Working at Verizon Wireless: Good?

GrilledWitOnions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've been all but offered a job at a Verizon store and am heavily considering it, but am unsure for a few reasons. Was hoping for some pointers from those that have worked these jobs before:

-I am currently a PT Shift Leader at Blockbuster. I make 50 cents above minimum wage. I am currently getting around 35 hrs a week, but that will be changing back to what it was previously (about 25-30) at the end of the month.

-The manager at a Verizon store asked me if I was interested in a job there. He's a really cool seeming guy; I know him because before this he was the manager at the GS I worked at for a short stint. He came in right after I left, but I can tell he's laid back and would be a great guy to work with.

-It might be FT, which I really need right now. It would be min wage, but at FT it would be more than I'm making (or will be making again soon) at blockbuster PT. (If it's not FT, well, no question, I can't do it).

-I really hate my current job. I've been with this freaking company too long, get no love from them, and it seems way more stressful than it ought to be. Working at GS, it was stressful, but just not nearly like this, so I think I know the difference. It could be that I don't like my work at all so the stress is getting to me more.

-BIG con-Verizon store would be about 20 minutes away (my small hick town, I drive for about 3 minutes and I'm at work. This store is in a different city).

It seems like a lateral move, but because the job market here sucks (mostly labor/retail/fast food), and because I'm just not that motivated (looking for a job in my off time is annoying when I already have one that, well, almost pays the bills), I seem to not be able to find anything better. I figured someone with 5 yrs experience in retail (please don't make fun :( ) and managerial experience would get me into a bank or something.

So I guess the question is this: is Verizon a good place to work? I just need something less stressful, and the manager made it sound that; he said, in fact, that sometimes they just watch movies. I work in a video store and we never watch movies at work. Oh, and, at a place like this: am I likely to be fired for not making sales? I can make sales, it would just really suck to have my job on the line during a slow week :p

Any opinions? I've pretty much made a decision towards it, since I don't want my current job, but I was hoping to move up to something a few dollars more, not 50 cents less, but that's just not been happening, so this might be a good in-between.

Not sure if this just lost in the cracks or if no one really cared (thought I'd at least get some flames ;)), but, I took the job last Wednesday. Put my two weeks in at blockbuster, will be outta there March 5th. Pretty excited to leave, I really, really hate it there and I think this will at the very least be a good change.

[quote name='Pookymeister']if you hate working somewhere, then its a no-brainer.[/quote]
It really was, I just wondered if others had any experience with Verizon, didn't want to go from a crappy job to something even worse. In the end I realized it can't be much worse and if it was, well, I can just find something else. Took me a day to think about it and decide, which for me, I think is pretty quick.

Verizon offers amazing pay and benefits. My brothers been working for them for a little over a year now. He's now up to $24/hour, full benefits, and 10% bonus of whatever his annual pay is every march. He's also been offered $5,000 to relocate to another location.

So... yes.

There have been so many threads about jobs lately! This is crazy :lol:
Why is everyone having job problems?!

Congrats on taking the job. If it's only 50 cents less then what you're making, then it's not a big deal. As long as you make more hours you'll still be getting a better paycheck.

8 min to work/school. Sadly they're opposite directions from each other so it's double on those crappy days :cry:.

Nobody gives a shit which crappy job you pick, and neither will you because you're dead inside already. Pick the one with the shortest drive.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Nobody gives a shit which crappy job you pick, and neither will you because you're dead inside already. Pick the one with the shortest drive.[/quote]
Uh... alright. Interesting advice, I guess.
[quote name='lilboo'] There have been so many threads about jobs lately! This is crazy :lol:
Why is everyone having job problems?![/quote]It gets discouraging doesn't it? I saw your post in the other job-advice thread today; hope things turn around!

Congrats on taking the job. If it's only 50 cents less then what you're making, then it's not a big deal. As long as you make more hours you'll still be getting a better paycheck.
Exactly. And hopefully easier work. At least the hours are not as late (I'm a night person but I'd much rather not be at work, well, at any time, but I like to have my night). And the store will be smaller, so less walking around, cause I'm a lazy sob.

[quote name='liquid2'] 20 minutes isn't that far at all.
I have a 45 minute commute. 20 minutes would be lovely.[/quote]I always feel pretty bad when I complain about little commutes I have, cause I know others have it worse. I have a friend in Roseville that doesn't drive, and going to work is a like a two hour bus ride or something. Not sure how people get on in bigger cities; driving in them is kind of frightening to me and when I get back to my small town I end up speeding excessively for about two weeks, simply because that's the speed of life there. Of course I feel like this place is too damn slow, so hopefully when I move to a bigger city I can adjust.

[quote name='magehart']Verizon offers amazing pay and benefits. My brothers been working for them for a little over a year now. He's now up to $24/hour, full benefits, and 10% bonus of whatever his annual pay is every march. He's also been offered $5,000 to relocate to another location.

So... yes.[/quote]Thanks for the info, this does sound good. $24/hr selling phones? That's... wow. To me, that's a lot.

bread's done
Back