Woman drinks so much water she dies (wii related)

Anyone hear the audio of the show?
apparently she couldnt even stand by the end of it and 'looked like hell'

It was oon O and A on thurs morning i think.....kinda weird hearing a woman dying like that and all the show does is laugh and play stupid sounds.
jerk offs

ps when she left if she felt so bad why not go to the hospital?
i heard all she had to do was get a conentrated salin solution introduced to her system interveniusly(sp) and she would have been ok.

[quote name='jtbradford']I can't believe people are bashing this lady. Sure, she was foolish to keep going like she did, but there were mixed messages about the danger present. That should have been up front, and it sure doesn't sound like it was.

If you're going to hold a contest, you should do some research into possible risks. Sure, the contestants should have as well, but for the contest-makers, it's just inexcusable and negligent.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the adult world, it wasnt just foolish it was deadly and ultimately that woman killed herself. Even if people at the radio station do get charged with manslaughter she was an active participant. Perhaps if you dont understand the risks you shouldnt participate in stunts.

What the radio station should have done is largely irrelvant, this woman was far to willing to put her life in the hands of a couple of radio disc jockeys. The Darwin Awards are made for people like this woman.

[quote name='foltzie']Welcome to the adult world, it wasnt just foolish it was deadly and ultimately that woman killed herself. Even if people at the radio station do get charged with manslaughter she was an active participant. Perhaps if you dont understand the risks you shouldnt participate in stunts.

What the radio station should have done is largely irrelvant, this woman was far to willing to put her life in the hands of a couple of radio disc jockeys. The Darwin Awards are made for people like this woman.[/QUOTE]I don't think most people know what water intoxication is, and water gives the general impression of being harmless, so I don't really feel this woman is a candidate for the Darwin Awards. (I also think that's a really harsh statement.) Even if you think she was stupid, the radio station shouldn't be holding contests where death is a very likely consequence. If they held a radio contest using Russian roulette, I don't care how stupid their contestants have to be to participate, holding the contest is just plain wrong.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I don't think most people know what water intoxication is, and water gives the general impression of being harmless, so I don't really feel this woman is a candidate for the Darwin Awards. (I also think that's a really harsh statement.) Even if you think she was stupid, the radio station shouldn't be holding contests where death is a very likely consequence. If they held a radio contest using Russian roulette, I don't care how stupid their contestants have to be to participate, holding the contest is just plain wrong.[/QUOTE]

I am not absolving the radio station of anything. If the manslaughter shoe fits the station GM can wear it to jail. I happen to think the entire lot at the station should have been fired, which looks to have occurred. The possible civil case against the station will probably going to be found in favor of the mother's estate, as it should due to their contributions to the situation.

However, the mother shouldn’t get a free pass for her own stupidity. She willingly turned her safety over to a statements of a couple of morning radio jocks. She then proceeded to poison herself on water, even asking for assistance in continuing at one point. Well known or not, we are all ultimately responsible for our own actions. Blaming someone else is just an excuse.

As for the Darwin Award suggestion, it was indeed harsh as is the very definition of those awards. Those awards serve as a morbidly funny and blunt reminder that stupid actions can have severe consequences.

I think our disagreement is that I don't think she was that stupid (which is why I think the Darwin Award comment was harsh), especially given her surroundings. Drinking a lot of water doesn't equate to jumping out a window to me (it's certainly not as funny).

Edited to add: And I agree that she isn't 100% free from responsibility for her own death. She did choose to drink to the point of water intoxication. People do make mistakes, and sometimes people die from their mistakes.

[quote name='chimpian']Anyone hear the audio of the show?
apparently she couldnt even stand by the end of it and 'looked like hell'

It was oon O and A on thurs morning i think.....kinda weird hearing a woman dying like that and all the show does is laugh and play stupid sounds.
jerk offs

ps when she left if she felt so bad why not go to the hospital?
i heard all she had to do was get a conentrated salin solution introduced to her system interveniusly(sp) and she would have been ok.[/QUOTE]

They played the audio from it on the Bubba the Love Sponge Show on Sirius. The radio twats SHOULD be held at least partly responsible for this. One actually made the comment "They've signed disclaimers, we're not responsible if anything happens." The fucking DJ's were sitting there laughing at it. One lady from the station chimes in "isn't this dangerous? You could get water poisoning from this." The stupid fucks then start making fun of her for the comment.

Another thing.. yeah, they got audio of the lady as she was getting sick from the water. I hope the corporate bull shit station DOES get the shit sued out of them; they should've done their research before they held the contest.

