Won an Xbox 360, but it gets interesting...

sdragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
391 (100%)
I won one today for about $50. The seller now states it's RROD, and to not pay for it, and there won't be any strikes against my account, etc.

Only thing is, I'm wondering if he just said that because it went so low, and he'd rather not sell it at all. What do you guys think? What would you do?
I definitely don't need ANOTHER broken Xbox 360. I have one of my own already.

Ya I would assume he is lying. Ask him for a picture with the system on and a thumbs up or something. Or just send him a bad feedback.

[quote name='2supekards']Ya I would assume he is lying. Ask him for a picture with the system on and a thumbs up or something. Or just send him a bad feedback.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea. Did it, and although he originally said it had the 3 red rings of death, now he says it has 1 red ring of death (I saw the picture). So, what now?

[quote name='sdragon']Thanks for the idea. Did it, and although he originally said it had the 3 red rings of death, now he says it has 1 red ring of death (I saw the picture). So, what now?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Microsoft still replace the RROD/fix it under warranty? I'd pay him for it and expect him to ship it. Worst case scenario, I try to get MS to fix it. ;-)

that has happened to me a few times. I just unplug the xbox and plug it back in and it usually fixes it. I know that I'm not helping much here. I just checked the microsoft support site and it says that if there is only one red light, that it usually means that there is a harddrive problem. To try and take the hd off and turn it on again, or if you dont have a hd to take the memory card off and try it again. Maybe what that guy has is a bad harddrive or memory unit.

[quote name='sdragon']Thanks for the idea. Did it, and although he originally said it had the 3 red rings of death, now he says it has 1 red ring of death (I saw the picture). So, what now?[/QUOTE]

LOL, wait. I thought it was one light if the video wasn't plugged in.

EDIT: n/m not having any issues with my Xbox in years and years has spoiled me so I am not up on error codes. :p

Question is should I take the gamble on this? I'd hate to get a broken 360, and have to ship it back to him.

I think it's funny he didn't notice it was broken until the listing ended. Mistakes happen, but he's wanting me to pay $40 now for it, plus shipping. I won it for $35 plus shipping.

He said it was 3 red rings at first, now it's 1 (I saw the picture). He says he does not have the time to test the machine out. He has 370 positives. I don't know if he has a hard drive or not. The whole listing was very vague, which probably explains the low bid amounts. What to do, what to do...

Oh yeah, and it's a 2006 model, so doubt MS would replace it free of charge.

If it's RRoD, and he doesn't have time to test it... how would he know it's the RRoD? I like how he has time to respond to you and to also take pictures, but doesn't have the time to test the system.

The 1-red light is an HDD failure, from past experience. Usually you can actually remedy it by removing the HDD and putting it back on, since it barely will ever get fully corrupted (but it's possible, my first console did that out of the box).

It's up to you, but you don't pay him anymore then what you won the auction for. If you wanted to post a link to the auction so we could see it and possibly help you out more, that would be nice as well.

Here's what his latest e-mail says:

"I ended the auction early as soon as I realized that it didn't work properly. I removed the hard drive and plugged it in again and it seemed to solve the problem. I tried to hook it up to the TV but the TV didn't recognize it.
I understand that you are upset and that is why I ended the listing early and contacted you. If I didn't care at all I would have just shipped it as is. There are other units that are slightly more but will give you a much better experience. If you want, I will see about getting it fixed and then let you know what happened. I wasn't trying to say that I wouldn't check it out, I have to be up at 5am and had to get to bed last night.

You can simply choose to walk away from this whole thing and I will leave you positive feedback and mark the item paid so you don't have any issues with eBay. It's up to you."

If he ended the auction early, wouldn't it have automatically canceled my bid? I'm waiting on his reply to my last e-mail, where I asked him to clarify what he meant about TV not recognizing the 360...

[quote name='cmb00']just let it go. if you want a used old system get one that works from gamestop for 99.00.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It sounds like a bit of a coincidence to me man.

[quote name='sdragon']Here's what his latest e-mail says:

"I ended the auction early as soon as I realized that it didn't work properly. I removed the hard drive and plugged it in again and it seemed to solve the problem. I tried to hook it up to the TV but the TV didn't recognize it.
I understand that you are upset and that is why I ended the listing early and contacted you. If I didn't care at all I would have just shipped it as is. There are other units that are slightly more but will give you a much better experience. If you want, I will see about getting it fixed and then let you know what happened. I wasn't trying to say that I wouldn't check it out, I have to be up at 5am and had to get to bed last night.

