Worst B&M Game Retailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Voting is now open for Worst Brick & Mortar Retailer of 2005.
This award goes to the worst overall B&M (physical store) video game retailer.

Please vote using the polling system above.

Nominees:
Best Buy
Circuit City
EB Games
GameStop
Wal-Mart

I would say ebgames, just cause I hate how they handle pre-played games, and when you buy new sealed games, the sometimes tear off the plastic wrap, some things they do just seem a little shady to me.

i am going to say blockbuster followed by ciruit city, blockbuster because as a store they suck even though they have good deals they have a tendicy to hassel you after your 2nd time of using that deal then ciruit city because the people working thier dont really help you and its even worse when try to price match

[quote name='CheapyD']
If your nominee is already listed below, please do not post it again.

Nominees:

[/QUOTE]

Whew,

Reading Is Fundamental...

EB Games. Ever since they started pushing warranties on pre-owned games they no longer clean them. There's no effort at presentation at all. It looks like a half-mutated midget fornicated every disc in that place.

I'm pretty sure that this was going on pre-2005, but it really hit some low points this year with the shit that makes it to shelf.

[quote name='bmulligan']Whew,

Reading Is Fundamental...[/QUOTE]
You should try it sometime since there's nothing listed there under nominees.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You should try it sometime since there's nothing listed there under nominees.[/QUOTE]

i think he was referring to the "If your nominee is already listed below, please do not post it again." :applause:

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']i think he was referring to the "If your nominee is already listed below, please do not post it again." :applause:
[/QUOTE]
As was I ;). If Cheapy wanted one post per store, website, etc. he'd have stated "posted" instead of "listed." Listed refers to the nominees list, at least that's how I see the term being applied, as in if it's listed as a nominee, don't post about it anymore.

Why not just nominate every store, regardless of whether anyone thinks they're shit, and call for votes?

EB Games
Gamestop
Gamecrazy
Gamerush
Rhino
Game Quest (aka GQD)
Estarland
Fry's Electronics
Toys 'R' Us
Target
Wal-Mart
Kmart
Best Buy
Circuit City
FYE
Toys 'R' Us
Media Play
CompUSA
Meijer's
KB Toys
Longs Drugs
Kohl's
Sears

Wal-Mart
Wal-Mart
Wal-Mart
Circuit City
Wal-Mart
Wal-Mart

Did Wal-Mart even have any deals this year (or ever)? Circuit City had some, but I didn't find jack squat.

How can anyone say EB? EB had some excellent trade in deals: trade in 4 GBA games for Nintendogs and the trade in 3 PS2/GC/XB games for a select PSP game!!

[quote name='Pope On A Rope']K-Mart. Outdated prices, terrible selection, always disorganized. I've never been to a K-Mart that has proven otherwise.[/QUOTE]

That same argument can be made for Walmart. And Compusa.

[quote name='sonarrat']Why not just nominate every store, regardless of whether anyone thinks they're shit, and call for votes?

EB Games
Gamestop
Gamecrazy
Gamerush
Rhino
Game Quest (aka GQD)
Estarland
Fry's Electronics
Toys 'R' Us
Target
Wal-Mart
Kmart
Best Buy
Circuit City
FYE
Toys 'R' Us
Media Play
CompUSA
Meijer's
KB Toys
Longs Drugs
Kohl's
Sears

[quote name='sevdustflyer']EB Gamestop - two of the worst companies combined to form the ultimate crappy game store.[/QUOTE]

Hear, hear!

WalMart. They NEVER have deals, except for those occassional YMMV sales that I never see.

I'm going for EB for the above mentioned selling of used games as new. This is the first time that I haven't immediately thought of Best Buy. The Northcrest BB has been superb to me this year...

[quote name='Zon27']Target sucks. They never have clearance stuff and they never have my soda in stock.[/QUOTE]

Target is still pretty good. Their weekly sales on recently released games are pretty generous.

Wal-mart is one of, if not the worst places to buy games. Their prices are out of date and they never put the games out any where close to their release date.

Wal-Mart and Kmart are pretty much tied when I think about it, with Wal-Mart being slightly worse.

Circuit City for terrible selection.
Best Buy same reason.
EB-Even though the flier with the trade in 5 games get Tiger Woods 06 deal was right there on the counter, the idiots still wouldn't do the deal. I printed the deal off the EB website and took the printout to another EB store and they still tried to say the deal didn't exist.

Wal-Mart

Hands down this has to be the worst B&M store for Video Games. There is no question about it.

