Worst B&M Game Retailer 2010

[quote name='steve nash']people who hate gamestop arent smart enough to shop at gamestop[/QUOTE]

Mind elaborating? I am exasperated as to how this could make any type of sense.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Mind elaborating? I am exasperated as to how this could make any type of sense.[/QUOTE]

you're better off not trying to figure out what he means.

Kmart or gamestop, but I voted kmart.

Kmart: prices are higher than any other retailer; store looks nasty and ghetto; a lot of lazy people working there (This is an opinion about the Kmarts in my area, obviously)

Gamestop: Overpriced; lots of young, smart-ass kids working there.

Walmart: Very hard to get help in the electronics section for my local walmarts.

Best buy has a good selection. I'm happy with them. Target, I never go into.

One of the very few times I actually went the B&M route this year was to try and get You Don't Know Jack. Target didn't have it the week it came out (and still doesn't I think) so they get my vote.

[quote name='steve nash']people who hate gamestop arent smart enough to shop at gamestop[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSI Magus']Mind elaborating? I am exasperated as to how this could make any type of sense.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']you're better off not trying to figure out what he means.[/QUOTE]

Well, while I normally would agree with you there confoosius, there is a kernel of a good point in this statement ;). What he means, I think, Magus, is that if you know how to take advantage of their deals (and I don't mean exploit - I just mean know when to use them and when not to) you can do pretty well shopping at GS. Judicious use of 50% bonus/tiered trade-in deals combined with B2G1 and their occasional sales (they do have some depsite what everyone here is posting - they aren't all advertized) can make some stuff pretty cheap.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I disagree. Yes I talked about the online stuff but I was mixed up at what topic I was posting in. The offline stuff is equally bad. Maybe the employees where you live know what they are talking about, but I have been to 5 gamestops locally and only 2 or 3 of the employees at the gamestops have a clue what they are talking about. Most of the rest are cute girls hired just to have cute girls there or guys that do not know anything beyond God of War and Modern Warfare. Game prices are usually higher in store then I can find online at various retailers, they try and sell used games as new, games are often disorganized and they push preorders and edge cards like its their job....because it is. I am just going to stop there but I can name more negative.

Yes the people at walmart NEVER know what they are talking about, but at least you are never dealing with a myriad of other issues.[/QUOTE]

It isn't that people at Walmart don't know what they are talking about. I mean, let's face it, most of us don't need the employees of the stores we buy games at to know anything about them other than enough to have them out for sale on time (which is an issue at some Kmarts to be sure). I don't like Walmart because of the store in general and more specifically from a gaming deals perspective they never seem to have any decent sales and their clearance is a YMMV mess. It isn't like Target where most stores will have the same items on clearance for more or less the same prices. Nearly every time I've gone to a Walmart because of a thread here about a clearance item it wasn't on clearance where I went. I vote for then every year because they are this huge mega-retailer that isn't even on my radar for game buying. I never even consider them any more so for that reason they get my vote. Meanwhile, every year I get lots of great deals at Target, Kmart, Blockbuster, Best Buy and even, (gasp!) Gamestop. I've probably bought 2 or 3 games over 5 years at Walmart.

As for Gamestop, my local one has some guys working there that I can talk games with and they don't hassle me at all about anything. So, yeah, it all depends on the employees I guess. I haven't seen "cute girl" syndrome around here, so I guess that depends on the district/store managers or whoever does the hiring. That's not to say there aren't some cute girls working at some of the stores - but for the most part the ones I've dealt with have also been gamers and know what they are talking about. So them being cute (or not) can't be hald against them.

Of course at other GS locations (besides my local one) I'll get asked about preorders. But c'mon, it really isn't that big a deal. You say no and move on. I know some of them can be a litte pushy (telling you crap like you won't get the game otherwise, etc), but I encounter that very rarely. And of course I already have the Edge/PowerUp card, which has saved me so much money over the years, so I don't get bugged about that. I found Gamecrazy's habit of pushing "game guard" or whatever the hell they called that (their game scratch guarantee) to be 100% more obnoxious - even more so that they don't exist any more and that "lifetime guarantee" people shelled out for is now utterly void.

