Worst console ever?

[quote name='manofpeace20']My vote goes out to the original NES, and here is why:

Sure the games were incredible, as many will find out when some more get rereleased in the coming months, but the system was a piece of crap. Many people I know nowadays complain about the PS2 disc read errors as being the end-all, but old school gamers will surely remember that constant twitching red light. The only reason I bought 3 NES systems was because the games were so addictive. To this day, there has not been a poorer model than the first NES.[/quote]

Actually, the original NES had just one problem: the connector eventually wore out and made the games difficult to use. It is one piece of the system that is easily replaced with a $6 new one (people sell them on eBay all the time). The systems themselves, other than this one piece, are extremely durable and reliable. If you're looking to get your NES to work every time I suggest getting a new 72-pin connector and installing it in your NES. I did so; it only takes 10 minutes of your time and a screwdriver. My NES games work every time.

The least reliable systems are no doubt Playstation and Playstation 2. These things break very easily and are cheaply made, especially the first models of each.

[quote name='karmapolice620']Wow...I cant believe someone else knows what it is...no one else that Ive ever met has ever know what in the hell it was...I wish mine still worked (I threw it away cuz it wouldnt work)...I found one on ebay a while ago for 5 bucks but I missed the bid time...[/quote]

it was my first "computer" i loved it when i was a kid, especially the spelling game with the space ship! oh man next time im home im gunna ask my mom if its around anywhere

[quote name='MauMauProductions']Game.com was much more fun that the original Game Boy. If only it was supported more. Castlevania SOTN (played a Demo ROM got it from Rom World) was sick...if that came out I woulda been SOLD.

Worst system...I HATED The N64 but I'll say The Pippin.[/quote]

For Game.com? I need to play this!!!!

In my experience, I'd have to vote the worst video game system to be the Sega 32X. It had a very short life with nothing but slightly beefed-up rehash games. I'm a huge fan of Sega and still own a Genesis, Sega CD and Saturn. The 32X was a waste of time and money. As for the CDi, there were a few games that were decent for adults, but most were designed for little kids. We still have two CDi systems, but my kids have long since stopped using them. Same CAG's voted for the Virtua Boy, but that system was actually pretty cool, if you could get over the color RED for every game. Good graphics for the time however. My 2 cents...

It was suppose to be a port of the PSX from what ive read. I'd love to atleast try what they had finished of it. Sounds interesting.

[quote name='karmapolice620']nobodies nominated this cd-i...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4315&item=8108018731&rd=1[/quote]

Eh, this just exemplifies one of the things that made CDi a little...well, retarted. There was Magnavox CDi, Philips CDi, and I think there might have been Panasonic and Matsushita models as well. I still can't figure out why they'd want to have multiple manufacturers producing the same hardware.

see i disagree that xbox doesn't have good games even though i hate MS i still think that did the system right and developers love it. AND in animation school were lerndined how to program with console (game development class) and it is much easier. I would have to say the worst system ever was 32X i remember my dad yelling at me cause i begged for one and then my neighbor got it. I remember playing Doom 32x and some motocross game and saying holy shit i'm so glad i didn't make my dad buy this, he would have beat me with the unit.

meynerd

I vote for Phillips Cd-I. My Mom was helping test market them, and 1 out 20 store employees didn't even knew the thing existed. So how can you sell them. Plus the games sucked.

32x was ok. Doom was good for it.

Also, the saturn kicks ass. the capcom games main reason to own a saturn besides Nights.

ROFL i'm not making fun of you but it seems that the only game ANYONE remembers on 32x is the almighty doom it just makes me laugh, and the other funny part is you say it was "ok" doom was good

heh funny stuff

meynerd

My vote goes to game.com...

I remember a years back that I saying how cool it was to a friend seeing it advertised. I made him buy it, I tried it, and I accidently dropped it. Oopsie, Some part chipped off. Anyway I forgot about the quality of the system, but I think the dashboard was hard to control.

um...Id go with the ngage...That system was a damn dog, and i knew it the first time i picked it up. Taco phone, or as better put by Admiral Ackbar, "gonorrhea'

+32x

As for the virtual boy, poor thing was doomed thanks to it being rushed. I read that there were many more features that were supposed to be implemented which didnt make it thanks to the deadline being pulled back to release the system on a favorable sales season.

Among these missing features: Full color

So i cant call it that bad. Some of the games were actually decent.

