Working USB Ethernet adapter for the Wii

[quote name='Metal Boss']AWESOME find! Thank you[/QUOTE]

sorry for the noob questions, but how do this all work.

I currently have cable internet which comes in via a coax cable and is split to go to my cable box and my cable modem. Then there's a ethernet cable from the cable modem to the cpu. If I bought this, does it basically mean it plugs into the Wii USB port and then u have to run a ethernet cable to it? I have no ethernet ports in my apt, just the coax. So, would this mean I would have to disconnect the cable from my cpu and run it to my Wii when I want the Wii to access the internet? Or, is there some sort of ethernet cable splitter out there that I can buy? Thanks

[quote name='jamezuva']sorry for the noob questions, but how do this all work.

I currently have cable internet which comes in via a coax cable and is split to go to my cable box and my cable modem. Then there's a ethernet cable from the cable modem to the cpu. If I bought this, does it basically mean it plugs into the Wii USB port and then u have to run a ethernet cable to it? I have no ethernet ports in my apt, just the coax. So, would this mean I would have to disconnect the cable from my cpu and run it to my Wii when I want the Wii to access the internet? Or, is there some sort of ethernet cable splitter out there that I can buy? Thanks[/quote]

All you need is a router. From the modem go to the router. Then you can connect your PC and Wii to the router.

Or if you want to go wireless with the Wii, go with a wireless router.

Anyone know if there is a type of extension cord for this to stretch it a longer distance? My Wifi USB thing refuses to work.

Anyone know what the probability is of Nintendo updating the Wii to make this USB adapter not work with it anymore? So we have to get their USB adapter? I don't want to get it and have it stop working after my next update.

Two questions:

1. What's the timeline on Nintendo's official ethernet adapter? The Obscure Facts FAQ says Jan 2007, but it sounds like it'll be a while longer before we see them.

2. Will using a wired connection present any appreciable advantages over sticking with WiFi? I'm willing to plug mine in if it'll make a difference.

[quote name='dothog']Two questions:

1. What's the timeline on Nintendo's official ethernet adapter? The Obscure Facts FAQ says Jan 2007, but it sounds like it'll be a while longer before we see them.

2. Will using a wired connection present any appreciable advantages over sticking with WiFi? I'm willing to plug mine in if it'll make a difference.[/QUOTE]

1. A fellow CAG - sixersballernum63 - ordered a LAN adapter and got it yesterday. So it should be shipping right now. You still need to order it from Nintendo's own online store, but it looks like they are being sent.

2. Not really, but it's difficult to tell. If you have a stable wireless connection - you're close to a router, there's no interference from things like cordless phones, etc - then wireless is fine. Other things to consider include security - if you don't want to mess with the possibility that you could get hacked, and/or you don't have the patience to deal with setting up security, etc.

You really can't tell if it will make a difference or not versus wireless. The best option is to try both if you are willing and make your own decision. The only thing to say for certain is that you can do wireless out of the box, which saves you a bit of cash.

I got the offical one from the Nintendo store today. It's smaller then I thought it would be based on the pictures I've seen.
I like spinning the globe in the weather channel and my brother loves the web browser. He's been using it for a long time now.

bread's done
Back