While I dislike some of GameStop's policies, if I go by "least amount of good deals" I'd go with Target. Just don't see many good deals in their weekly ads.

[quote name='io']Well, while I normally would agree with you there confoosius, there is a kernel of a good point in this statement ;). What he means, I think, Magus, is that if you know how to take advantage of their deals (and I don't mean exploit - I just mean know when to use them and when not to) you can do pretty well shopping at GS. Judicious use of 50% bonus/tiered trade-in deals combined with B2G1 and their occasional sales (they do have some depsite what everyone here is posting - they aren't all advertized) can make some stuff pretty cheap.

It isn't that people at Walmart don't know what they are talking about. I mean, let's face it, most of us don't need the employees of the stores we buy games at to know anything about them other than enough to have them out for sale on time (which is an issue at some Kmarts to be sure). I don't like Walmart because of the store in general and more specifically from a gaming deals perspective they never seem to have any decent sales and their clearance is a YMMV mess. It isn't like Target where most stores will have the same items on clearance for more or less the same prices. Nearly every time I've gone to a Walmart because of a thread here about a clearance item it wasn't on clearance where I went. I vote for then every year because they are this huge mega-retailer that isn't even on my radar for game buying. I never even consider them any more so for that reason they get my vote. Meanwhile, every year I get lots of great deals at Target, Kmart, Blockbuster, Best Buy and even, (gasp!) Gamestop. I've probably bought 2 or 3 games over 5 years at Walmart.

As for Gamestop, my local one has some guys working there that I can talk games with and they don't hassle me at all about anything. So, yeah, it all depends on the employees I guess. I haven't seen "cute girl" syndrome around here, so I guess that depends on the district/store managers or whoever does the hiring. That's not to say there aren't some cute girls working at some of the stores - but for the most part the ones I've dealt with have also been gamers and know what they are talking about. So them being cute (or not) can't be hald against them.

Of course at other GS locations (besides my local one) I'll get asked about preorders. But c'mon, it really isn't that big a deal. You say no and move on. I know some of them can be a litte pushy (telling you crap like you won't get the game otherwise, etc), but I encounter that very rarely. And of course I already have the Edge/PowerUp card, which has saved me so much money over the years, so I don't get bugged about that. I found Gamecrazy's habit of pushing "game guard" or whatever the hell they called that (their game scratch guarantee) to be 100% more obnoxious - even more so that they don't exist any more and that "lifetime guarantee" people shelled out for is now utterly void.[/QUOTE]

It seems first off that you have one of the very incredibly rare decent gamestops. I used to have one like that, everyone there including the cute girl played games and they never bugged you too much about pre orders. That shit ended around the time Ebgames got bought up. Within months all those employees were gone and the reign of the idiot began.

The second thing is you seem to place a larger value on getting a deal then dealing with a pain in the ass. I looked at it this way, Walmart is there for buying things new and paying retail. Yes I almost never want to do that and yes I seem to shop there less.....but it does what it is supposed to. Gamestop meanwhile is meant to be your cheaper option, its meant to be a place to buy used games at discount prices....but I do not even feel like I can do that 90% of the time. Yes Walmarts prices may be higher, but I can go in and not get hassled, I can go in and find exactly what I want without having to sift through games that kids have rearranged and I can get a new game thats still sealed and not "opened but new". Walmart is what it claims to be....gamestop is just bull shit.

Anyways, as I said I think we just see things differently. Naturally vote how you want and I can respect your opinion, just saying I strongly disagree with it ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']The second thing is you seem to place a [highlight]larger value on getting a deal then dealing with a pain in the ass[/highlight].[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely yes - I fully admit it.

This is Cheap Ass Gamer after all - not Convenient Ass Gamer ;).

But to keep it in the topic at hand, I could think of reasons to vote for any of the nominees in this category to be honest, so whoever wins deserves it...

[quote name='io']Yes, absolutely yes - I fully admit it.

This is Cheap Ass Gamer after all - not Convenient Ass Gamer ;).

