World Of Warcraft Celestial Steed Mount

AlphaPanda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000942

product

I hope no-one is willing to spend 25 dollars on a virtual mount.

Opinions?

It was really only a matter of time before ATVI moved to microtransactions. It's the future, the source of easy revenue that takes nothing away from the game. Want to quest for that item/lvl or would you rather drop $5? The definition of hardcore will be expanded beyond the endgame to include gamers who actually quest/PUG/raid/etc. for in-game items. Casual will extend to those who opt for microtransactions to get to 80 or to get heirlooms or whatever. I'm sure there will be a majority of gamers with a foot in each camp.

I don't believe for a second that Blizz isn't exploring microtransactions on a larger scale and that these first pet/mounts aren't an exploratory investigation. IMO, 140K gamers looking to pay $25 for a friggin' mount is an overwhelming affirmation of the fact that if they expand microtransactions in the game, it will succeed.

It'll be interesting to observe. Some friends with the WoW habit have been telling me for a loooong time that Blizz would never go to microtransactions -- full stop -- because it would "kill the game." The trading cards were as far as Blizz would ever go, they claimed. Welp, they just sold a mount for cold USD. What next? It'll be fun to listen to the pissing and moaning over this.

[quote name='dothog']It was really only a matter of time before ATVI moved to microtransactions. It's the future, the source of easy revenue that takes nothing away from the game. Want to quest for that item/lvl or would you rather drop $5? The definition of hardcore will be expanded beyond the endgame to include gamers who actually quest/PUG/raid/etc. for in-game items. Casual will extend to those who opt for microtransactions to get to 80 or to get heirlooms or whatever. I'm sure there will be a majority of gamers with a foot in each camp.

I don't believe for a second that Blizz isn't exploring microtransactions on a larger scale and that these first pet/mounts aren't an exploratory investigation. IMO, 140K gamers looking to pay $25 for a friggin' mount is an overwhelming affirmation of the fact that if they expand microtransactions in the game, it will succeed.

It'll be interesting to observe. Some friends with the WoW habit have been telling me for a loooong time that Blizz would never go to microtransactions -- full stop -- because it would "kill the game." The trading cards were as far as Blizz would ever go, they claimed. Welp, they just sold a mount for cold USD. What next? It'll be fun to listen to the pissing and moaning over this.[/QUOTE]

Well Blizzard has stated they wouldn't ever sell stuff that gave a advantage over someone else, like weapons and armor.

If they started selling high end gear, they would lose a ton of subscriptions from raiding guilds just up and quitting. Mounts and pets, those are just vanity items really and don't give an advantage to the owner.

Personally, the only mount in the game I wanted that was not attainable by in game means is the Rocket Extreme flying mount. I wasn't willing to pay the $300 or whatever it was going for at the time, even though I was selling gold so technically the mount would have been paid in game, just couldn't bring myself to do it.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Well Blizzard has stated they wouldn't ever sell stuff that gave a advantage over someone else, like weapons and armor.

If they started selling high end gear, they would lose a ton of subscriptions from raiding guilds just up and quitting. Mounts and pets, those are just vanity items really and don't give an advantage to the owner.
[/QUOTE]
I don't think any of Blizz's statements pre-ATVI are worth taking as gospel. Let's say that they hold to this, that they won't sell anything that provides an advantage. It's awfully subjective, I'd say at best it excludes gear that competes with Tier gear.

That doesn't exclude them from peddling heirloom gear or anything else that would ease the transition from newb to level cap. That's for casuals, and they've already got 12M subscribers ready to buy something to help them level toons, complete collections, so on. The response to the starry horse is alarming, and it's hard to believe that they'd ignore that success because of some aside about micro-transactions from years ago.

[quote name='dothog']I don't think any of Blizz's statements pre-ATVI are worth taking as gospel. Let's say that they hold to this, that they won't sell anything that provides an advantage. It's awfully subjective, I'd say at best it excludes gear that competes with Tier gear.

