Woah why is SotN selling for so much on ebay?

Iroquois Pliskin

CAG Veteran
Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games ever. I'm thrilled to see it selling for much which probably means more people finally want to play it.

But seriously $100+ for a black label? And the GH fetching so much??? $420 for a sealed black label???!!!?

I picked up a second black label off ebay for around $20-25 2 years ago just to have a second one. And then when blockbuster started clearancing them for $5 I grabbed a few just for the sake of collecting my fav game.

Is there a new movie coming out? Another 2D sidescroller? Why the hell is there a sudden price jump on ebay?? Surely...there is something I'm missing here...

It's always been fairly expensive. $20-$25 even a couple of years ago on eBay would have been on the low end of what it was going for then.

I'm sure the DS games probably spurred on some interest in it as well. People go nuts for black label PS1 games that are considered rare nowadays.

SOTN is also coming out on XBLA, but I don't think that would affected the price at all at this point.

[quote name='Roufuss']That one for $420, not sure what happened there, but that other one is $60... still not really close to $100.

Most of the opened mint ones are $50 or less BIN's.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you noticed, but that $420 is a sealed non GH. So its just crazy collectors.

[quote name='pinoy530']Not sure if you noticed, but that $420 is a sealed non GH. So its just crazy collectors.[/QUOTE]

Chances are the guy dosent even pay.

Its been climbing ever since it was announced that it was going to appear on the Live Arcade business. Its sort of in the collective consciousness now.

Everyone thought I was crazy when I said that the PSP version of Valkyrie Profile would INCREASE the price of the original. And it has.

Holy shit!

I gotta find my black label. I bought it at a flea market a while back and don't know where the hell I put it. I better check the safe again. I still have my greatest hits copy anyway

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its been climbing ever since it was announced that it was going to appear on the Live Arcade business. Its sort of in the collective consciousness now.

Everyone thought I was crazy when I said that the PSP version of Valkyrie Profile would INCREASE the price of the original. And it has.[/quote]

yep, that's what i said about SotN, as well. watch some low-valued games jump in price when Nintendo's virtual console thing kicks off, too.

I picked up my copy years ago on sale for $16 (it's Greatest Hits though). In my opinion it's one of the best games of all time. It's one of the few games I'll never part with.

I can't wait for the Xbox arcade version.

What's funny to me is the fact that Konami has specifically stated they want to put SotN on XBLA sometime soon. What a colossal waste of money going and buying these things for such inflated prices.

[quote name='Iroquois Pliskin']Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games ever. I'm thrilled to see it selling for much which probably means more people finally want to play it.

But seriously $100+ for a black label? And the GH fetching so much??? $420 for a sealed black label???!!!?

I picked up a second black label off ebay for around $20-25 2 years ago just to have a second one. And then when blockbuster started clearancing them for $5 I grabbed a few just for the sake of collecting my fav game.

Is there a new movie coming out? Another 2D sidescroller? Why the hell is there a sudden price jump on ebay?? Surely...there is something I'm missing here...[/QUOTE]

Yep
Those are called OUTLIERS.
I can find examples for almost every game out there.

Its because Halloween is coming. Hell I don't know but it sounded good. What cracks me up is people paying a ton of money for a sealed Silent Hill when you can still get it new off of Konami's website for like $20.

[quote name='Plinko']What's funny to me is the fact that Konami has specifically stated they want to put SotN on XBLA sometime soon. What a colossal waste of money going and buying these things for such inflated prices.[/quote]

this would be correct if there were not more to consider than the value of the gameplay experience, but there is.

the PS game, in its physical form carries value as a collector's item. while the XBLA version will sell well, it won't be in a form that you can physically possess and display, short of a burned copy (if such a thing were even possible). the possibility of an XBLA Unplugged volume which includes Castlevania:SotN is highly unlikely, but about the only thing that may diminish the value of the Playstation original.

