Worst Final Fantasy?

[quote name='Chacrana']FFXI, because it's actually the worst.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I probably shouldn't have included it, eh? time2close

I haven't played all of them, but I am pretty sure II is my pick. It has a really annoying character development system.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not sure what this poll is asking? which is the worst FF? or which number was a bad choice for the FF game? i just picked X-2 because FF's don't have sequels!

[quote name='benwah']im not sure what this poll is asking? which is the worst FF? or which number was a bad choice for the FF game? i just picked X-2 because FF's don't have sequels![/QUOTE]

Title changed so it's not so confusing.

Ugh, I should've known not to include XI. Gomennasai guys. D:

For me, the worst is II. Couldn't get into it. At all.

They are all pretty great, although after the first disc FFVIII started to really disappoint.

Anyways, FFXIII is my personal favorite =D

haters gonna hate

The various iterations of FF2, which all retain its terrible character development system.

FFXI's flaws were much more forgivable pre-WoW, and I still find myself fondly remembering the atmosphere it created. The cities actually felt lived in, unlike the auction house surrounded by guards and vendors your typical MMO dots the world with. But fuck, was it a grind.

Outside of FFXI which is the easy choice? Probably FF2 NES (not to be confused with FF2 SNES). That game was pretty bad. I tried so hard to get into it: GBA version, tried the PSP version, PSX versions and so forth. Couldn't play more then a few hours worth no matter how.

Luckily they redeemed themselves with FF3 NES, even though it never released here the DS version was decent enough.

I voted for XI even though I don't think it belongs in this list. It shouldn't have been called XI anyway. Of the story/character based games I'd probably vote for X. Tidus is my least favorite character out of all the games.

There are only 15 spots so he can't include too many sequels. X-2 was a major game with a lot of press, it seemed like its own FF at the time.

FF2 was painful in places but I somehow got into it and finished it on the PSX Origins compilation. It probably holds up the least today, when compared to the updates and remakes of the other NES games.

X-2 was abysmal, though. The job and battle system was alright but the music, feel, attitude, and overall execution of the game was a j-pop nightmare.

Haven't played XIII but there's no way it's worse than X-2. I don't even consider XI as part of the series since it was an MMO. Why can't they just call it Final Fantasy Online?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Topic speaks for itself: Which Final Fantasy did you like least?[/QUOTE]

Every one of them starting with FF7 to FF13.

Ever since they hit the cd format each title has become less and less about the characters and the storyline and more and more about the graphics, cut scenes and mini games.

I gave up buying them around 11 and now Ill pick one up years later off ebay dirt cheap, play it for a little while and say "yup, they still suck" and Ill go play something else.

When I want a real FF game Ill break out the nes, snes or the gameboy advance and play one of the translations of the ones we originally didnt get from back them.

It makes perfect sense to include X-2 over the other spinoffs. Revenant Wings was, what, some sort of RTS-type battle system? Crisis Core was an action-RPG, Dirge of Cerebus was a third-person action game, and the Tactics games were all SRPGs. X-2 was a turned-based RPG very much in the standard FF vein.

I like how people are slamming FFXI just because it's an MMO. Good god, people. That does NOT make it bad. In fact, FFXI has been greatly improved from the grindfest it was back when it started. If you can get a good group of people to play with, you'll have a solid time. With your logic, that means Phantasy Star Online is a terrible game because it deviates from the original Phantasy Star series and is online. And one of the reasons mentioned earlier was "Because it's not a real FF?" Seriously? FFXI has more to do with the series than what the PS2/PS3 age FF games have. FFXIII looks a lot less like an FF title and more like your generic sci-fi futuristic RPG.

The worst has to go to VIII. Whole plot becomes redundant by the end of the game, Junctioning was a mess, and barely any of the characters are likable.

X gets my second pick, as the whole "LOL TIDUS WAS REALLY A DREAM!" was BS, hearing him whine about his father constantly and then having the only great character turn out to actually be dead was another move that made me throw my controller on the ground. That and the final boss being a fucking sphere that posesses your summons and the Sphere Grid system was annoying.

Who're the two suckers that voted for IX? That's one of the best of the series. :(

[quote name='Magus8472']The various iterations of FF2, which all retain its terrible character development system.

FFXI's flaws were much more forgivable pre-WoW, and I still find myself fondly remembering the atmosphere it created. The cities actually felt lived in, unlike the auction house surrounded by guards and vendors your typical MMO dots the world with. But fuck, was it a grind.[/QUOTE]

Ah FFII, still remember when my party had over 3000 hit points by the 4th battle.

[quote name='Tsukento']I like how people are slamming FFXI just because it's an MMO. Good god, people. That does NOT make it bad. In fact, FFXI has been greatly improved from the grindfest it was back when it started. If you can get a good group of people to play with, you'll have a solid time. With your logic, that means Phantasy Star Online is a terrible game because it deviates from the original Phantasy Star series and is online. And one of the reasons mentioned earlier was "Because it's not a real FF?" Seriously? FFXI has more to do with the series than what the PS2/PS3 age FF games have. FFXIII looks a lot less like an FF title and more like your generic sci-fi futuristic RPG.

The worst has to go to VIII. Whole plot becomes redundant by the end of the game, Junctioning was a mess, and barely any of the characters are likable.

X gets my second pick, as the whole
"LOL TIDUS WAS REALLY A DREAM!" was BS, hearing him whine about his father constantly and then having the only great character turn out to actually be dead was another move that made me throw my controller on the ground. That and the final boss being a fucking sphere that posesses your summons and the Sphere Grid system was annoying.

