World of Warcraft now F2P (level 20 cap)

Holllly shit. C'mon Blizz, see how much attention this attracts and go completely F2P... :D

But seriously, from what I've heard you could easily get level 20 in the 14 day free trial (or hell, a couple days really) so F2P stuck at level 20 isn't... really anything, is it?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Holllly shit. C'mon Blizz, see how much attention this attracts and go completely F2P... :D

But seriously, from what I've heard you could easily get level 20 in the 14 day free trial (or hell, a couple days really) so F2P stuck at level 20 isn't... really anything, is it?[/QUOTE]

It isn't. And if anyone is seriously interested in the game, dig through the referral section, at least help a CAG out. Some might have the full version code still too, since Blizzard sent a free copy of WoW to every active subscriber a week or two ago.

Yeah, time to rock out with my c0ck out and slay some boars! Its boar time baby! The hills of Azeroth will never be the same after my mighty boar-slaying hammer hath smitten every last boar. Eye of the tiger baby, eye of the tiger! Woohoo!

world-of-warcraft.jpg

wow.jpg

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']I'm sure it's just to attract people and let them see what WoW is all about, and then hook 'em in.[/QUOTE]

Obviously it is, but it's a feeble attempt to bring more subscribers in as last I heard they are actually losing more and more people.

Then Guildwars is coming out as well as The Old Republic this year so that's going to steal subscribers as well.

But still, you can't do anything at 20, I would think they'd let people play free till 60 to really experience SOME "high" level stuff.

I played a trial of the new xpac and didn't even finish it. WoW is dying IMO.

[quote name='digitalplague']Ill stick to LOTRO FULL F2P[/QUOTE]

..full? You mean buy your quests by the zone...

Don't get me wrong, I like LOTRO, I have a lifetime sub since Day 1 as soon as the beta ended... but the "free to play" bit is very restricted from what I've read. More than this gives, but I'd hardly call it free free.

I don't know why they even bother advertising this as a new trial though, I thought you could hit 20 on the trials before...

I guess it's more of the fact that you can make the account, get to level 20 or whatnot, and then come back way later to see if the game has changed if you didn't enjoy it.

[quote name='dallascowboys']It isn't possible to do the f2p and then a 14 day trial after that, is it?[/QUOTE]

So.. you extend the free to play... that won't let you pass level 20...

...with a trial that stops at level 20 in 14 days?

Unless this is for the sake of refer-a-friend... but you *really* shouldn't need more than 2-3 days to hit level 20. WoW is super easy mode of MMOs. Plus refer-a-friend grants 3x xp from almost everything if you adventure with the person who referred you... so have them make an alt. I took one of my character from 1-60 in 2 days abusing that. I just ran two clients at once.

Send a refer i will most likely do this. I just got to get my nephew to get back on it so i can play with him. He used to be a big wow fan and would drive me nuts with it. :)

The only good thing I see out of this is that you can hang out ingame with an inactive account without having to keep making trials and readding people so they can talk to you. Good if you want to catch up with old friends or stalk old egirlfriends.

In other news, the game is at its all time shittiest point. Game hasn't been good since January 15th 2006 but at least the first two expansions were fun for a little while. I think I quit Cata like two months in.

[quote name='georox']..full? You mean buy your quests by the zone...

Don't get me wrong, I like LOTRO, I have a lifetime sub since Day 1 as soon as the beta ended... but the "free to play" bit is very restricted from what I've read. More than this gives, but I'd hardly call it free free.

I don't know why they even bother advertising this as a new trial though, I thought you could hit 20 on the trials before...[/QUOTE]

Actually the f2p is very nice. You can get to at least level 30 easily without spending any Turbine Points. By the time you are that level, you should have enough Turbine Points from doing Deeds (achievements) for another quest pack or 2. By the time you are level 40ish, you'll know if you want to spend money on the game. Or you can just grind skirmishes, but I hate them (grinded them lvl 20 to 30 before they made Lone Lands free)

I LOVE how you can get points from doing "achievements". Technically if you do enough achievements, the whole game is 100% free.

I started back in October. Bought Moria (comes with 30 days vip that comes with 500 turbine points, normally $15) for $10. Got to level 50 before the 30 days. Had plenty of points left over for Loth, Mirkwood, and Enedwaith.

Best part is, even AFTER your vip runs out, there is a lot of stuff you keep. Main ones being no gold cap, all trait slots, and AH house.

$10 for a little under 1000 hours played (just on my main), I think that's a pretty good deal ;) I am jealous you have the lifetime subscription though :( Really Looking forward to Isengard!

[quote name='bob101910']Actually the f2p is very nice. You can get to at least level 30 easily without spending any Turbine Points. By the time you are that level, you should have enough Turbine Points from doing Deeds (achievements) for another quest pack or 2. By the time you are level 40ish, you'll know if you want to spend money on the game. Or you can just grind skirmishes, but I hate them (grinded them lvl 20 to 30 before they made Lone Lands free)

I LOVE how you can get points from doing "achievements". Technically if you do enough achievements, the whole game is 100% free.