You can simply choose to walk away from this whole thing and I will leave you positive feedback and mark the item paid so you don't have any issues with eBay. It's up to you."

If he ended the auction early, wouldn't it have automatically canceled my bid? I'm waiting on his reply to my last e-mail, where I asked him to clarify what he meant about TV not recognizing the 360...[/QUOTE]

He has the ability to cancel all bids and make the auction no longer for sale OR update the item. He's lying. Pay him the money EBAY says to.

He's trying to get out of selling the item. He's even offering to take a $5 hit from eBay to NOT sell it to you, which tells me he's either (a) an idiot or (b) trying to get out of selling it to you for nothing.

BTW, a link to the auction would quickly tell us if he did indeed end it early.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']He has the ability to cancel all bids and make the auction no longer for sale OR update the item. He's lying. Pay him the money EBAY says to.

He's trying to get out of selling the item. He's even offering to take a $5 hit from eBay to NOT sell it to you, which tells me he's either (a) an idiot or (b) trying to get out of selling it to you for nothing.

BTW, a link to the auction would quickly tell us if he did indeed end it early.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he has 12 hours before auction ends to cancel the auction and all bids. He tried to end the auction early because it was getting close to the end and the price wasn't going up. He must not have known about the time limit preventing you from ending an auction at the end to prevent low sales price and is now trying to lie and get more money from it in a different way. Ebay has changed and evolved to prevent people from doing this kind of crap. I would send payment through PayPal and if it doesn't work just reseal and write "return to sender" on the box and request a refund from PayPal.

Of course, if you're worried about any aspects and don't want to take the risk or waste time just let it go and look for other auctions. There are so many sellers as we get closer to Christmas that the price on the 360 is very likely to see a continuing decline in price in online auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230546142936&si=F0VqhipqezoWaSqrpgWC72leBQA%253D&viewitem=

UPDATE:

New e-mail states:

Sorry to say that I did end the auction early. eBay wouldn't let me cancel the bids because there was less than 12 hours left on the auction,
so I ended it with a sell to the highest bidder action. Then I contacted you. If you don't believe that, you can contact eBay and they will
confirm it.
Anyway...when I hooked it up to the TV there was no response from the TV....in other words it didn't recogize there was an Xbox connected.
I have a new 360s and it recognizes that just fine. I don't know why and all I do know is that there were no red rings after I removed the hard drive and plugged it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to cut the guy some slack either way, but I'd say at 370 feedback, he should or he does know what he's doing by now. I think I'll end up paying for it. $50 Xbox 360 with Hard Drive isn't too shabby of a deal. I just don't want two broken 360's sitting in my living room.

[quote name='sdragon']Could use some more opinions before I pay for this. Does buyer protection cover me if the Xbox 360 doesn't work?[/QUOTE]

If you can't get it work then it you can get your money back since he listed it as having no problems in the auction. However, since this guy has a lot of positives and a good feedback rating like you said, I'm inclined to think he's being entirely truthful. His story adds up, sounds to me like he's just trying to save you both some time and trouble.

[quote name='Master Troll']Go ahead and pay for the item. Since it's covered under Buyer Protection then it's a win-win for you either way.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured, but it's ebay, so you never know... I just don't want to end up getting screwed with a $50 broken 360. I guess worse case scenario, I sell the hard drive to someone and sell the broken 360 to someone cheap, and cut my losses.

[quote name='andrewhann52']He may be making the 1 red light it will come up if the hard drive isnt in all the way. He could be doing it to fool you.[/QUOTE]

See, and I thought that too...

Does anyone know how I can tell if he ended the auction early???

[quote name='2supekards']Make sure you leave him a bad feedback for lying about ending the auction early.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Start Nov-02-10 17:22:01 PDT
End Nov-07-10 13:50:27 PST

I wouldn't leave a negative feedback. He ended early due to the whole not being able to cancel prior to the auctions end price. Do the right thing and give a positive - great communication, or a neutral at the very worst.... although personally as a seller if I got a neutral for this id be pissed.

Yeah, I think people are too quick to leave negatives. Yeah, I'm sure he could have/should have checked the 360 out way before even listing it, but mistakes happen.

