World Series 2005: White Sox vs. Astros

[quote name='JebusMcLucifer']The 'Stros have got to win. They've waited to long just to lose it.[/QUOTE]

Not as long as the White Sox have.

I don't want to start a war, but I do want to take this opportunity (as it might be my last) to tell all the Cub and Red Sox crybabies where they can stick their "woe is me" sorrows. For years now all I have heard is "Woe is me, it's been XYZ years since we won a World Series."

Well that's all well and good, but even if you're not one of us long-suffering Texas baseball fans, it's been difficult to miss the graphics they've been throwing up on the screen the last several weeks and know why I'm not shedding any tears for the Cubbies or the Sox (before last year). Which 2 teams have gone the longest without ever GETTING TO THE WORLD SERIES? Not which ONE team, not "out of the bottom 5". I'm saying, which two teams are DEAD LAST and SECOND TO DEAD LAST when it comes to reaching (Not WINNING, just GETTING THERE) the world series?

That's right, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. The Cubs could go another 100 years without winning the Series and they'd still have more championships than the Astros and Rangers combined. Yet year after year after year of the Rangers getting hot through the All-Star break and then fizzling into oblivion and the Astros crawling into the playoffs, all I hear about at the end of the season are those poor Cub and Red Sox fans.

Cubs and Sox, you know nothing about baseball underachieving. Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Hopefully the 'Stros will follow in the Red Sox footsteps and leave me only the Rangers to complain about...

[quote name='chosen1s']I don't want to start a war, but I do want to take this opportunity (as it might be my last) to tell all the Cub and Red Sox crybabies where they can stick their "woe is me" sorrows. For years now all I have heard is "Woe is me, it's been XYZ years since we won a World Series."

Well that's all well and good, but even if you're not one of us long-suffering Texas baseball fans, it's been difficult to miss the graphics they've been throwing up on the screen the last several weeks and know why I'm not shedding any tears for the Cubbies or the Sox (before last year). Which 2 teams have gone the longest without ever GETTING TO THE WORLD SERIES? Not which ONE team, not "out of the bottom 5". I'm saying, which two teams are DEAD LAST and SECOND TO DEAD LAST when it comes to reaching (Not WINNING, just GETTING THERE) the world series?

That's right, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros. The Cubs could go another 100 years without winning the Series and they'd still have more championships than the Astros and Rangers combined. Yet year after year after year of the Rangers getting hot through the All-Star break and then fizzling into oblivion and the Astros crawling into the playoffs, all I hear about at the end of the season are those poor Cub and Red Sox fans.

Cubs and Sox, you know nothing about baseball underachieving. Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Hopefully the 'Stros will follow in the Red Sox footsteps and leave me only the Rangers to complain about...[/QUOTE]
:applause:

Holy shit. That whole 9th inning was an emotional rollercoaster. I had a good feeling when Podsednik stepped up to the plate, and bam... he did it. 2 wins away.

Game 3 was a heart attack for me. The Sox went down 0-4, took a 5-4 lead, the Strosn tied it, then the Sox won 7-5 in 14 innings, tied for most innings ever in a WS game and it was the longest game, time-wise, at 5 hours, 41 minutes.

Hopefully they'll sweep in Game 4 tomorrow night since I'll be at the bar and can celebrate with a beer in my hand and my woman by my side.

[quote name='chosen1s']I don't want to start a war, but I do want to take this opportunity (as it might be my last) to tell all the Cub and Red Sox crybabies where they can stick their "woe is me" sorrows. For years now all I have heard is "Woe is me, it's been XYZ years since we won a World Series."

Cubs and Sox, you know nothing about baseball underachieving. Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Hopefully the 'Stros will follow in the Red Sox footsteps and leave me only the Rangers to complain about...[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't both the Rangers and Astros expansion teams? I know the Rangers were, and I think the Astros were. They don't have the history that the Red Sox and Cubs have thus them not winning or getting to the world series isn't as big a story. How long have each been in the league?

[quote name='Matt Young']Game 3 was a heart attack for me. The Sox went down 0-4, took a 5-4 lead, the Strosn tied it, then the Sox won 7-5 in 14 innings, tied for most innings ever in a WS game and it was the longest game, time-wise, at 5 hours, 41 minutes.

