Worst malware/virus ever

JolietJake

Banned
I usually don't have any problems with spyware or viruses, i know enough to keep myself safe. Somehow though, my desktop managed to pick up some nasty shit from somewhere. This is the worst malware I've ever seen. It replaced my desktop background with a web page full of links, added all sorts of desktop icons for crap it installed, had IE opening at random times with ads, even changed my firefox homepage. Worst part is, i have no idea where it came from.

I've managed to get rid of most of it by using spyware and anti-virus programs, but I'll have to reformat sometime this week, it's just got it's hooks into to much shit.

I had a really bad virus myself (It was a Trojan) late last year that kept trying to say there was several problems with my PC and trying to get me to purchase spyware products, which were fake and were the virus/Trojan. It kept screwing up my IE settings and popping up ads too.

What I ended up doing was resetting my computer back to manufacturing settings, because regardless of what virus software, Trojan Hunter software, etc. I tried didn't completely remove it (because it really messed up my registry).

ok, to fix this problem (I've seen it a few times)

I've had good luck with this solution:

First, download these 2 programs, make sure to save them directly to your desktop:
1. Combofix (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe)
2. smitfraudfix (http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.exe)

then, Reboot your computer to safemode (hit F5 a few times after the computer has booted, but before windows starts, a menu will apeark, chose safe mode)
once in safemode, run combo fix first (make SURE you run this directly from the desktop)
when combo fix is running don't click the mouse anywhere while its running.

once thats done (takes 10 minutes or so usually) run smitfraud (hit the CLEAN option) once thats done reboot. your infection should be gone

after this its also a god idea to run a spyware scan using "spybot" or AVG free

hope this helps

[quote name='Drnick']ok, to fix this problem (I've seen it a few times)

I've had good luck with this solution:

First, download these 2 programs, make sure to save them directly to your desktop:
1. Combofix (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe)
2. smitfraudfix (http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.exe)

then, Reboot your computer to safemode (hit F5 a few times after the computer has booted, but before windows starts, a menu will apeark, chose safe mode)
once in safemode, run combo fix first (make SURE you run this directly from the desktop)
when combo fix is running don't click the mouse anywhere while its running.

once thats done (takes 10 minutes or so usually) run smitfraud (hit the CLEAN option) once thats done reboot. your infection should be gone

after this its also a god idea to run a spyware scan using "spybot" or AVG free

hope this helps[/quote]

Thanks Dr. Nick!

[quote name='Drnick']
then, Reboot your computer to safemode (hit F5 a few times after the computer has booted, but before windows starts, a menu will apeark, chose safe mode)[/QUOTE]

F8. Good advice otherwise.

[quote name='JolietJake']I usually don't have any problems with spyware or viruses, i know enough to keep myself safe. Somehow though, my desktop managed to pick up some nasty shit from somewhere. This is the worst malware I've ever seen. It replaced my desktop background with a web page full of links, added all sorts of desktop icons for crap it installed, had IE opening at random times with ads, even changed my firefox homepage. Worst part is, i have no idea where it came from.

I've managed to get rid of most of it by using spyware and anti-virus programs, but I'll have to reformat sometime this week, it's just got it's hooks into to much shit.[/quote]

What kind of stuff do you use your computer for? You sound like the perfect candidate for a switch to Ubuntu.

[quote name='naes']Better yet, run Linux.[/QUOTE]

Or, even better, just don't be a retard who types "free pussy pounding scat" or "free photoshop warez" into Google without a fantastic browser/virus scanner.

[quote name='Sporadic']Or, even better, just don't be a retard who types "free pussy pounding scat" or "free photoshop warez" into Google without a fantastic browser/virus scanner.[/quote]

Actually, on Mac/Linux, you can search "photoshop pussy pounding" all you want.

[quote name='djkunai']Actually, on Mac/Linux, you can search "photoshop pussy pounding" all you want.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! You only have to deal with the massive headache which is Linux or the premium price for a Mac so you can be a complete retard without fear of consequence.

That's much better idea than just avoiding very shady places/programs and paying for a good virus scanner.

[quote name='Sporadic']Or, even better, just don't be a retard who types "free pussy pounding scat" or "free photoshop warez" into Google without a fantastic browser/virus scanner.[/quote]

Or get your free pussy pounding scat from more reliable sources like I do. :O

I also haz photoshop wareZ :O

Psst.. wanna know how to make your penis bigger?

[quote name='Sporadic']Congrats! You only have to deal with the massive headache which is Linux or the premium price for a Mac so you can be a complete retard without fear of consequence.

That's much better idea than just avoiding very shady places/programs and paying for a good virus scanner.[/quote]
I use Windows (used Linux for a bit, realized I liked Windows more) and I haven't got a virus since I was like 11 or something.

I have a friend at school who is a huge Apple fanboy. Always saying how he never gets viruses and shit, pisses me off. The only reason he doesn't get any viruses is because no one cares about Macs.

This thread was actually good for a laugh.

On a serious note hope it gets fixed for you OP. Grab the service pack updates before you get online for the first time though.

[quote name='naes']I use Windows (used Linux for a bit, realized I liked Windows more) and I haven't got a virus since I was like 11 or something.

I have a friend at school who is a huge Apple fanboy. Always saying how he never gets viruses and shit, pisses me off. The only reason he doesn't get any viruses is because no one cares about Macs.[/quote]

eh thats not entirely true. recently more and more malware writers are putting a lot of focus on exploiting firefox(over IE) & os x(over windows) just because they are gaining popularity. I believe there was an article on securityfocus.com or somewhere on packetstorm talking about this. can't find it atm.

As a mac and windows user, its just a matter of time before OSX is flooded with malware. ClamXav and LittleSnitch might be a must use programs for os x soon.

Aside from drnick's advice, i already know and have done all of that. I'll defiantly try that though, never heard of those two programs.

The apple suggestion had me rolling though, i think I'd rather have the viruses on my PC.:lol:

[quote name='naiku']eh thats not entirely true. recently more and more malware writers are putting a lot of focus on exploiting firefox(over IE) & os x(over windows) just because they are gaining popularity. I believe there was an article on securityfocus.com or somewhere on packetstorm talking about this. can't find it atm.

As a mac and windows user, its just a matter of time before OSX is flooded with malware. ClamXav and LittleSnitch might be a must use programs for os x soon.[/quote]
Thats what pisses me off about apple's advertising, as if Mac OS is actually more secure. It's just that nobody really bothers focusing on it because it has such a small percentage of users. Why bother writing a virus to infect such a small number of computers. Many Apple zealots can't see it that way though.

You're right though, as the platform becomes more popular, Mac users will have the same problems as Windows users.

^

Those ads are very lame. The first couple were funny but now they are very lame. OSX is essentially bsd (unix) w/ a pretty interface. Since it does have a bsd backend it is pretty secure but dont act like your superman. There is always kryptonite around the corner, for those who are looking for your vulnerabilities.

Is it me or has AVG stopped offering their free version of AVG anti-virus? I tried finding it yesterday and all i could find was a 30 day trial. Shame if they have.

[quote name='JolietJake']Is it me or has AVG stopped offering their free version of AVG anti-virus? I tried finding it yesterday and all i could find was a 30 day trial. Shame if they have.[/QUOTE]

free.grisoft.com

Come on, now.

bread's done
Back