamer) of the game when it first released and then I somehow LOST THE DISC. I've never done that before. I have turned by room upside down looking for it. I'm sure after I break down and get this rerelease it'll turn up. :cry:

[quote name='Sideswiper']Well I'd like to think that the import sales of the game would obviously be anticensorship votes. Why else would I import the game?

I know it isn't much censorship, but I don't mind waiting a little longer and spending a little more for this.

Actually, I've already purchased the import version (through GoGamer) of the game when it first released and then I somehow LOST THE DISC. I've never done that before. I have turned by room upside down looking for it. I'm sure after I break down and get this rerelease it'll turn up. :cry:[/quote]

How would yours differ from a normal sale though? It's not that gogamer would tell CDProjek that a US customer bought an Import over an US copy...

I guess it could be tracked that far, but then I'd have to guess that no one is that ambitious enough to put 1 and 1 together.... to care.

I'm not against the idea of it, by all means, believe what you (anyone) believes, but I just don't think it's sending the message that one would want to convey, and it's more of self righteousness than anything.

Sucks losing things... I lost a Gekido manual and tore the hell out of my house... still can't find it, and I know I was READING it just the other day :|

You'll more than likely find your disc either the day of getting it or the next.... :booty:

If I was taking easier classes this semster, I'd jump all over this. This will have to wait until Christmas though.

I broke down and bought it from a BB and cancelled my Amazon order. Not worth having to wait till 10/3 to get my game for 3 bucks less.

I'll say this, the North American gamers got majorly screwed on the packaging. I'm not even talking about the lack of manual, they clearly couldn't fit it. And working in this industry, I know exactly what they mean about not being able to sell into retailers if the box is too large...that's just the nature of the beast here.

But I HATE getting a game in the fat PC case only to find all 5 discs are stacked on top of each other. Sure, they're relatively safe, but what if I want the bottom disc. I have to take everything else. Some f**king MORON decided selling spindles would solve a space problem. Its a joke. I wasn't willing to spend 15 bucks more and wait weeks just to import this game, never having played the original, and the extras and the packaging isn't ALL that important to me, so I really only need to be able to reach the front disc.

But seriously. Atari has, without a doubt, the sh*ttiest packaging efforts of any publisher. I'm STILL pissed about Neverwinter Nights 2 (the original launch). Cardboard tray? No fricking jewel case, even? Go F**K yourselves, Atari.

I'll be happy to post impressions here if anyone is interested (unfortunately, not having played the original, I can only be totally unbiased and clean).

Man. I probably will be importing the UK version now.

For a game I already own. Still though I want those extras.

No manual is a trend I'm not liking. Orange Box really caught me off guard when there was basically an insert and the CD.

And it gets worse. No blood, even in the retail version, as rumored around the nets. North American retail version, and using a Geforce 7800 GS OC, which should certainly be able to handle the blood effects.

Load times are fine, game is sluggish on my old rig, but that's to be expected with poor European programming. I wasn't, however, expecting additional censorship. If they don't address the issue I'll argue a return at Best Buy.

What a shame.

Oh if thats the case there are patches out right now that will probably fix that. I linked to them earlier. Try those. The guys in the community of mod makers are on that stuff like lightning.

No Blood is apparently a glitch. A pretty big glitch, wonder how the testers missed that, but I honestly didn't catch it, nor did I care. Is blood that big of a deal? Sure, you could argue censorship, but I argue that it's unnecessary.

The card censorship apparently is in tact.

I'm not going to download some college students sloppy mod, even if its exactly the same fix the devs will put out. Oh well, in the end, I had money to blow, and wanted to support the idea behind releasing a game with more swag and improvements for folks who missed out the first time, and pricing it less than the original launch.

Just disappointing that the execution seems so sloppy...wonder how much Atari is to blame. As for a fix, don't count on one for certain. The language I read on their forums from one response an inquiring fan got seemed to suggest they MIGHT fix it (if they feel like it).

Oh, and by the way, another something they suggested would be fixed but is apparently in the retail NA release: the dreaded TAGES copy protection scheme.

Man, I really would return the game if such a thing were possible in this day and age.

Just cancelled the order I placed on the 16th at Amazon.com thanks to comments by Arkay and others like him. Principle offense? A NEW glitch (no blood? :p) at the debut of the 'revised', 'enhanced' edition? Wasn't ironing out the bugs actually a marketing point for this rerelease? :p I mean REALLY. I pity the people rebuying.