CDi had some excellent edutainment titles for kids and a few decent games for adults if you had the digital video cartridge. Kether comes to mind. There are others, but I have not used the system in a while. They also had a kid roller controller that my kids were using at 3 years old. It had its place back in the day, but again, it was really focused towards younger kids.

to the cdi, i counter with...

top10_04Zelda.jpg

wand of gamelon.......

[quote name='The Cheapest Ass Gamer'][quote name='manofpeace20']My vote goes out to the original NES, and here is why:

Sure the games were incredible, as many will find out when some more get rereleased in the coming months, but the system was a piece of crap. Many people I know nowadays complain about the PS2 disc read errors as being the end-all, but old school gamers will surely remember that constant twitching red light. The only reason I bought 3 NES systems was because the games were so addictive. To this day, there has not been a poorer model than the first NES.[/quote]

Yes, NES systems never lasted more than a few years. I remember the sad, slow deterioration of my first gaming console, but that was because of the moving parts that Nintendo for some reason thought was a good idea. Reliability-wise, yes, the NES was not an example of a well-built system. But look at what it did to the gaming industry! The games themselves were revolutionary. You wouldn't have PS2 or Xbox today if not for the NES--it saved a defunct, downhill fad from being just that.[/quote]

Your NES didn't work because you didn't take care of it. I had an NES for years and never experienced the blinking problem.

I have a Virtual Boy still set up at my house. In fact, I bought games for it not too long ago, though I haven't played it in a few months. It had some great games, like Wario Land, Mario Tennis and Panic Bomber. It's biggest problem was price, and when it didn't sell at $220 or whatever the hell it was priced at, Nintendo gave up on it.

The Game.com doesn't have much of a library, but it had Lights Out, which was addictive. A couple of it's ports were ok, but it just had too many card games and crap like Jeopardy. Note that Game.com had an internet kit, which was ahead of it's time. Anyways, it's a handheld, not a console.

Sega 32X...well, I can't think of any redeeming qualities for it. I guess it gets my vote.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='MauMauProductions']Game.com was much more fun that the original Game Boy. If only it was supported more. Castlevania SOTN (played a Demo ROM got it from Rom World) was sick...if that came out I woulda been SOLD.

the most powerful system in the world dosent matter if it dosent have good games....look at xbox :wink:[/quote]

Yea I see what you mean, thats why no one owns an Xbox, and it doesn't average 7 game sold per a console

Are you high? The Xbox is the only system to out sell the PS2. Did you see Xbox's E3...they took the show.

As for the worst tytem ever, its a tie between the Virtual boy and the Jaguar. Why people say the Saturn i don't know (The Saturn was great, it just had terrible advertsing/marketing and never became as popular as the Playstation).

Are you high? The Xbox is the only system to out sell the PS2.

Yeah, for 1 month, in an almost saturated market. Do your math fanboy and add up the months for the last few years.

And as for power and lack of sales. Look at TG16. Most power, last in sales. Atari-Lynx? Jaguar? Neo-Geo? Lots of things are at work in the market besides raw system power, my fine feathered friend.

[quote name='Sylent Khaos'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='MauMauProductions']Game.com was much more fun that the original Game Boy. If only it was supported more. Castlevania SOTN (played a Demo ROM got it from Rom World) was sick...if that came out I woulda been SOLD.

the most powerful system in the world dosent matter if it dosent have good games....look at xbox :wink:[/quote]

Yea I see what you mean, thats why no one owns an Xbox, and it doesn't average 7 game sold per a console

Are you high? The Xbox is the only system to out sell the PS2. Did you see Xbox's E3...they took the show.

As for the worst tytem ever, its a tie between the Virtual boy and the Jaguar. Why people say the Saturn i don't know (The Saturn was great, it just had terrible advertsing/marketing and never became as popular as the Playstation).[/quote]

xbox outsold ps2 for 1 month, when xbox dropped in price. ps2 didnt sell as many when they dropped because so many people already own a ps2, there wernt as many waiting for a price drop.

im not sure if you even know what e3 is, but it was all nintendo. xbox had nothing but a release date for halo 2, and really, who cares about that?

i said the xbox purley in jest, but it has a weak line up. yes it has good games, and ill list them:

ninja gaiden
panzer dragoon

i know xbox has alot of 3rd party games, but so do the other 2 systems, so they really dont count because exclusive games are where its at., and xbox lacks greatly in this department.

just because of your post, i change my vote to xbox as worst system ever

back to you cave troll

Wow all the hatin' on the xbox reminds me of gamefaqs.com boards lol

Anyway I vote for CD-I too, I remember watching some video about it and wanting one, but never even saw it in any store or any games.