But to keep it in the topic at hand, I could think of reasons to vote for any of the nominees in this category to be honest, so whoever wins deserves it...[/QUOTE]

Thing is though that there are better places out there. If Amazon and Walmart were the only two places available then yeah...id go through the pain in the ass of gamestop to get the best deal possible. However with Amazon, ebay and sites like CAG and Gametz out there...there just is not a need for gamestop where as Walmart still would serve the base purpose of a place to pick up new games.

As you said though....most of the places that you can vote for here really deserve it. Those places are basically for soccer moms and nothing more.

I wonder why you people hate Gamestop. Mine has these nice guys who really know games. They have consols in there to play some demos on too. The T.V.s have some good info and are not that anoying. while i have never seen this 'new" opened thing (I buy most used its better prices.) it is a problem i guess. you guys complain about the prices, but you don't realize that they ahve to make a profit. If they sell the games the got used for anything less they would not make a profirt to be able to get newere games. They get great deals. I have the poweru card and i was able to reedeam poitnts for some COG Tags that look coll that i would have had to pay like 13 bucks else where. Come on people if you don't like the place don't buy there. Them telling you about pre-order bonus's is store policy and they want to make money. If you don't like the prices then go to Craigslist or something Geesh. I don't hate any of these places.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I wonder why you people hate Gamestop. Mine has these nice guys who really know games. They have consols in there to play some demos on too. The T.V.s have some good info and are not that anoying. while i have never seen this 'new" opened thing (I buy most used its better prices.) it is a problem i guess. you guys complain about the prices, but you don't realize that they ahve to make a profit. If they sell the games the got used for anything less they would not make a profirt to be able to get newere games. They get great deals. I have the poweru card and i was able to reedeam poitnts for some COG Tags that look coll that i would have had to pay like 13 bucks else where. Come on people if you don't like the place don't buy there. Them telling you about pre-order bonus's is store policy and they want to make money. If you don't like the prices then go to Craigslist or something Geesh. I don't hate any of these places.[/QUOTE]

Amazon just has better prices overall and they do it without treating customers like second-rate citizens. Not all GS have annoying employees, but most do.

Also, the prices you pay for used games I can buy new for a lower price at Amazon.

I only use Gamestop if I can make money from them.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Amazon just has better prices overall and they do it without treating customers like second-rate citizens. Not all GS have annoying employees, but most do.

Also, the prices you pay for used games I can buy new for a lower price at Amazon.

I only use Gamestop if I can make money from them.[/QUOTE]

I can't buy things online. (Mom won't put up CC info.) And my gamestop is Epic. Pluss I got Assins Creed Brotherhood of them about a month after it came out for $40.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I can't buy things online. (Mom won't put up CC info.) And my gamestop is Epic. Pluss I got Assins Creed Brotherhood of them about a month after it came out for $40.[/QUOTE]

I guess given your circumstances you make the best of it. But when you get your own CC (and you should as soon as possible to start building credit) look into doing business with Amazon.

[quote name='Trance Addix']I guess given your circumstances you make the best of it. But when you get your own CC (and you should as soon as possible to start building credit) look into doing business with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I know b/c i want to but a Download code for alan Wake and i know i wont be able t evar! :whistle2:(

I voted for Gamestop because I feel like a jagoff every time I walk in there (which won't be happening anymore).

But you know what drives me fuckING NUTS about Best Buy? That 'pick up at the store' type option they have online... Your item is supposed to be held behind the service desk for you to pick up and pay for... But I think I've done this about 15 times spread across 3 different Best Buys, over the course of 3-4 years, and the item I ordered has been actually taken off the shelf prior to me getting there ONCE. Every other time, I've gotten to the service desk, show them my order/receipt... and they have to go searching the store for it, while I wait.

And btw, they send you an email saying YOUR ORDER IS READY TO PICK UP... yet they haven't actually done jack shit. Arghh!

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I know b/c i want to but a Download code for alan Wake and i know i wont be able t evar! :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

That sucks man. I haven't played too much of it, but it's good. Especially for $10

Kmart, hands down, for the worst. I've called several stores to find out inventory and have been placed on hold without answer, dealt with ghetto-ass employees with no customer service etiquette and have found their stores to be super disorganized. I've stayed away since!

bread's done
Back