I agree that the radio station was irresponsible and I think that it was partly their fault, but I doubt anything can be done. The contestants signed waivers, which undoubtfully mentioned a possiblity of death. Like someone here said, it's not like the contestants were forced to do this. They could stop whenever they felt like it.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I agree that the radio station was irresponsible and I think that it was partly their fault, but I doubt anything can be done. The contestants signed waivers, which undoubtfully mentioned a possiblity of death. [/QUOTE]

I thought someone said the waivers were mainly publicity related, but even if they did mention death, if the company was negligent the waiver won't protect them. Basically you aren't allowed to contribute to someones death just because you got them to sign a paper.

[quote name='starman9000']I thought someone said the waivers were mainly publicity related, but even if they did mention death, if the company was negligent the waiver won't protect them. Basically you aren't allowed to contribute to someones death just because you got them to sign a paper.[/quote] Yep. Right now, after listening to the tape, they can be prosocuted with negligent homicide/involuntary manslaughter. The problem mainly is, who do you actually bring up on the charges.

The problem was some of the people got really sick and the radio people didnt stop them or get any help.

How is this any different from Fear Factor or military training (family gets money if death occurs). I am sure if someone died on FF or boot camp, no case will be brought. I mean, a man didnt "think" snakes can kill but, but $hit happens.

[quote name='xeverex18']How is this any different from Fear Factor or military training (family gets money if death occurs). I am sure if someone died on FF or boot camp, no case will be brought. I mean, a man didnt "think" snakes can kill but, but $hit happens.[/QUOTE]

Do you honestly think they use venomous snakes on Fear Factor?

[quote name='gizmogc']Any pictures of the girl? Before death.[/QUOTE]

0115wii.jpg

[quote name='xeverex18']How is this any different from Fear Factor or military training (family gets money if death occurs). I am sure if someone died on FF or boot camp, no case will be brought. I mean, a man didnt "think" snakes can kill but, but $hit happens.[/QUOTE]

Fear Factor actually spends a lot of money to make their activities as safe as possible. They don't just get people to sign a waiver and call it good. If something horrific happened on FF, chances are it would truly be considered a freak accident and not negligence on their part. To simplify, when people are doing stunts on top of buildings on FF, they have harnesses to protect them, the radio station used no harness to protect it's contestants.

and they actually consult with professionals who ensure that they take precautions that accidents don't happen. as much as the stuff you see on ff seems dangerous, most (if not all) are relatively safe. drinking large amounts of water is not.

anyone who doesn't think the radio station and those dj's aren't liable is ignorant. listening to the clips from the show is disgusting.

[quote name='starman9000']Fear Factor actually spends a lot of money to make their activities as safe as possible. They don't just get people to sign a waiver and call it good. If something horrific happened on FF, chances are it would truly be considered a freak accident and not negligence on their part. To simplify, when people are doing stunts on top of buildings on FF, they have harnesses to protect them, the radio station used no harness to protect it's contestants.[/quote]

That's why I watch Mexican Fear Factor.

On MFF, they just light a building on fire, put a big pile of cash at the other end, and send in contestents with nothing but a tshirt and jeans.

[quote name='whitedeath']whats that smell?????? oh yes it a lawsuit coming on.

that sucks for her . never knew you could die from too much water. i heard of drowning but intoxication that seems strange[/QUOTE]

Everyone should know you can die from being way over hydrated it is common sense. But the lawsuit yet I think the family will win that battle for a stupid contest like that and should have known the risk. Radio station = stupid

On headline news, I heard that they are thinking of suing the radio station AND possibly Nintendo.

I'm all for getting the radio station in trouble for this because it was a stupid contest and attracted stupid people. They can sue them up the yin yang. But if they go after Nintendo, that just shows they are money hungry idiots trying to go after whoever has the cash. No way nintendo is responsible for this.

If you're listening Nintendo, don't pay them a dime (maybe a wii for her children out of sympathy though, but make them sign a liability release).

Here's a link to the Gamespot article:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164487.html
In another twist to the tragic tale, attorney Roger Dreyer will be representing the family of Jennifer Strange, a mother of three who died after taking part in a KDND 107.9 competition titled "Hold Your Wee for a Wii," reports The Sacramento Bee. Dreyer told reporters that the disc jockeys and radio employees that were responsible for the competition would be named in the suit and that Nintendo may also be named if it is found that the company had any role in the promotion.
So it sounds like it's very unlikely Nintendo will be named in the suit. But still, how stereotypically money-grubbing it is to even consider the idea.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Here's a link to the Gamespot article:
So it sounds like it's very unlikely Nintendo will be named in the suit. But still, how stereotypically money-grubbing it is to even consider the idea.[/QUOTE]

Of course Iwata was involved. He's a fetishist at heart, and he wanted the winner to release their built up urine all over his face when he delivered the wii in person.
It's ain airtight accusation.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Here's a link to the Gamespot article:
So it sounds like it's very unlikely Nintendo will be named in the suit. But still, how stereotypically money-grubbing it is to even consider the idea.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee it was the lawyer's idea and not the family.

bread's done
Back