Actually the trolls are the ones that say something that's obviously stupid, like calling the Xbox the worst console ever when it's obvious the GameCube is the worst console ever.

torch.jpg

[quote name='dokkeynot']By far, the Playstation 2. How can a system have hundreds of games, and not a single even halfway decent one?[/quote]

I hope you don't call yourself a gamer because you are not.

[quote name='Sylent Khaos']
[/quote]

What are YOU smoking? Xbox took the show? Please. I guess you didn't see how shitty the playable Doom 3 looked did you? It truly showed what the Xbox can't do. And what's up with that booth design? It was a cluster fuck. Elbow to elbow gamers in a space barely bigger than Sega's booth.

[quote name='karmapolice620']Also I vote for the Socrates...I dont know if anyone else had one...but the only games were learning games (yes I know it was a system for learning) but they were not fun at all...well maybe they were cuz I was little but still...It had soooo many problems...Like one out of 10 times it would actually work and it had wireless controllers but they were like really bad remote controls and you had to point it at the system for it to work...[/quote]

Yesss I had a Socrates, my mom bought me it, and the system was pretty lame..

I had a Jaguar too, and it had some worthy titles during its day, although iits high on the list for bad consoles, I remember I traded my snes +14 games in to funco so I could get a jaguar. Luckally all the snes games I had are pretty cheap to get today...But after play the few games good games, I put an ad in the newspaper, and some redneck came and bought it... said he sold his playstation so he could buy it. I bought a playstation later that year :).

But for also being an owner of a 32x,cdi,and 3do. I feel I have a good assortment to compare sorry systems too ;)

btw anyone purchase a gameaxe?

I was pretty big into game.com when it first came out. I even went out and bought the communications kit or whatever it was called, and hooked it up to an external modem. You could dial up and access a shell, check your email. A few months later I realized it was horrible....

[quote name='PsyClerk']The Jaguar is going for about $150 on eBay right now. Why?[/quote]

I guess it is because they sold off all the excess systems and turned them into something for dentists (did not catch the whole story, saw a clip on G4)

hmmmmmph...I thought adventurevision was pretty cool.

I vote Atari 5200. The controlers were crap, easily broken. And non-centering analog sticks were a stupid idea. The games were great but without a decent controller, it was meaningless. Not to mention the idiotic, irreplacable power supply/ rf modulator.

And some of you guys complain about Sega not supporting their consoles?

One of the things that created an ongoing market for Jaguar systems is that it's open to anyone who cares to hack at it. When Hasbro acquired all of the Atari assets they made the security codes and schema publicly available and also put the SDK in the public domain. There is a interesting little community doing Jaguar games still. Having easy access makes it a different scene than hacking other defunct consoles.

The source code for Jaguar Doom can be obtained here:
http://doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/index.php?platform=4

Those bringing up Doom on the 32X should be ashamed of themselves. That was one of the worst version of Doom ever. The enemies weren't 3D! No matter which direction you approached them from they were always facing you. This meant they always saw you, too and thus completely changed the game play. Pretty sad considering that the original Pac-Man arcade game incorporated enemy behavior based on which way their eyes were facing to determine if they saw you and gave chase.

Doom for the Jaguar, OTOH, was undeniably the finest ROM based version, encoded by id, not handed off to some hapless contractor. (The Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D was also coded by id but was only practice for Doom in term of technical accomplishment.)
http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.html?SoftwareID=2516

If someone wants a good 32X game to point to there's Star Wars. This one was pretty fun and for some odd reason there has never been another home version of that arcade game on more capable hardware. Some dispute between Sega and Lucas?

Nothing comes close to the suckiness of the Atari Jaguar. The launch consisted of Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy and Cybermorph. For every AVP, Tempest 2000 or Iron Soldier there was a Kasumi Ninja. It was pure unadulterated crap.

Next on my list of sucky consoles is the Virtua Boy. I wouldn't know about any of the games on it being any good. I played the demo in a Toys R Us and had a headache for 2 hours that wouldn't quit. Sorry, that defines pure unfiltered suck.

Say what you want about the CD-I, 3DO (Which had at least 20 good games even if they were PC games.) 32x or any other "contenders" but those two are the top suck fiends ito date.

