Worst Online Game Retailer 2010

[quote name='solidusdeus']Gamestop- they tried really hard this year and have succeeded. Congrats![/QUOTE]
:lol:Couldn't agree with you anymore!

Gamestop because of their new promo receipt deal where they don't even tell you you received some sort of promotional deal, it's just on the silly receipt.

Also for their awful "We'll have it shipped by the street date" policy. Street date shipping sucks, ship that bad boy so come street date I can be gaming, not waiting to game.

Gamestop actually did good for the first half of the year when they did those hour-long sales. They would sort of mess them up with the site crashing, but you caould still get the price if you called in :)

I hate to be cliché about it, but GameStop wins by far for:

1. Changing the expiration dates on coupons given as pre-order bonuses with games (i.e. the "$10 off on a future purchase"-type coupons). Coupons that were originally listed as expiring in 2012 or 2013 suddenly expired on Dec. 31, 2010 instead, with no notification or warning of the change.

2. A non-functioning website that often messed up orders, claiming that coupons weren't valid for items they clearly were valid for, and losing discounts in final checkout that had been applied earlier. Even when the previously mentioned pre-order bonus coupons were still valid, they frequently just didn't work when actually entered on the site, despite there being nothing listed in the terms that would explain them not working.

3. Rude and discourteous customer service reps. When I called once regarding one of those pre-order coupons that wasn't working, the rep refused to help me and treated me as if I had already used the coupon (I hadn't) and was trying to scam them (I wasn't -- I only wanted what had been promised to me). Completely unacceptable. (Back to the non-functioning website point, I tried that same coupon again two days later and it worked without issue that time.)

4. On a personal note, when I moved this past summer, GameStop refused to change the billing address on my pre-orders, and told me that I'd have to cancel them and place new ones instead. In the process, I lost discounts that I had on those pre-orders that I had gotten through earlier promotions which had since expired. Needless to say, I took my pre-orders elsewhere.

Gamestop

They sent me a copy of :ps3:Black Ops clearly labeled DEFECTIVE that gave my PS3 a 80010514 error, which luckily is fixed by doing a file restore and deleting/reinstalling the game files.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Gamestop

They sent me a copy of :ps3:Black Ops clearly labeled DEFECTIVE that gave my PS3 a 80010514 error, which luckily is fixed by doing a file restore and deleting/reinstalling the game files.[/QUOTE]

Erm . . . Why would you even open a game that is clearly labeled as "defective"? I'd have taken that straight to the nearest GameStop store and demanded an exchange for another copy. I definitely wouldn't have put it in my PS3.

I mean, I'm all for hating on GameStop for all of the good reasons that there are for hating on GameStop (and I listed several), but I don't see how this one is really ultimately their fault.

[quote name='arcane93']Erm . . . Why would you even open a game that is clearly labeled as "defective"? I'd have taken that straight to the nearest GameStop store and demanded an exchange for another copy. I definitely wouldn't have put it in my PS3.

I mean, I'm all for hating on GameStop for all of the good reasons that there are for hating on GameStop (and I listed several), but I don't see how this one is really ultimately their fault.[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me (they sent me a Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3 that my console wouldn't read and it had a defective sticker on the cover.) I would say that's Gamestops fault, considering they're the ones that sent it out with a sticker clearly on the cover saying it's defective. The problem is that they accept fucked up games in their stores and then they send the scratched up games to their warehouse to be sold online. Almost every time I've ordered online from them I've had to swap it out in the store because the discs are either scratched (or in some cases, cracked!) to unplayability.

Gamestop for me. Now, they had good deals and good coupons, and I think they have excellent customer service, but I had a problem with almost every game I received from them. They were cracked, scratched, wouldn't load, replacements cracked. All of their used games seem to be defective returns they had resurfaced, which I'd expect from an Amazon third-party seller, or an Ebay seller, but not a major company like Gamestop. Good thing their stores cleaned up their mess with all my games.

[quote name='Rozz']The same thing happened to me (they sent me a Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3 that my console wouldn't read and it had a defective sticker on the cover.) I would say that's Gamestops fault, considering they're the ones that sent it out with a sticker clearly on the cover saying it's defective. The problem is that they accept fucked up games in their stores and then they send the scratched up games to their warehouse to be sold online. Almost every time I've ordered online from them I've had to swap it out in the store because the discs are either scratched (or in some cases, cracked!) to unplayability.[/QUOTE]

Their fault for shipping out defective/scratched discs, certainly. I wouldn't argue with that in the least, and it's why I don't even bother to order used games from them online -- I've never once gotten a used game that I've ordered from them online that I haven't had to return, so I stopped trying a long time ago. However, there does eventually come a point where responsibility shifts from the dumbasses who sent out a known defective disc to the dumbass who put that defective disc in his console.

[quote name='arcane93']Erm . . . Why would you even open a game that is clearly labeled as "defective"? I'd have taken that straight to the nearest GameStop store and demanded an exchange for another copy. I definitely wouldn't have put it in my PS3.

I mean, I'm all for hating on GameStop for all of the good reasons that there are for hating on GameStop (and I listed several), but I don't see how this one is really ultimately their fault.[/QUOTE]
Because Blu-Ray games are pretty hard to scratch and I figured that someone just told them it didn't work as an excuse when returning it.

But it did have a pretty long scratch on it right towards the center of the disc.

Though the reason I tried it in my PS3 was also because I'm banned from all GS stores and didn't wanna risk them calling the cops to have me arrested for trespassing after I'd been told I'm not allowed in the stores.

But like Rozz my copies DEFECTIVE sticker had a white sticker covering it as well, so I didn't initially know until I tried it that it was a bad disc.

gamestop.

i currently have three copies of the jeanne d'arc demo for psp (and one copy of the actual game) because their warehouse couldn't be bothered to look at the discs before they mailed them to me. i'll also have to agree that their customer service reps are awful... i had to make three calls to finally get things straightened out. 2 of the operators were blatantly rude, while the third was just completely apathetic. i also tried going in to two different stores to sort things out, and while the employees i spoke to were sympathetic, they also couldn't do anything for me. so definitely gamestop.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Amazon

Lost 4 games in the mail. I never had shipping troubles with any other website this year.[/QUOTE]

Not flaming here, just legitimately asking, but how is it amazon's fault that the games were lost? Did they help you at all when you reported that you did not receive your packages? That really stinks that it got lost though.

My vote mirrors the majority here.... Gamestop.

Gamestop, since they can't keep a website running correctly when they run sales or program coupons to save their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bubbamel']Not flaming here, just legitimately asking, but how is it amazon's fault that the games were lost? Did they help you at all when you reported that you did not receive your packages? That really stinks that it got lost though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I've had Amazon packages get lost in the mail (which has happened a few times), they've always been really, really good about sending me replacements, even though it wasn't their fault. Hell, they even replaced a PS2 that was lost a couple of years ago, and sent the replacement with overnight shipping (even though I hadn't used overnight originally). If they've left you hanging, you must not have asked very nicely (or not asked at all, in which case, are you expecting them to read your mind?).

gamestop! hands down the worse of the worse. i rather buy my games from a track suit wearing guy in a dark alley then have to deal with gamestop

I think its BECAUSE of Gamestop's crappy website that I used glitches to my advantage to score some good game deals. Their shipping sucks though.

Buy.com for their complete lack of control over their 3rd parties. You don't make sure a 3rd party comes through on a deal (or match it yourself) that you advertise as a Black Friday deal? Seriously you play the "we're not responsible" on a BF deal you promote?

bread's done
Back