Wknd Box Office: "DaVinci Code" on track for about $90 mil, "Over Hedge" kinda flops

I AM WILLIAM H. MACY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Estimates for
Friday, May, 19, 2006
Title Daily Total
DA VINCI CODE 30.2 30.2
OVER THE HEDGE 11.1 11.1
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 3 - MI3 3.4 95.6
POSEIDON 3.0 30.6
SEE NO EVIL 1.7 1.7
RV 1.4 46.7
JUST MY LUCK 1.1 8.2
AMERICAN HAUNTING, AN .5 12.5
UNITED 93 .4 27.3
STICK IT .3 23.2

Of course, Over The Hedge will likely do a ton better on Saturday, and kids movies usually have a great deal of staying power, so it probably didn't outright flop, but still, a tad low. DaVinci made about as predicted, will do better on Saturday, but I suspect the poor reviews and poor word-of-mouth will make for a fair drop next weekend and not more than $350 mill total domestic (which admittedly is still pretty good).

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you'll prob have most of the theatre to yourself[/quote]
Just the way I like it.

I almost have an OCD about going into a theater and not being able to sit directly in front of the screen and a little more than halfway up in the theater. If I can't get those seats, I usually can't watch it without stressing out the entire time.

That's why I usually get to the theater 30 minutes early and am first in line to get into the theater.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Just the way I like it.

I almost have an OCD about going into a theater and not being able to sit directly in front of the screen and a little more than halfway up in the theater. If I can't get those seats, I usually can't watch it without stressing out the entire time.

That's why I usually get to the theater 30 minutes early and am first in line to get into the theater.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I like sitting in that area too. I can't understand why anyone would willingly want to sit in the first couple rows somewhere, it would be torture at any of the theaters I've been to.

I kinda want to see Over the Hedge but I dont want to sit in a theater filled with kids. fuck that...

[quote name='Xevious']I kinda want to see Over the Hedge but I dont want to sit in a theater filled with kids. fuck that...[/QUOTE]

The way they crank out DVD's lately, you'll only have to wait 4 months at the max to watch it in the comfort of your own home.

Saw both Over the Hedge and Da Vinci yesterday. Over the Hedge was a LOT better than Da Vinci. Funny, cute, amazing animation, and lots of jokes for older people that kids will NOT get.

I wouldn't mind seeing Over the Hedge, but like most animated films lately I'll just wait for the DVD. Actually am going to work on a bit of my summer movie backlog and see MI3 tonight.

There's no way DaVinci is going to do $350 mil domestic. That would be starting to get w/in range of Forrest Gump numbers and this movie definitely does not have that kind of mass appeal. I'm predicting a big dropoff next weekend, at least 60%. The fans of the book will see it opening week then after that it will be a trickle.

Anyone actually go to See No Evil? I kinda want to go see it with some friends, but not sure how it's going to be as a horror film.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Just the way I like it.

That's why I usually get to the theater 30 minutes early and am first in line to get into the theater.[/QUOTE]
EXACTALLY how i am when i go to the movies. I saw Poseidon in Imax today. I thought it was great. Sure it had its problems but it absolutly did not deserve to flop.

And yeah no way will Code do 350 domesticly. If it really makes 90 this weekend then i see 200-250. And probably anywhere from 500-700 worldwide.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']I'll show you, by the end of it's run The DaVinci Code will have closer to $350 mill than $200 mill (we're counting by amount of dollars closer).

Just watch.[/QUOTE]

Domestically?

Edit: Also how else would you count box office gross if not by dollars?

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Domestically?[/quote]

Yeah, he mentioned it in the OP.

Macy, how is $350 million domestic pretty good? I'd say that's really fucking good.

[quote name='Trakan']Yeah, he mentioned it in the OP.

Macy, how is $350 million domestic pretty good? I'd say that's really fucking good.[/QUOTE]

Like top dozen all-time Us box office good IIRC...

No way it does that much, Macy is off his rocker IMO. All those years making smaller movies and on ER has destroyed your perception of the movie going public my friend. Honestly though if you don't see at least a fight against X-Men 3 for the number one spot next week you'er mad and it will only trail off as the weeks roll by and more competition comes out. It has a very, very outside chance of making to $275 mil, maybe ( I don't think it really will make it), but to make it to $350 mil after the less than favorable reviews and upcoming competion would be next to imposisble IMO.

There is no way it will reach $350 million domestically. I'm sure that the majority of the people that really want to see it regardless of reviews will see it this weekend and from then on the reviews and especially word of mouth will determine how succesful it will be afterwards. But with films like X3, The Break Up, and Cars coming in the next few weeks, plus it seems that Over the Hedge is getting nice reviews and those parents that opted to see Code this weekend will take their kids to see that film, so there is going to be a lot of stiff competition for a movie like Code to hold up to reach $350 million domestically. Usually a movie has to have a few weeks of huge numbers to reach that big of a number. I would say maybe $200 mainly based upon this weekends take, but that may be a stretch.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I kinda wanna see See No Evil.[/QUOTE]
I was mildly intrested in seeing it...then I found out it was made by the WWF...and it stars Kane....the dude in a red mask who was suppose to be Undertaker's brother. :lol:

[quote name='zewone']I was mildly intrested in seeing it...then I found out it was made by the WWF...and it stars Kane....the dude in a red mask who was suppose to be Undertaker's brother. :lol:[/quote]
...and then you REALLY wanted to see it.;)

Domestic: $77,000,000 34.4%
+ Foreign: $147,000,000 65.6%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $224,000,000

Also, despite the mediocre reviews, I predict average-moviegoers will give it fair word-of-mouth, and that it won't really have too big a drop next weekend due to the tons and tons of old people who read the book and want to see the movie but won't rush out right away.

In other words, staying power.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Also, despite the mediocre reviews, I predict average-moviegoers will give it fair word-of-mouth, and that it won't really have too big a drop next weekend due to the tons and tons of old people who read the book and want to see the movie but won't rush out right away.

In other words, staying power.[/quote]
We'll see, there was a five percent drop from Friday to Saturday.

[quote name='Xevious']I kinda want to see Over the Hedge but I dont want to sit in a theater filled with kids. fuck that...[/QUOTE]

I saw it on Saturday night and there were "0" kids there... half full and all adults in 20s and 30s I'd say.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3']I saw it on Saturday night and there were "0" kids there... half full and all adults in 20s and 30s I'd say.[/QUOTE]

You're lucky. I made the mistake of seeing it on a Friday afternoon. I thought the little kids would still be in school and the parents at work, but oh no. The auditorium was so packed that someone actually sat in the seat that I had my leg on!

bread's done
Back