[quote name='Serialkilla']For $500, I would think you could lower shipping a bit.[/QUOTE]

if you read the description you would know that its
"SHIPPING & HANDLING FEES ARE $5.95 + AN ADDITIONAL $6.95 FOR A INSURANCE COVERAGE OF $500"

[quote name='RandyTsai']i wish mine would sell =/.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Castlevania-Symphony-of-the-Night-Playstation-SEALED_W0QQitemZ250015073923QQihZ015QQcategoryZ62053QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem[/quote]

is that code for, "i'm going to take this opportunity to hype my eBay auction"? 'cause if you really wished yours would sell, you'd lower the price. any eBay vet knows that in order to achieve a certain final bid, you generally set your price lower than that price, and watch people bid it up. starting at the price you'd like to receive, when it's such a high dollar amount usually results in an auction with no bids, even if the item had the potential to reach that amount (or more).

[quote name='allyourblood']is that code for, "i'm going to take this opportunity to hype my eBay auction"? 'cause if you really wished yours would sell, you'd lower the price. any eBay vet knows that in order to achieve a certain final bid, you generally set your price lower than that price, and watch people bid it up. starting at the price you'd like to receive, when it's such a high dollar amount usually results in an auction with no bids, even if the item had the potential to reach that amount (or more).[/QUOTE]

well i doubt pimping my auction on cag would do any good, since i doubt any of you would pay $50 for this game. "I wish mine would sell for $500" but if I really needed the money and wanted to get rid of it, I would just list it in a traditional auciton.

sealed ones usually run around $250 on ebay, no chance of the high bidder paying. notice too that it is a private auction. could be shill bidding or something going on. maybe hype it to be valuable, then relist it for $350 explaining high bidder did not pay but it went for X amount and provide a link. someone would be dumb enough to use it. a complete NON gh copy reaches $50 or so if it is in good shape. the $500 ebay store price is simply a joke. it is best offer though, but the seller obviously does not know the value of it (and this is not coming from some newb, I am one of the largest collectors on this site). it is a great classic game that will maintain its value no matter what happens to it (no, even the xbox live arcade thing will not effect it, may even raise it slightly).

hey raregamergirl. I see your auctions all the time. I didnt know you were a cag as well. anyways the only reason I listed it for $500 was the fact that 2 days before I listed mine one went for over $500 in a traditional auction. It was the only one listed that month. So they actually do go up that high. I don't except it to actually sell for $500 since its been listed for 3 months, but if i get a reasonable offer no doubt it will be sold.

I have seen one or two go crazy high, but its generally non paying bidders (well, its users that are new or with low feedback so I ASSUME it is NPB's). It is worth good money and I think if you threw it up there for $350 with some exposure that it might sell that high. I dont know about much higher though. I had one, sold it a while back for $250 on ebay. kind of wish I had not sold it :(
then again, ebay is ridiculously difficult to understand at times (as can be seen by the SOTN sealed copies that reach crazy numbers) so who knows what someone might pay on the right day.

also, one more note. this is one of those games that appeals to multiple markets. what i mean by that is that a sealed SOTN original release appeals to not only the hardcore collectors (most of them think the prices are a joke though), the castlevania collectors (lots of them out there) and then the best market- average joe gamer who wants one or two special pieces to have in his "collection". average joes wants his favorite game or similiar situation at any cost. the hardcore collectors will pay good money for items that are truly rare (this is not truly rare, there were many printed, I think you know what I mean by rare) but a lot of them hate paying high dollars for anything r6 or below.
hope this makes sense....

i personally held off on buying this with the belief that live arcade and bringing it to the psp would drop the price of the game. But the physical aspect of owning it to the new crowd of people playing it on live+psp does sound like a valid theory

[quote name='espy605']Is the Sega Saturn version going for much? Last I checked it wasn't highly valued.[/QUOTE]

I have the saturn version, it has several extra features, however one of those is slowdown :(

I've got a Black Label copy of SOTN.. open, and played repeatedly :D (It's fared very well over the years of use, only the case has a bit of a crack in it from packing)

Don't think I'd ever be willing to sell it off. Mainly because its -fun-.

bread's done
Back