Would I hate an original Nintendo DS? Is this a good price?

TLFerrill

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
So I have not owned a handheld since my gameboy sp and was interested. I thought I wanted a psp but a friend offered me his original light blue ds with mariocart and brain academy for $55. Is this a good deal? how long would it be before I begin to wish it was one of the newer models? Could I get more than that on ebay if I decide I dont like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
they are all the same, they all play DS games, they all play GBA games, except for dsi and xl...im still rocking my original DS...i just look lame though =(

I'd say so. Mario Kart rarely goes on sale. I'm sure Brain Academy is an ok puzzle game. Depends on the condition of the DS though.

I still use my original DS, and even my original stylus, as I've somehow yet to lose it (*knocks on wood*) despite being notably bad with keeping pens & pencils around.

A few complaints about the system, and I can't really compare it to any of the other 3 different types of DS's out, because I haven't used any of them: When holding it in certain positions, when my arms are in any way extended, they get tired of the bulk much more quickly than I've ever noticed with other handheld systems before. Also, the screen brightness (or lack there of, rather) is terrible and unless I've just been a complete idiot for the past 5 years, there's no way to adjust it. My eyes have to strain pretty bad unless I'm playing in a dark setting.

Starting with the Lite, I heard they addressed the brightness issues so I am intrigued. Also, I'd love to see the XL in action to see exactly what the deal is with the supposed pixelation problem.

Thats a good deal in my opinion. If your friends copy of Mario Kart is mint your basically grabbing the DS for less then $20. I've never seen Mario Kart on sale and I believe a used copy still runs for almost $30. I'd say go for it.

I'd say it's not too bad of a deal, but after having played a friend's original DS when they first came out I really do prefer my DS Lite that I bought last year. I had a DSi pre-ordered and bought it, but returned it after I looked up info online about it not supporting GBA games.

This might help you decide.

GameStop TiVs:
DS Fat Model - $35 (5/26/10)
Lite Model - $40 (5/22/10)
Mario Kart - $20 (5/30/10)

I really disliked the original DS because the screens are so small and dark

DSi and DSi XL are the best.

I also like having DS Lite for GBA games, but the d-pad and buttons are crap compared to all the other DS models.

BASICALLY:
DS Original: GBA support, Good dpad and buttons, dark screens, small screens
DS Lite: GBA support, crappy dpad and buttons, bright screens, small screens
DSi: No GBA support =( , Good dpad and buttons, bright screens, medium size screens
DSi XL: No GBA support =( , Good dpad and buttons, bright screens, HUGE SCREENS!

I honestly recommend one of the DSi models, despite lack of GBA game support.

Keep your GBA SP around for GameBoy stuff. DSi and DSi XL are the best way to play DS games

I hate the feel of the original DS. It wasn't comfortable at all. The DS Lite was so far ahead of it. I've owned all four DS models, and I can recommend any of them except the original.

To be honest I love my original ds more then any of the others because it doesn't feel like its made out of cheap plastic. Just my 2 cents though.

My sister got the original DS when it was the only version and I think its an awkward to hold, goofy piece of shit. The stlyus is too small, the actual DS is too big and clunky. The screens are tiny and not as bright as a DSI or DS lite. Its really awkward for me to hold when playing a game like Metroid Prime Hunters, too. To me, it'd be worth buying a different DS version for more money.

It's a great deal if you just want to try a DS out and see what it's all about (if you like it, you WILL end up selling it for more, and putting the "profits" towards upgrading at some point for the brighter and larger screens).

It's a good deal if you end up hating it and throwing it on Ebay. You'll get your money back plus some.

Brain Age and Mario Kart are good "test" games. I would also personally recommend the Castlevania's, playing a few Gameboy games on it (the screen IS larger than SP if I remember correctly), Wario Ware Touched, New Super Mario Brothers, and maybe Advance Wars to cover a spectrum of gaming. The DS has some really sweet games that make intuitive use of the stylus and it's definitely worth a look.

My Original DS had hardware issues, screen problems, buttons sticking/not-working etc, but it might have just been a fluke.
You're basically buying a DS for $30. I really didn't care for my DS until I got a Lite, mostly because the original DS isn't all that portable and the screens are too dark.

Also, Don't buy hardware 2 weeks before E3. Especially with the 3DS rumors.

$55 for an original DS is... okay. The DS Lite has a much, much better screen, though, and used DS' can be pretty scratched-up. I'd say if every dollar counts, look on eBay first. And if you can scrape a little more together, buy a used DS Lite on eBay or Amazon---you'll like it more.

If anything buy the DS and flip it for a newer model. Gamestop is giving $60 for them right now.

If you can live without the GBA slot, the XL is friggin' awesome.

Aside from the top screen cracking off (which seems to happen to most DS models too) I loved mine. The buttons are ALOT better than the Lites, but I'd wait to see the 3DS.

bread's done
Back