Who're the two suckers that voted for IX? That's one of the best of the series. :([/QUOTE]

I didn't slam it (or vote for it) just because it's an MMO. Also, your comparison to PSO is no good for me either as I friggin LOVE that game.
The biggest difference between the two for me was, if I chose to play PSO alone, it wasn't a problem. Anytime I tried playing FFXI without someone, it was a joke.
I like adding a community to RPGs, but I would still have a very clear, simple and realistic ability to play on my own if I wish to.

P.S. Just to be 100% contrary; FFVIII was awesome as well. ;)

FF III. It's not even close. The game is unplayable without a walkthrough. There's enemies IN the towns. There's a ton of hidden items that you need to just survive. And the job system takes a while to learn too.
Without a walkhthrough or someone to help you, you're doomed to wander around for roughly an hour until some uber monster massacres you party and takes your Halloween candy.

Just to be clear i'm referring to FF III NOT FF VI With Terra and the Espers and all the awesomeness.

FFXIII is pretty and all, but its pretty much just a big 'press x button' simulator. I mean, who the hell were they making this game for? One Eyed, one fingered goons?!

friggin AUTO battle?!! COME on!

[quote name='soliddragon']FFXIII is pretty and all, but its pretty much just a big 'press x button' simulator. I mean, who the hell were they making this game for? One Eyed, one fingered goons?!

friggin AUTO battle?!! COME on![/QUOTE]

I'm hoping XV has "Auto-Walk-Down-Hallway"

Only played 1 through 6 so far, and 2 was pretty bad, though the story was obviously a step up from the first.

Out of the ones I've played, FFVIII is probably my least favorite. It just really never pulled me in the way the others have. I got pretty far, but I've never been able to beat it, and that's after several attempts to get back into the game.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']It makes perfect sense to include X-2 over the other spinoffs. Revenant Wings was, what, some sort of RTS-type battle system? Crisis Core was an action-RPG, Dirge of Cerebus was a third-person action game, and the Tactics games were all SRPGs. X-2 was a turned-based RPG very much in the standard FF vein.[/QUOTE]

I would say FFXI shouldn't be included either as it's a completely different kind of beast. In my opinion, Square-Enix should've made it a separate branch of Final Fantasy (like how Tactics and Crystal Chronicles are) rather than a part of the main series.

XII - Only one I could not (and will not) finish. However, I choose not to play XI (MMO's don't fit in the realm of the FF installments - me thinks). And haven't play XIII yet.

A few points to make.

Never played Final Fantasy XI (although I have it) and I still wonder why its part of the series proper because it is online. Not saying its a bad game, just doesn't feel right, on paper at least, to be a Final Fantasy proper game.

X2 is the closest game-play wise Final Fantasy we got since since IX. XII, story-wise is str8 up Final Fantasy, with glaring parts missing (I.E. Gabranth being lame, Vayne never living up to potential). Seriously, if 12 played like X2 with some story fixes, it would've been one of the best games of all time. The through backs to older games are great.

XIII, IMHO, has a great story but takes away a lot of control from the player. Reviews have seen this as not a horrible thing, but I don't understand why they didn't institute the X2 battle system. Its basically the same thing, with more control. It has frustrated me while playing. X2 has the chain combos, the paradigm switch is the dress grid, and the attacks per ATB is basically present. Same system full control, hopefully XV re-evaluates this, as XIII scores with the story and having 2 great characters with the others not being too horrible.

IX is probably the most polarizing game in the series. Ive been told VII is, but IX is basically a love letter to fans of I-VI with a bit of a smirk at VII fans. IX is possible the last overall "real" FF in the sense of gameplay and story, It FEELS, PLAYS, and LOOKS like a FF game. That may not mean its liked by all, but the closest one since is X2. VIII, X, XI, XII, and XIII don't have that the complete package

Lastly, FF2 is not a horrible game, its just my least favorite in the series. II, III, and V lose the benefit of not being played upon their original release and therefore aren't looked upon as fondly. Final Fantasy I was so superior to Dragon Warrior I and II that its ridiculous. If FF2 was released as it was supposed to then, it would've held up better. Instead, it was released after FFIX in the US so its hard to judge it by the standards it should be judged against. It still feels like a FF in its early form, and more like a FF then XIII (not a rip on XIII).

In retrospect, II is my least favorite of a great series. I like VIII more as time goes on. It would've been great to have played V in context to its history, it was my most wanted game for years and it may be one of my favorites if I played it at release, then one of my middle games because I played it years later. VI is my favorite, IV is great (and may have the best story), VII is a lot of things for sure, and one of those is that it really feels like a FF game and is a natural evolution of the series. It needed a fourth party member though, that adjustment to 3 hurt the series IMO in that later games feel limited. I don't have much to say about III as I find it boring with good ideas scattered within.

Even know its not an RPG, I would put Dissidia on the list simply because of what it stands for. Its basically I part 2 (watch the ending and you'll get it) and brings the games together in the only way that can make a little sense. Its repetive, but its oozes with love for the series, something that series has seen once (XII) in the last 10 years.

Final Fantasy XIII, it not that i hate the game, but if a game made me fell asleep or a friend of my said "All the good parts is coming in 5 hours" (LOL That i laugh) . Then it end up in my "Don't bother to play" list.

I find it funny to see how so many people think FFVII is the "worst" final fantasy game. I doubt these people have played many FF games to begin with. I think its just backlash because so many people think VII is the best (which I don't agree with). Even for people who never played anything before VII, I find it hard to entertain an argument that VIII is better than VII, or even X or XIII for that matter.

I would love to hear some legitimate arguments though as to why VII is the worst FF games when compared to games like 1-3, X-2, and XII. Not why VII is not the best game, but why it is the worst.

bread's done
Back