That doesn't exclude them from peddling heirloom gear or anything else that would ease the transition from newb to level cap. That's for casuals, and they've already got 12M subscribers ready to buy something to help them level toons, complete collections, so on. The response to the starry horse is alarming, and it's hard to believe that they'd ignore that success because of some aside about micro-transactions from years ago.[/QUOTE]

You and many others forget, Blizzard is still totally self contained and is under its own leadership as part of the deal of the merger. Activison has no say in what Blizzard can and can not do.

Blizzard isn't going to do anything that is going to disrupt their subscription base with WoW, till their next MMO comes out they are working on. They are no longer gaining subs and have become stagnant and the last thing they want to do is do something to make it go down.

Now, when their next MMO hits the market and it starts taking over the reigns from WoW, I wouldn't be surprised if we then start to see micro transactions come into play in WoW. But as it is now, I wouldn't expect anything more then vanity type items cause they do not want to lose subs just for a quick cash in on some gear when the subs will make them more money overall.

[quote name='KaOTiK']You and many others forget, Blizzard is still totally self contained and is under its own leadership as part of the deal of the merger. Activison has no say in what Blizzard can and can not do.

Blizzard isn't going to do anything that is going to disrupt their subscription base with WoW, till their next MMO comes out they are working on. They are no longer gaining subs and have become stagnant and the last thing they want to do is do something to make it go down.[/QUOTE]
First, I know all about ATVI's supposed lack of involvement in Blizz's affairs. Are you aware of ATVI's relationship with Blizz?

And AGAIN, how exactly will microtransactions disrupt the subscription base? Nobody's saying they sell off Tier pieces or gold. There's so much they can do with this to improve the early levels for new or existing subscribers. I cannot imagine that people who care about the endgame would raise too much of a stink about mounts, heirloom gear, whatever else so long as it doesn't infringe on hardcore lewts.

People clung to hard and fast rules that Blizz wouldn't allow character transfers, then changes in race, alignment, class, then whatever else. Somehow, it got done and Blizz made money off of it. It's a friggin business, there's money on the table, and they'd have to be retarded to watch millions in pure profit magically appear overnight for a few lousy unlocks.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I hope no-one is willing to spend 25 dollars on a virtual mount.

Opinions?[/QUOTE]
Its WoW. This is like a second or even primary job for some people. You think they wouldn't spend 25$ on some ingame stuff? Hell, they're already paying what.. 15$ a month just for the privilege of playing. Whats 2 months worth of subscription fees to someone really into WoW?

Opinions, I think its a great move on Blizzard's part. Obviously people are more than willing to pay for this, I think I read somewhere that it had already made them 14 million dollars. That much for a single model? They'd be stupid not to charge for it and equally stupid for not making more.

To make it an even bigger success than this horse, make something and only release it in limited quantities. Say a dragon or frog or whatever and only sell i dunno.. 20,000 for 50$ a pop. I guarantee WoW players would max out that 20,000 the first day.

If they went all out and released something with ridiculous rarity say, only 1,000 or 500 or whatever, they could easily sell whatever it was for 100$+

I think I saw a discussion on this earlier today where people were talking about selling something called a loot card. Sounded like a voucher for some other mount like this horse thing. They said these loot cards were selling for 600-800$ Even if thats exaggerating a few hundred dollars, people are already paying hundreds for some rare mount, why not let Blizzard get in on that $ itself.

Ah I just looked this up. It looks like a magic the gathering sort of game that links to the in-game account through some scratch card sort of deal.
Heres one I found on amazon for 600$
http://www.amazon.com/X-51-Nether-Rocket-World-Warcraft/dp/B001FI3ZMQ/ref=pd_sim_t_4

C-c-c-c-razy

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dothog']First, I know all about ATVI's supposed lack of involvement in Blizz's affairs. Are you aware of ATVI's relationship with Blizz?

And AGAIN, how exactly will microtransactions disrupt the subscription base? Nobody's saying they sell off Tier pieces or gold. There's so much they can do with this to improve the early levels for new or existing subscribers. I cannot imagine that people who care about the endgame would raise too much of a stink about mounts, heirloom gear, whatever else so long as it doesn't infringe on hardcore lewts.