I also don't want TAGES. Yeah, nothing like PAYING for a product that punishes that paying consumer with a copy protection scheme that interferes with said consumer's ability to happily play the product he just paid for. Brilliant.

I was really looking forward to a 'finished' product, as well as all the 'extras' included in this 'enhanced' edition. No paper manual? ALL THE CDS INCLUDING THE SOUNDTRACKS ON A SINGLE SPINDLE? Wow. Hell yeah I'm glad I cancelled. I bought NWN2 and have barely played it for all the bugs. I'll just put this $36 towards another console game. Pop it in, play it. I was really looking forward to the Witcher but I'm not going to suffer this feckless disrespect. Thanks for the warnings, people.

No blood? Seriously? Wow... I guess they didn't have time to iron out the bugs.... ...wait...

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say that I'm not entirely sure its actually installing TAGES, but there the client files are certainly in the system folder of the install directory.

If my computer was better I think I'd actually be enjoying the game, but based on what was missing from the game that shouldn't have been, I can't help but feel weaseled. Eh, it can go sit next to my other PC games collecting dust.

PC gamers need to wake the f**k up. I can't believe what kinds of poor framerates, terrible coding and optimization, lack of polish, and immense difficulty of setup people are willing to tolerate and even reward.

I think the blood will be fixed. Was it in the original?

I will hopefully get mine Friday. Install it and play it over the weekend.

I don't mind the Spindle box, since all you're ever using is the play CD... since when are you going to whip out any of the other ones alot.

Even the music ones... like you're not ripping the tracks? And is one going to ruin it by stashing that copy in the car? burn a backup.

Packaging is just Packaging. Missing a manual is fine since I'm used to reading on my computer.

Considering I haven't played the original, this new game at 37 is going to be quite a great game for considering improving on everything else.

I wouldn't mind if Tages had a flag saying all OK or not if it's going to fuck up your game.

so for the Cons...

No Blood (sure of a patch later)
Somewhat not nice packaging (There has been worse)
Tages (DRM is here to stay)
No paper manual (printing is $$ plus space)

I see nothing in that list that's game breaking besides Tages and that can't be helped...

One thing that irks me though is that packaging and CE/LE editions should be the same for EVERY country.... afterall most of the censorship is just in software only. Packaging shouldn't change.

i'm kind of out of the loop, but what does the TAGES system entail? i just got back into the pc gaming after finally getting a machine that can play recent games

The original US release HAD a manual. I think I need confirmation from this about no manual.
I know this because I own the original US release of the game.

[quote name='erectiontown']i'm kind of out of the loop, but what does the TAGES system entail? i just got back into the pc gaming after finally getting a machine that can play recent games[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAGES

I've gotten a couple games with TAGES and i've never had any problems with it as far as repeat instalations go, crashes, et al. And reading the Wikipedia entry I couldnt read anything that major wrong with it. Copy protection in games has been around since the 80's you know. It's not going away.

The most angry i've ever been at a game is Kings Quest 6. I lost the manual "A guide of the green isles" and couldnt get past the puzzles on one of the islands that were basically copy protection.

Some people at Gamefaqs apparently do have the blood so it is a bug for some peoples machines. Also the cencorship patch that's already out fixes the no blood. According to them.

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9006.0

[quote name='j.elles']snip[/quote]

Thanks j.elles for posting all that.

Blood info:

[quote name='GFaqs']The blood is there. Project Red said today that a fix will come out very very soon for those who lost the blood (a setting was messed up in the code). It has nothing to do with censorship. [/quote]

so it looks like there will be an updated patch to post patch the game...

Boggles my mind that if the game was ready since PAX then why didn't they fix it.

I don't know about the manual....

And TAGES is here to stay, been around forever, and people shouldn't have an issue with it.... it's better than EA (Spore/Sims 3).

Here is a link that still works to get everything uncensored, plus blood.

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9006.0

ok....

So what's left:

Cons...

MANUAL (No printed manual with package)

I hope my copy ships today, and I get it tomorrow.

Well I do have a manual that came with original US release so even if that's true I guess I can get this american release.

[quote name='Archgarth']This game is available on Steam for 39.99. It's a good price, and you never have to worry about the discs.[/quote]

I'm interested in this but I have a shitty internet connection this semester...which means I can't play the games I bought when the connection is down.

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm interested in this but I have a shitty internet connection this semester...which means I can't play the games I bought when the connection is down.[/quote]

I thought you can play Steam games offline....

