WooHoo! NES Toploader at GoodWill

aw004g

CAGiversary!
Finally got one with RF adapter, power supply, and one dog bone paddle for $24.99. An OK deal, but I'm excited to finally be able to play some old NES games without battling my old system.

Pretty damn sweet. My only problem with the top loader was that it was RF-only. They released it during the SNES' late life, so it makes no sense for it not to include the ability to use composite cables.

[quote name='Tsukento']Pretty damn sweet. My only problem with the top loader was that it was RF-only. They released it during the SNES' late life, so it makes no sense for it not to include the ability to use composite cables.[/QUOTE]

Doubly so when you consider the original NES could use a mono composite cable... seems like the wrong thing to have cut to me.

I hated going back to the RF when I got my top loader, but was worth it for space saving and bragging rights, since mine was $5 (no controllers or hookups, but I had a spare RF already and got a power supply for another $5.) Reliability wasn't a concern, my original NES worked like a champ- my brother uses it now.

Actually, I recently had nastalgia and I bought the original NES to play games on. It's reliability was great at first (new 72 pin) but now it's inconsistent. I wish I'd had bought the top loader because rf signal (for whatever reason) doesn't lag on my hdtv, while composite lags like crazy making games unplayable anyway.

I've been hoping to find one of those for some time now. The RF doesn't bother me, I just want it for the increased reliability.

Last year I had three non-working NES's - I unloaded 'em all and now somehow I have four. Kinda funny that now Nintendo has a reputation for making the most reliable systems.

The old toaster is infinitely better. It takes a bit of work, but it's infinitely better. Just get a new 72-pin connector, and you're super good.

The toploader is super balls. The Game Genie is wonky with it. If you have it, you'd better be willing to perform the RF output fix. The toploader is notorious for having video output quirks. Mostly dark vertical bars. It's annoying. Want composite? Be prepared to do a mod even more extensive than the RF fix.

Yeah, the toploader can generally play games without needing to blow into the console and the carts, but you might as well get an old toaster and a new replacement 72-pin connector to reap the benefits of the old toaster and spend a lot less money.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Doubly so when you consider the original NES could use a mono composite cable... seems like the wrong thing to have cut to me.

I hated going back to the RF when I got my top loader, but was worth it for space saving and bragging rights, since mine was $5 (no controllers or hookups, but I had a spare RF already and got a power supply for another $5.) Reliability wasn't a concern, my original NES worked like a champ- my brother uses it now.[/QUOTE]

Triply since the Japanese Top Loader has AV outputs.

24.99 was a good price overall, but a horrible price for Goodwill, and pretty much exemplifies everything that's wrong with that company right now.

[quote name='spmahn']Triply since the Japanese Top Loader has AV outputs.

24.99 was a good price overall, but a horrible price for Goodwill, and pretty much exemplifies everything that's wrong with that company right now.[/QUOTE]

I hate goodwill. I try to take all my donations to salvation army.

Why not just buy a YOBO. Had mine for 3 yrs never had a problem.

[quote name='TiKi2']I hate goodwill. I try to take all my donations to salvation army.

Why not just buy a YOBO. Had mine for 3 yrs never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

I have a Yobo FC Twin. It has a couple of faults. NES games are Hell to get out of it. And the controllers that come with it while functional enough lack the weight and cord length of the originals [but atleast you can replace them with originals since the connector slot is the same]. But I agree it is a worthwhile investment if you want something really reliable. I would still love to have a trustworthy original NES and SNES just for nostalgia sake.

GW prices are all over the map
I picked up a toploader with mario 1 and 3 for 14.99 about a year back and now i see og nintendos there at between 40-60 which is just ridiculous.
My gw out priced me i guess they saw stuff was selling and thought, that means they needed to ask more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dirt']I have a Yobo FC Twin. It has a couple of faults. NES games are Hell to get out of it. And the controllers that come with it while functional enough lack the weight and cord length of the originals [but atleast you can replace them with originals since the connector slot is the same]. But I agree it is a worthwhile investment if you want something really reliable. I would still love to have a trustworthy original NES and SNES just for nostalgia sake.[/QUOTE]

Dude you are dead on . That thing grabs your cart and doesn't want to let go.

[quote name='orcafan8']GW prices are all over the map
I picked up a toploader with mario 1 and 3 for 14.99 about a year back and now i see og nintendos there at between 40-60 which is just ridiculous.
My gw out priced me i guess they saw he stuff was selling and thought, that means they needed to ask more.[/QUOTE]

I went by goodwill recently and they had a n64 no cords no controllers no expansion/jump pak or lid for $10 wtf. Who the hell is going to buy that for $10 , cheaper to get it on ebay.

bread's done
Back