People clung to hard and fast rules that Blizz wouldn't allow character transfers, then changes in race, alignment, class, then whatever else. Somehow, it got done and Blizz made money off of it. It's a friggin business, there's money on the table, and they'd have to be retarded to watch millions in pure profit magically appear overnight for a few lousy unlocks.[/QUOTE]

I explained how micro transactions will disrupt it the sub base already if they started selling actual high end gear. The stuff you named is who gives a crap non game changing non end game stuff, that's why no one cares, it is just for show and in the case of a mount making the leveling up process a bit easier. Blizzard is also not going to want to offer gear up cause you take the carrot away you find people getting bored a hell of a lot quicker and leaving the game as well.

They are a business and they are playing the field perfectly atm. They are cashing in on these vanity type items that don't take away anything from the actual game while keeping their sub base from going down. In the long run, the sub base will win out in terms of money made cause every player is paying that where as only a small fraction are buying these virtual items. Sure the micro transactions are instant money in your hand, but if you start offering high end gear, you take away the carrot and people become bored a lot quicker since they can just buy it, subs canceled, then you have end game raid guilds that rather go to another game then deal with people just buying the best, and last the people that play the game to be with friends, when your friends are leaving you really think they want to hang around?

It is in Blizzards best interest not to sell gear as there are too many incentives to keep people playing to get it instead of doing a quick cash in. In the future this will undoubtedly change, most likely as I said earlier, when their new MMO comes out or when WoW is starting to steady decline.

As a WoW player (well off and on for years) I think that selling gear via micro transactions will be a bad thing. The main reason is some newbie could buy this gear and have no skill whatsoever if asked to join a raid or group. It will just hurt the players who didn't buy the items with real money.

Now with that said one area I could see this working out in would be in the crafting areas. There are some mats that are just a royal bitch to get and I am sure some people would spend money to get those mats faster.

In the long run as long as they still have all the items (except for the cosmetic ones) available to people who buy them or not, I will be ok with it. I would not pay a monthly fee then be forced to purchase items because they are the best.

everquest did this a few years ago with the card game of theirs. big problem was it wasnt mounts or stuff like that but really op clickies. till lon came out many guilds were stuck at event 2 in solt but fire up a few kisses on mana users and it helps a ton.

as long as they keep it to mounts and junk it wont be that bad tho hehe. even in eq although i dont think it was fair to people not pooring money into that card game, it still wasnt to game changing, was pretty much like an extra set of vet aa. at the worse id think of it as a few op racials hehe

My guild mates were telling me that there was a queue just to buy the mount the day it came out so I went to just check and see and sure enough the queue was 165,000 people! Madness.

The problem with these sorts of things is the amount of people who want to buy them because it's unique. This happens with EVERYTHING. They sell something you can't get in-game, so people buy it since it's special, and soon enough everyone has it and it's nothing new anymore.

It's a bit annoying.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']The problem with these sorts of things is the amount of people who want to buy them because it's unique. This happens with EVERYTHING. They sell something you can't get in-game, so people buy it since it's special, and soon enough everyone has it and it's nothing new anymore.

It's a bit annoying.[/QUOTE]

lol yeah

I have a few unique items on my account. I have vanilla WoW CE so I get to choose from the panda, diablo, and zergling that always makes people go wow. Girls love the panda cause he falls asleep and has zzzz's above his head, diablo is cool cause he randomly breathes a huge cloud of fire, the zergling just sucks though imo.

I also have on my rogue the original night elf epic mount, which they now cal I think the ancient frostsaber. Has no armor, is plain white and has a purple saddle. I love that damn mount. All the original epic mounts (besides the undead since theres was finished in time for release) weren't in the game long, when I think the dire maul patch (1.3 I think?) came out they took them out and replaced them with the armored ones that are still in the game. They allowed people with the non armored ones to trade them in and many many people did that so the amount of original ones left is extremely few. There was also a great bug with trading them in the day the patch went live. When traded in, the mount was suppose to be taken from your inventory and the new given, instead the new one was given and the original stayed in your inventory so people were selling the new armored one on the AH to cash in haha.

bread's done
Back