Hopefully they'll sweep in Game 4 tomorrow night since I'll be at the bar and can celebrate with a beer in my hand and my woman by my side.[/QUOTE]

I'm still pissed about this. That fucking Astacio, why didn't he just make it really easy for em and throw the ball underhanded. He definetly lost that game for the Astros. Every inning from the 8th on, the Astros were doing a lot better than the Sox until they put Astacio in :bomb:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm still pissed about this. That fucking Astacio, why didn't he just make it really easy for em and throw the ball underhanded. He definetly lost that game for the Astros. Every inning from the 8th on, the Astros were doing a lot better than the Sox until they put Astacio in :bomb:[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't put all the blame on astacio. iirc, approx 18 runners were stranded on base last night. ensberg left like 10 people on base after he had batted. i'll blame some poor managing and bad execution on the part of the astros. last night, burke was at 3rd base waiting to score and win the game. taveras should had done a suicide squezze on the play. worst thing that could had happen was burke was out at home and biggio moves up to 2nd with 2 outs. white sox are the team of the destiny unlike the astros, who i thought were the team of destiny. the white sox didn't win by luck last nite, unlike the first 2 games, but they executed better than astros.

First, the team's attitude comes from the manager down to the players, and I think Guillen has a lot more fire in his belly than Garner.

Secondly, Garner keeps playing games like he's setting his rotation up for another series. He needs to take something out of the Terry Francona / Jack McKeon handbooks during their World Series Championship seasons. Losing Game 3 is totally unacceptable. Down 2-0 with only one team ever coming back from 3-0 to win a series, you HAVE TO play for Game 3 ONLY. Worry about Game 4 after you can put Game 3 away.

Third, Astros hitters keep striking out with runners in scoring position. Even if you hit the ball weakly at least you may get an error. It's almost impossible to score if you can't get the ball in play (unless you steal home).

Fourth, Astacio in the 14th was a horrible decision. Where was Backe? At the very least put Backe out there.

IMO Astros should probably be up 2-1.

[quote name='H-Town Info']backe is pitching tonight, so i dont think garner would put him out there[/QUOTE]

Who cares when you are down 3-0 :)

I still say play for Game 3, worry about what happens tomorrow.

There was no excuse for Houston last night, they had every opportunity in the world to win that game...

on a side note, did anyone read on ESPN.com about how one of their writers got on the astros case for not bringing in lidge in the SEVENTH inning of game 2 to face konerko? What the hell is that about? Now we're going for three inning saves? What a joke...

[quote name='ryanbph']as much as i would like for astros to win...the whitesox have had the chips fall there way all postseason[/QUOTE]

Wow! So are you saying that they haven't earned their 10-1 post season record? :roll:

For the record, I am not a White Sox fan.

[quote name='ryanbph']as much as i would like for astros to win...the whitesox have had the chips fall there way all postseason[/QUOTE]

They have gotten a break or two (although some of the supposed major ones are debatable) but the Astros were the ones getting most of the breaks last night. It's their fault for laving 15 runners stranded on base afterlosing the lead (although the Sox had the same number stranded in the game).

I must say this is probably one of the best WS's i've ever watched.

The blame has to fall on the Astros's for their 9th inning crap-fest. If a guy's on 3rd, 1 out, and both guys strike out? Ridiculous.

Good to see Chicago going to win a WS. That means "The Loveable Loser Cubs" will now be in the position of the Red Sox.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I must say this is probably one of the best WS's i've ever watched.

The blame has to fall on the Astros's for their 9th inning crap-fest. If a guy's on 3rd, 1 out, and both guys strike out? Ridiculous.

Good to see Chicago going to win a WS. That means "The Loveable Loser Cubs" will now be in the position of the Red Sox.[/QUOTE]

i hope not. The cubs would get more fans by losing while the sox win and barely get shit. I like both teams, but that aint right.

Does anybody know the name of the song Fox was playing before the game? It was during one of those "White Sox vs. Astros Game 4 Coming Up Next" screens. I think the song is probably called, "The Last Time" but I don't know who the artist is...that sang the version Fox played...surely one of you know what I am talking about!

THEWHITE SOX WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!

I am wicked drunk right now... but my Sox have won the World Series for the frist time since 1917... fucking party time!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I've now seen my 3 favorite teams win it all. The Bulls from 1991-93 and 1996-98, the Packers in '97 ('96 season) and now the Sox. I don't care what non-fans say, but seeing your team win the championship of their respectivesport is better than almost anything that can happen in a man's life. I qpt openy when Chicago won it all.

bread's done
Back