Would I like MGS3: Substinence if I didn't like Snake Eater?

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
What I mean is that the main reason I didn't like Snake Eater was due to the horrible camera causing me to get caught by offscreen enemies, making it more of a game of trial and error than anything else. But the fact that Substinence is now the 4th highest rated game of all-time and the highest rated game of this generation at gamerankings is nothing to scoff at. (though then again, I didn't care at all for GTA: San Andreas despite its glowing reviews). A lot of critics have said that the new camera almost makes it like an entirely new game, but they're all people who liked the original to begin with. So is there anyone who didn't care for the original Snake Eater, but really liked the new version?

why don't you try reading a review, or even a summary of a review to see if they had any major comments on the game in question? I mean seriously, the camera was something that was discussed and possibly fixed in the game... you could try writing kojima if you don't see it in the review and complain

but why don't you go figure it out for yourself instead of asking people to do things that you could easily waste your own time figuring out yourself

It's the definition of a forum, Jennie, ya flamer. Maybe he values our opinions more than those in magazines.

If that was the main reason you didn't like Snake Eater, the camera should remedy that. And if you hate the new camera, you can at least toggle back and forth between the views in Subsistence, so maybe you could still use it when you weren't moving and could use it to your advantage. I have it but haven't played it yet, so I can't give more advice.

unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your pov) i never played snake eater, but im havin a blast with substience, cant imagine any stealth nut not liking this game.

The camera is completely fixed in this version. That alone is worth getting Subsistence for.

If you hated MGS3 for any other reason, your opinion will not change.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']What I mean is that the main reason I didn't like Snake Eater was due to the horrible camera causing me to get caught by offscreen enemies, making it more of a game of trial and error than anything else. But the fact that Substinence is now the 4th highest rated game of all-time and the highest rated game of this generation at gamerankings is nothing to scoff at. (though then again, I didn't care at all for GTA: San Andreas despite its glowing reviews). A lot of critics have said that the new camera almost makes it like an entirely new game, but they're all people who liked the original to begin with. So is there anyone who didn't care for the original Snake Eater, but really liked the new version?[/QUOTE]

Well I loved the original, but I did realize that the camera sucked and that made it a lesser game than the other MGS games for me... but the new camera really alleviated any complaints I had. While before the game simply felt broken during a LOT of the gameplay segments as a result of the camera, Subsistence feels great thanks to the fact that you can actually see what the hell's going on.

I hated the camera in Snake Eater also. I love Subsistence. However before you buy, you have to realize that the camera still isn't completely like splinter cell or other 3rdPS's. You still have to go into first person mode to get precision aiming. And a lot of the controls (button layout wise) are still kind of dubious eg holding down square to shoot.

The first time i tried playing Snake Eater, my two biggest complaints were the camera, and the fact that the whole eating/bandaging system was menu based and was really more of a hassle since it didnt add anything to the game.

Now that the camera's been fixed, I plan on trying it again. Hopefully I can just deal with the silly menus if the rest is that good.

I bought Snake Eater a while back and hated the camera system. Hated it so much that I didn't finish the 1st mission. I just couldn't get used to it.

Fast forward to now. Bought Subsistence and am loving every second of this game so far. I love the new camera system, but also I like the fact that you can switch between the old and new camera any time you want.

But as others have said, if you hated MGS 3 for any other reason, I don't think that would change for Subsistence.

And i hear if you beat it without being detected and using only the knife, Kojima comes and tucks you in at night.....

bread's done
Back