Heh, in the early 80's I worked at a computer store that was also an Atari Service Center. We spent a huge amount of time fixing 5200 controllers free of charge to the customer but we did get paid by Atari since there was a recall on the first generation units. The only recall on avideo game controller I've ever known. We did a nice business on the Wico replacement controller that had proper centering.

The 5200 controller is like the game slot debacle on the Nokia N*Gage. Why didn't they give consumer test groups a chance to tell them it was a terrible idea. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had centering and if they took advantage of the analog in more games. (I only recall one game that did but cannot remember the title.) The vast majority of 5200 games were existing Atari 400/800 games recoded to use the 5200 controller. The systems were completely identical from a programming perspective other than the controllers and a tiny handful of other items. Hardly any developer wanted to make games that really used the 5200 controller thoroughly since they also wanted to release that game for the 400/800 with its single button 4-switch sticks. I can only recall one 5200 exclusive release in its whole existence: Countermeasure.

The Atari 5200 was nothing more than a 400/800 chipset. That was obvious even at the time. It wasn't a next generation console, the 7800 would have been. The 5200 was a chipset designed in 1978 designed to be an advance in 1982. That's like someone now coming out with a 500 Mhz G3 chip or a Pentium 3 733 and telling you now it's state of the art console. They'd be laughed off the stage before their announcement was done.

I have to comment on this quote... "And as for power and lack of sales. Look at TG16. Most power, last in sales. Atari-Lynx? Jaguar? Neo-Geo? Lots of things are at work in the market besides raw system power, my fine feathered friend."

The TG-16 was not the most powerful 16 bit machine. In fact it wasn't even a true 16 bit machine, it was an 8 bit CPU with a 16 bit graphics chip hence it was really an 8 bit machine. The Lynx may have indeed been the most powerful handheld until the GBA launched. It ate batteries like a fiend as did the Sega Master System based Game Gear. On to the Jaguar.... it was NEVER a 64 bit machine. Nothing in the architecture was 64 bit, it was a combination of chips that let Atari make the claim.

Last but not least the beloved Neo Geo. Yes, it was the most powerful console released until 1995. It was the undisputed power king for 6 full years and still to this day arguably the best 2-D console ever made. However the Neo was never, ever aimed at the mass market. Not when it cost $500 to buy and the games were so memory ROM intensive they cost $200.

Last but not least, with the exception of the PSone, the most powerful console doesn't win. Oh and to you SNES crybabies.... yeah... Nintendo won when Sega quit and went Saturn head to head they were always second. It's easy to win a race when your competitor quits.

EDIT: POST 100! WOOOHOO! :beer:

The TG-16 was not the most powerful 16 bit machine. In fact it wasn't even a true 16 bit machine, it was an 8 bit CPU with a 16 bit graphics chip hence it was really an 8 bit machine.

It may not have been a 'true' 16 bit machine but were not comparing it to 16 bit machines. It's competition was the NES and it was, inarguably, the more powerfull of the two. Or the three if we're counting the Master System which was also an NES competitor.

I'm going to say Virtual Boy. Any system was a warning on the box saying that anyone under 7 who uses it could get permanent eye damage is a disaster. Other than Wario, none of the games were that great and it was an uncomfortable system to use and was very fragile.

As for the CD-I, I thought it was a good system at the time. I had a lot of fun playing some of the games like Video Speedway

Everybody ragging on 32X should go play Space Harrier. Perfect arcade port of an incredible game, minus the ultra-cool moving chair of the arcade of course. SH alone made my 32X well worth the $15 I spent for it (also included 2 games).

I'm going with Virtual Boy, too. I rented one when they came out, and yeah, the games were fun for the few minutes I could play them before the fucking headache from hell set it. Good god! If I wanted a headache from gaming, I could just sit real close to the tv, turn the colume way up, or just bash myself in the head with a fucking NES Advantage for a few minutes!

Also, I got my NES back when the original Zelda came out, and sure, it acts a little funny sometimes, but overall, it works just fine. I love my NES. :)

"It's competition was the NES and it was, inarguably, the more powerfull of the two. Or the three if we're counting the Master System which was also an NES competitor."

Dude, it wasn't an NES competitor. It was launched head to head with the Mega Drive in Japan. It was supposed to be a Genesis and SNES competitor not an 8 bit competitor.

bread's done
Back