I don't think TAGES is in the downloadable version so that would be a positive for ones that worry about it.. that and discs.

Stinks about the manual though, but again, it's just a manual.

[quote name='xycury']I thought you can play Steam games offline....

I don't think TAGES is in the downloadable version so that would be a positive for ones that worry about it.. that and discs.

Stinks about the manual though, but again, it's just a manual.[/quote]

whoa...you just taught me something new. :lol: I've never tried it before, but yep, you can. I haven't been without a connection since I started using the service and somehow got it in my head that you can't play them offline.

Oh well, in any case, I'm gonna go buy the retail version for all the extra stuff.

I've forced myself to play the game more recently. Issues aside, it is a well-done RPG. Far better than Obsidian's piece of s**t effort in NWN2. With everything maxed but except lighting, depth blur, and view distance, and running at 1920x1200 on a P4 2.53 with 2GB of mem and a 7800 GS OC, the game is quite playable, 25-30fps unless its a big fight.

Dialogue is well written, combat takes a little time to get used to but it will grow on most hesistant gamers, and the fact that the game doesn't tone down any of the grim realities of a supposed dark, depressing world is a breath of fresh air amidst other games that don't have the balls to truly be mature.

Man try Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack. I think the patches and the expansion have really made it a solid follow to the original.

They may not be Bioware but I think they did a good job. I guess you can also wait for this new expansion pack that should be coming out soon as well.

[quote name='j.elles']Man try Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack. I think the patches and the expansion have really made it a solid follow to the original.

They may not be Bioware but I think they did a good job. I guess you can also wait for this new expansion pack that should be coming out soon as well.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, I'm allowing my disdain for how poorly designed and coded the game is overshadow my opinion of the writing and execution of the game's story. I actually own the exapnsion, which I got at CC for 10 bucks during their 50% PC game sale, but it's still sealed. All of the engine improvements from the expansion are included in the latest patches anyway, which I've tried. BTW, patching the game from launch version to current takes about 1 hour now, unless you have everything downloaded in advance.

I've still to this day been unable to get over how poorly conceived the changes to the user interface are, how unnecessarily obtuse all of the menus are relative to the first NWN. Moreover, with all settings maxed and full AA, the original still looks and runs great. Even with everything set to very low, I can't get decent framerates and enjoyable performance out of NWN2, and yet the graphics of the game at very low look FAR worse than those of NWN maxed out. What does this have to do with anything? In my opinion, it demonstrates incompetent coding, a bunch of programmers who just built their Electron modifications onto an already adequate Aurora engine. I should be able to get the same performance out of NWN2 with minimal settings as I do with NWN maxed, based on how the games look, but I can't. There are no physics being processed in NWN2, the AI isn't that much more sophisticated.

Also, I can't stand the first few hours of the single player campaign. I got about 8-10 hours in after FORCING myself to, but after realizing that the dwarf, the demon, and the druid all annoyed the hell out of me, I realized I just wasn't enjoying the experience, that the writing was too juvenile to plod onward. I somewhat agree with those that complain about NWN1's main campaign, saying its too dull, generic, and uninteresting. But at the same time the solid programming and excellent performance I enjoy with the game translate into a pure gameplay experience. I can't get that with NWN2. Moreover, the game uses the same stilted, static, moronic dialogue system that's billed as "cinematic" but really just consists of awkward cuts back and forth from the navel up. Fantastic presentation. At least the Witcher delivers some well directed in-engine cutscenes, and personally I'm more interested in the characters and game world. It lets me overlook the performance issues it too suffers from.

Obsidian has yet to prove to me they're capable of making an RPG that doesn't suck nuts. Folks that like their writing, that thing they do a better job of giving true moral choices and dialogue options, great... Enjoy it. I disagree, I hate their writing and their story design, and I think they have some of the worst programmers in the industry doing their engine work and post-design-optimization.

I guarantee you Alpha Protocol will be a poorly-coded Mass Effect rip-off with terrible frame rate issues and fundamental design flaws... they just can't make a good game (at least not within a normal development window). Maybe if they had 5 years to work on it NWN2 would have been worth the time.

[quote name='silver001']Newegg.com also has this deal and it currently in stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832198060[/quote]

nice to see newegg match that.

I haven't seen this in store yet, but I've only been to Target and TRU.

Mine will be getting here Monday... and installing! yay!

Probably shipped from the West coast, usually Prime orders come out of Ill pretty fast. should look up tracking to see where it came from.

bread's done
Back