I started back in October. Bought Moria (comes with 30 days vip that comes with 500 turbine points, normally $15) for $10. Got to level 50 before the 30 days. Had plenty of points left over for Loth, Mirkwood, and Enedwaith.

Best part is, even AFTER your vip runs out, there is a lot of stuff you keep. Main ones being no gold cap, all trait slots, and AH house.

$10 for a little under 1000 hours played (just on my main), I think that's a pretty good deal ;) I am jealous you have the lifetime subscription though :( Really Looking forward to Isengard![/QUOTE]

I'm too broke to get Isengard at the moment. :( Trying to scrape up the $50 for it.. my account has almost *every* code applied to it.. buying things at launch, preorders, convention items... you name it, I probably have it.

The difference here is that the new Starter Edition trial allows you to create as many characters as the full game allows, and each can be leveled up to level 20 with no time restriction. In the previous 14-day trial, you could technically create as many characters as you wanted with a level 20 cap, but ultimately you couldn't do much with more than one or two because after two weeks you were shut out.

So, basically, I could make Character A, level him up to 20, then Character B, level her up to 20, Characters C and D and etc...

And yes, there's not much to do before level 20, but it's a good start.

the story line quests are free (epic quests) plus there no lvl cap if you wanna grind out till lvl 65 you can.. plus deeds and tp you "buy" quest packs.. so yeah FULL F2P. you get all teh zones just not the quests so you can grind xp liek a mad man

[quote name='digitalplague']the story line quests are free (epic quests) plus there no lvl cap if you wanna grind out till lvl 65 you can.. plus deeds and tp you "buy" quest packs.. so yeah FULL F2P. you get all teh zones just not the quests so you can grind xp liek a mad man[/QUOTE]

^^^ Talking about LOTRO. For those who aren't sure what he is talking about.

I can see WOW becoming F2P. They'll probably do something like LOTRO did, but not for long time unless they have another big game come out. It's gotta be big, like a World of Warcraft 2.

They are still making a lot of money off WOW, but more and more players are looking for F2P options. Pretty sure LOTRO was almost dead before F2P. (Amazon Prices) Moria Expansion was $10 (so happy I got it cheap) when it went F2P, but now after winning a bunch or rewards and good reviews, Moria Expansion is $45!

I wouldn't mind if these went more like Guildwars: Buy once, F2P after initial purchase (ie, no sub. fees). Totally F2P (free client and sub) is best, but I'll gladly buy the game in the first place at least.

[quote name='bob101910']^^^ Talking about LOTRO. For those who aren't sure what he is talking about.

I can see WOW becoming F2P. They'll probably do something like LOTRO did, but not for long time unless they have another big game come out. It's gotta be big, like a World of Warcraft 2.

They are still making a lot of money off WOW, but more and more players are looking for F2P options. Pretty sure LOTRO was almost dead before F2P. (Amazon Prices) Moria Expansion was $10 (so happy I got it cheap) when it went F2P, but now after winning a bunch or rewards and good reviews, Moria Expansion is $45![/QUOTE]

LOTRO had rewards and good reviews before going F2P. Issue was it isn't WoW. Most gamers wanted an easier game.. so the devs made it a bit simpler, made the difficulty to level a lot lower (At least in my eyes...) and made it free (with a few catches)

And honestly, saving up enough points from free playing to unlock everything would take a lot of time.. I'd rather just find some part time work and buy points.

[quote name='georox']LOTRO had rewards and good reviews before going F2P. Issue was it isn't WoW. Most gamers wanted an easier game.. so the devs made it a bit simpler, made the difficulty to level a lot lower (At least in my eyes...) and made it free (with a few catches)

And honestly, saving up enough points from free playing to unlock everything would take a lot of time.. I'd rather just find some part time work and buy points.[/QUOTE]

(some comments about WOW, trying not to turn this thread into LOTRO) I did try WOW 3 or 4 years ago and hated the grinding. Heard there is much less grinding now, so I'll check out WOW again if it becomes all f2p. Right now, I like being able to buy everything and not worry about paying monthly.

They made it a lot easier and I've only started playing when F2P came out. Noticed some things are harder though. Most recent one I noticed was Dark Delving's 1st boss. We died the 1st time, so looked up a video. The ones we found were 2 years old. There weren't any worms getting you rooted.

Points will take a very long time to get if you do not pay anything. I got Moria for $10 + $15 for vip this month (love pvmp freep side) + $50 for Isengard = $75 and I'll have everything (all quest packs, gold cap gone, and trait slots unlocked, etc.) I need so I won't have to pay ever again unless I get all 5 of my characters to 65 (don't see that ever happening)

bread's done
Back