[quote name='sdragon']Yeah, I think people are too quick to leave negatives. Yeah, I'm sure he could have/should have checked the 360 out way before even listing it, but mistakes happen.[/QUOTE]

Ever since they took away the power for sellers to leave negatives... my opinion of the whole feedback system has made me believe ebay sucks now.

Granted I sell there and have over 500 feedback. However, it is not by choice... as their is few other options to selling certain items I sell that would simply sell for pennys if at amazon.

Selling an item on ebay for me now is like russian roulette after this new feedback system. I always announce immediate shipping in my auctions and its something I pride myself on following through with.

However, one instance comes to mind where I shipped immediately (you could see shipping label was same day and receipt was less than an hour after he paid). Item arrives at his house 2 days after the purchase. Leave me negative claiming poor communication, didn't inform me of tracking number.

Was almost as bad as the guy who bought a game from me for 20 bucks over retail... Another negative where the item arrived fast, he left positive comments saying excellent ebayer, shipped and received in 2 days, item was in better condition than expected... but paid too much for. :/ sorry I cant control price on an item that has free shipping....

Seriously, some people should not be allowed to have ebay accounts as they clearly take advantage of sellers due to this new (i realize its years, but will continue referring to as new) system.

Sigh.... but gj op for not shooting a negative. I commend that.

[quote name='Steggy']
Wrong.

He ended early due to the whole not being able to cancel prior to the auctions end price. .[/QUOTE]

This sentence does not make sense in English. However, that aside I am not assure what you are talking about at all. If a seller closes an auction early then the buyer is not asked to pay for the item. Clearly he didn't end the auction early because they buyer was asked to pay for the item. So when he said he ended the auction early he was clearly lying. But I think what you said is worse. Of course you can't cancel an auction after it has ended. If it ends at a cheap price then they seller is still obligated to ship it. Unless I am wrong the seller should get a bad feedback for

lying and trying to back out of an auction that he believed was to cheap. If his item really was broken he should get a bad one for

lying and not properly testing his item.

Oh and and yes either way he lied
He wrote
"If I didn't care at all I would have just shipped it as is."
This is an obvious lie, because paypal would favor the buyer in this case if the xbox came broken. So if he had shipped it as is, you could have contacted paypal, gotten a refund and kept the broken machine. Also he changed his mind about why the system doesn't work. It sounds like it has 3 rings, then 1 ring and then it doesn't register at all. If it had so many problems how could he have stated in the auction that it was "adult owned and never abused"? Total BS.

[quote name='2supekards']This sentence does not make sense in English. However, that aside I am not assure what you are talking about at all. If a seller closes an auction early then the buyer is not asked to pay for the item. Clearly he didn't end the auction early because they buyer was asked to pay for the item. So when he said he ended the auction early he was clearly lying. But I think what you said is worse. Of course you can't cancel an auction after it has ended. If it ends at a cheap price then they seller is still obligated to ship it. Unless I am wrong the seller should get a bad feedback for

lying and trying to back out of an auction that he believed was to cheap. If his item really was broken he should get a bad one for

lying and not properly testing his item.[/QUOTE]
'
The seller doesn't have to ship anything. He can just say the item was damaged, refund the item, take a feedback hit and move on.

kind of odd that he tested the wii he was selling but not the xbox360(read the description in his completed listings).

maybe this guy is just a fucking moron.

[quote name='2supekards']This sentence does not make sense in English. However, that aside I am not assure what you are talking about at all. If a seller closes an auction early then the buyer is not asked to pay for the item. Clearly he didn't end the auction early because they buyer was asked to pay for the item. So when he said he ended the auction early he was clearly lying. But I think what you said is worse. Of course you can't cancel an auction after it has ended. If it ends at a cheap price then they seller is still obligated to ship it. Unless I am wrong the seller should get a bad feedback for

lying and not properly testing his item.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand your argument. Do you sell on Ebay? It does give you the option to end auction early and cancel all bids, or sell to the current highest bidder. Not saying he is in the right for not having tested his items prior listing, but he did catch his error so he shouldn't be left negative feedback.

Also, I posted the listing time and end time... the end time does not match the start time. So clearly the auction ended early.

if the box worked last time he checked it, it should work now.

you would remember if your 360 red ringed.

the box isnt gonna red ring from not being on, seeing as how the red ring(the one that counts) happens from heat(and i doubt the 360 was sitting in temps above what the innards of the 360 can produce).

bread's done
Back