Worst Video Game Cover Art Ever

Sega master system, Pro Wrestling was the weirdest one that I own/recall. It looked like the guy had himself in a headlock. Also, what was wrong with the bust-a-move 2 and super bust-a-move coverart? I guess people were used to the little dinosaurs in those two games and wanted them as part of the coverart.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I guess people were used to the little dinosaurs in those two games and wanted them as part of the coverart.[/quote]

Uhhh...you mean Bubble Bobble???

capa22.jpg

hahaha

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Also, what was wrong with the bust-a-move 2 and super bust-a-move coverart? [/QUOTE]

Sooooo.... a baby's head covered in graffiti screams "excellent puzzle game marketing concept" to you? What was it like working at Acclaim? Was it hard to get work done over the sound of people flushing away garbage bags full of money?

[quote name='arthurRWD']I've actually got the last two, awful box and all. Anticipation is a fun game.[/quote]

Yeah Anticipation is awesome. Unfortunately my friends don't agree with me.

Here is one more.

1058775818001sa.jpg

[quote name='stinkoman']
ccedk0lx.jpg

rivalturf1du.gif

anticipation4jx.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What are they anticipating? Starring in a real-sex episode about gaming swingers?

In the time of the Atari 400 Pac-Man had rabbit legs and teeth. Is what the caption says, or so I think, could be wrong my portuguese is rusty.

[quote name='Fanboy']Sooooo.... a baby's head covered in graffiti screams "excellent puzzle game marketing concept" to you? What was it like working at Acclaim? Was it hard to get work done over the sound of people flushing away garbage bags full of money?[/QUOTE]

Personally I never liked the New Puzzle Bobble art cover and the game was not that good to begin with. In fact the Neo Bubble Bobble is really deformed on the NDS. The same could be said for Bust a Move 2.

The only one out of these is Rival Turf which is really a great looking game compared to the boring box art.

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']Are they running because he looks scary, waving around his sword?
Or is it because he has no pants on, and is waving around his sword?[/quote]
No he's scary because he looks more like a wonderman than wonderboy

[quote name='Puffa469']If you can find a pic of it, check out 'Takin it to the Hoop' for the TG16. Its a shot of a sweaty mans armpit.[/quote]

takin_hoop1.jpeg

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I'm not ashamed to admit that the PAL Mega Man 2 box art gave me nightmares once.[/QUOTE]
MegaMan2-PAL-BoxArt.jpg

May Wikipedia bring forth dark times again.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think the Phalanx box art is classic. did they reuse Uncle Jethro for the GBA re-release?[/quote]

Yeah, I don't get it.. I think Phalanx would be in my top boxart of all time list.

[quote name='Kayden']Megaman games are historically bad for boxwork.[/QUOTE]

hell, even the Anniversary Collection doesn't look so great.

megamananniversarycube.jpg

[quote name='SMMM']hell, even the Anniversary Collection doesn't look so great.

megamananniversarycube.jpg
[/quote]

At least the character looks like Mega Man, and not some retard with a gun, or what looks like a character from Silverhawks.

[quote name='iufoltzie']
MegaMan2-PAL-BoxArt.jpg

May Wikipedia bring forth dark times again.[/QUOTE]

Holy Cow, I just looked at the price tag, 44POUNDS? MM2 wasnt that good of a game.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Holy Cow, I just looked at the price tag, 44POUNDS? MM2 wasnt that good of a game.[/QUOTE]

what?? WHAT?! At the time, it was the shizNITE!! You looked at the screen and you saw Mega Man BLINK motherfucker. You know how HUGE that was back then??! DO YOU!?

btw, does anyone have the JPN boxarts for these Mega Man games?

[quote name='SMMM']what?? WHAT?! At the time, it was the shizNITE!! You looked at the screen and you saw Mega Man BLINK motherfucker. You know how HUGE that was back then??! DO YOU!?

btw, does anyone have the JPN boxarts for these Mega Man games?[/QUOTE]

It had a flying dragon robot as one of the last bosses!!!

i like phalanx's box art :), i had megaman 2 when i was younger, it was weird, i know captain capcom or something..he was in marvel vs capcom 2, was in the instruction manual somewhere

[quote name='greydemise']i like phalanx's box art :), i had megaman 2 when i was younger, it was weird, i know captain capcom or something..he was in marvel vs capcom 2, was in the instruction manual somewhere[/quote]
captain commando maybe?

[quote name='iufoltzie']
MegaMan2-PAL-BoxArt.jpg

May Wikipedia bring forth dark times again.[/QUOTE]

Good God. That's so much worse than Mega Man 1's art. It's so fucking terrible...

[quote name='Chacrana']Good God. That's so much worse than Mega Man 1's art. It's so fucking terrible...[/QUOTE]

I concur. It's all like "BRONSON PINCHOT: FUTURE WARRIOR!"

I've always considered the cover art of Suikoden to be one of the worst. I bought this game when it was originally released and can still vividly remember my mom and the guy working @ Buy-Rite discussing how horrible the art was. The characters depicted look nothing like anyone in the game.

[quote name='Fanboy']Sooooo.... a baby's head covered in graffiti screams "excellent puzzle game marketing concept" to you? What was it like working at Acclaim? Was it hard to get work done over the sound of people flushing away garbage bags full of money?[/quote]
I was the Creative Director for Acclaim. I'm responsible for that package.

Here's the story. We were doing the previous rev of the game. Needed art. I did a stock photo search for bubbles and the fat baby blowing the spit bubble popped up.

Let's back peddle a bit. I'm a slightly warped individual. I see nothing wrong with runnign through the building in Gold Mango shorts with a towel tied around my neck while making airplane sounds.

I mocked it up (sans shades) and of course it did not fly.

Couple of years go by and I've got a new baby daughter. I have a cool picture of her wearing my shades. :idea: (Shut up, all parents do it and so will you if you manage to find someone to marry your sorry ass and give you the gift of kids.)

Coincidently we are doing another BAM at the time. So I dig up the old shot, photochop the sunglasses onto it and put the screen shot reflection in.

I present it again and they say, "OK focus test it"

68% of the people love it. 11% HATE IT, they are repulsed. The rest are on the fence.

None of that matters.

100% of them say that if they saw it on the shelf they would have to pick it up to see what it's about.

That's what matters.

This was a game that we spent $0 marketing, nada, nothing, ziclh.

Store level interest was our only avenue.

So the goal was never to create a great box or even a bad box.

The goal was to create a box that would be noticed.

So whether you love it or hate it is irrelevent. it did its job, it got noticed.

[quote name='stomachmonkeys']So whether you love it or hate it is irrelevent. it did its job, it got noticed.[/quote]

If it did its job, Acclaim would still be in business. ;)

"Noticed" or "not noticed," it's still abysmal cover art.

[quote name='stomachmonkeys'](Shut up, all parents do it and so will you if you manage to find someone to marry your sorry ass and give you the gift of kids.)
[/quote]

Wow, with that kind of respect for the consumer, its no wonder why your company was so awesome. ;)

bread's done
Back