My reasons:

They will no longer price match Best Buy, Circuit City, ...
They no longer price match stores across the street.
They never have sales.
They never lower the price after a Player's Choice/Greatest Hits/... designation
The Managers are stuck up and snobbish. (everyone single one I have been too at least)
The selection absolutely blows.
If they could, they would edit out content on the games. (they pretty much only sell edited CDs)
Think they have a monopoly on the market in their area.
Rollback.
Takes a week or more sometimes to get new releases. (even Madden!)
Think $49.92 is the lowest price in town.
YMMV. (need I say more?)

Cheapy you can close this thread down and give Wal-Mart the crown or trophy now.

Almost forgot the runner up: EBGames

My reasons:

Sells opened games as new.
Sells used games in seran wrap as new.
Think it is OK to open a game and then call it new and sell at full price.
Claim a game is new when it has never been played and selling for full new price.
Charge same price for disk only as a complete copy. (Where is the logic in this?)
Stopped selling classic games.
Taking preorders before an offiicial launch date.
Taking preorders without knowing how many units they will get.
Giving absolutely shitty credit towards used games.
Over pricing used games. ($5 difference?!?! WTF?!?)
Allowing little Jimmy to trade in his used copy of Toy Story with "Little Jimmy" written in nice black permanent marker and then selling for full price.
Giving out false information.
Selling warranties for games.
rebates.

I know many of these apply to Gamestop too, but Gamestop was good to me and EBGames was very bad. Coal for EBGames.

My Walmart price matches other stores with no problem. Right now the PlayStation 2 video game case is almost empty. Not much PS2 games in stock. Only two people ( the electronics department manager and one other girl) in that department know what they are doing. Sometimes it takes two weeks or more to get new releases. Sometimes they put a bunch of older games out instead of putting new games out.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Sears. They have no selection of games, and the few they have are from years ago and they still charge $50 for em'.[/QUOTE]

...and because they carry so few games, they never seem to have any of the good titles on clearence when you stop in to check.

Gamestop for me. Usually because they have used games in stock but decide to keep it for themselves. I would arrive to the store, find the case to the game I want, only to have them say that is on hold for one of the employees or that they can't find it (even though it shows the game is in stock on the website for days)... I haven't experienced this at eb.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Gamestop for me. Usually because they have used games in stock but decide to keep it for themselves. I would arrive to the store, find the case to the game I want, only to have them say that is on hold for one of the employees or that they can't find it (even though it shows the game is in stock on the website for days)... I haven't experienced this at eb.[/QUOTE]

That's more a gripe about the employees at the store. It happens in any store that has either an insane deal or rare items, as soon as employees hear about it, its fair game. I know everyone hates it, but its a perk.

I nominate Circuit City, because shopping for video games there is completely useless. The shelves are mauled, games are unorganized, AND the prices are messed up. Is there seriously something wrong with alphabetizing video games? They do it for CDs and DVDs, why not video games?. This was a problem in two stores, and made shopping for that clearance deal impossible.

[quote name='chargeup45']That's more a gripe about the employees at the store. It happens in any store that has either an insane deal or rare items, as soon as employees hear about it, its fair game. I know everyone hates it, but its a perk.

I nominate Circuit City, because shopping for video games there is completely useless. The shelves are mauled, games are unorganized, AND the prices are messed up. Is there seriously something wrong with alphabetizing video games? They do it for CDs and DVDs, why not video games?. This was a problem in two stores, and made shopping for that clearance deal impossible.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 types of CC stores - those that alphabetize and those that don't :D. I've only ever found clearance games at the ones that DON'T. The ones that are in order tend to have half the number of games, and there are, obviously, no gems hidden behind those games in the front...

[quote name='io']There are 2 types of CC stores - those that alphabetize and those that don't :D. I've only ever found clearance games at the ones that DON'T. The ones that are in order tend to have half the number of games, and there are, obviously, no gems hidden behind those games in the front...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, true, I did a little searching in the smaller XB and GCN sections (screw the PS2 section, it was a monster), but nothing good was coming up. To be fair, I did spot a clearance title here and there, but nothing worth picking up. If I was looking for anything beyond the heavily popular games or M-rated games behind the glass, I was screwed.

[quote name='io']There are 2 types of CC stores - those that alphabetize and those that don't :D. I've only ever found clearance games at the ones that DON'T. The ones that are in order tend to have half the number of games, and there are, obviously, no gems hidden behind those games in the front...[/QUOTE]

I've only seen the ones that don't, so I have to nominate CC for their disorganization, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back