Would it be dumb to buy a PS3 and games now or wait for PS4?

arbailey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I apologize if this has been asked but like the title says I've been thinking about getting a PS3 (instead of X1 or PS4).  I recently traded in a ton of Xbox 360 games and DS games and have well over $500 in GS credit.  I still have a good sized 360 backlog (along with a decent 3DS backlog) but was thinking of all the PS3 games I never got to play.  I have 2 good gamer friends who have 360 AND PS3, I only have a 360.  One plays his PS3 and hates the 360, the other plays the 360 more than the PS3 but doesn't hate on either system.  I'm really on the fence about the next gen systems.  No way am I paying $500 for an X1, plus the uncertainty of what MS is doing.  And there are a lot of questions about Galakai.  So it got me thinking of sticking with this gen for a while.  I was not an early adopter of the 360 (waited 2 years) and planned to wait a bit on these next gen systems too.  I realized that I could pick up a PS3 slim bundle, a year of PSN+, a handful of PS3 collections, and an extra controller for what a next gen system will cost alone.  Being a 360 player exclusively, I'm asking my fellow CAGs if there are enough PS3 exclusives to warrant buying a PS3 this late and which games are must buys.  I've heard the Uncharted games are good, Resistance, Killzone, Infamous, God Of War, Motorstorm, Last Of Us, etc... Plus I just found out that PSN+ members get free games throughout the year, I never got anything for free on Live.  Just a thought.  Lastly, I see that GS sells Amazon gift cards.  Does anyone use their GS credit to buy Amazon cards to save on tax?  

Wait until Black Friday and you can probably find a bundle with a few games for $200. I'm not personally big on many PS3 exclusives, but I'd say the purchase is warranted for the Uncharted series alone.

if you waited this long to think about picking up a ps3. you might as well skip it, and jump the next gen, or play your xbox 360, until a price drop come for next gen consoles.

Seeing as the PS4 won't be backwards compatible, I think buying a PS3 would be the smart move.  That gives you access to a lot of great cheap games. It'll probably be a while before the PS4/X1 have a good library.

Seeing as the PS4 won't be backwards compatible, I think buying a PS3 would be the smart move. That gives you access to a lot of great cheap games. It'll probably be a while before the PS4/X1 have a good library.
my point was that if he really wanted to play those "exclusives" on ps3, he would not wait till now to consider buying it. Since he has a xbox 360, he obviously prefer the 360 exclusives over ps3 from the beginning, why jump ship now.

my point was that if he really wanted to play those "exclusives" on ps3, he would not wait till now to consider buying it. Since he has a xbox 360, he obviously prefer the 360 exclusives over ps3 from the beginning, why jump ship now.
That's not necessarily true.

I didn't get a PS3 until Jan 2012 when I ditched my 360 in frustration over my account getting hacked then banned (see my CAG blogs, MS eventually fixed their mistake and gave me another 360).

I just only had the 360 as I got it first and wasn't gaming enough to get a PS3 too. But now I play my PS3 more and overall like the PS3 exclusives a bit more than the MS ones--of which really only Gears and Halo appear to me. Granted, at the time I got the 360 stuff like Bioshock and Mass Effect was still exclusive--so it's more that good exclusives dwindled as the generation wound on. And shooters are a dime a dozen on both consoles. So I'm going with the PS4 first next gen for that and other reasons ($100 less, no camera shit forced in etc.).

So he/she could be in the same boat and just never got a PS3 because they didn't game enough to buy both. But now the 360 exclusives are pretty much done with, so maybe it's a good time to get a PS3 on the cheap and enjoy the Uncharted series, Last of Us, Infamous series, GoW series etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  The main reason I never got a PS3 was I became so engrossed with all the Xbox 360 games I never had time to play a PS3 too.  Now that the Xbox 360 exclusives are done I'm left with a small backlog of games that were available for both systems.  I keep hearing from my PS3 friends about how great the Uncharted series (and others) were and now The Last Of Us.  My hope is that somehow Sony will allow PS4 users to download some of these classics via Galakai but from what I'm reading that doesn't seem to be the case.  There just seems to be so many unknowns for 2 consoles that are coming to market in a few short months.  I guess for now I'll play my 360 backlog, see what BF brings as far as PS3 deals, and follow the developments of X1/PS4.

I say go ahead and pick up a PS3 now since the PS4 won't be backward compatible.

Get the PS4 if you plan on upgrading quickly.  You'll probably get sequels on the next gen fast for stuff like Uncharted, infamous, killzone, GoW series. (if they haven't already been announced).  Then you'll be up and running for the next gen goodies that come out.

Now if you're just looking to save $, and don't want to get into the next gen stuff for a year or two, then jump on the PS3 now.  That should hold you over.

Hope that helps!

My PS3 recently got the YLOD and I switched to Xbox 360 to play their exclusives.  I can honestly say, the Gears series, and Mass Effect 1 are the only things that appeal to me for MS exclusives. 

Get the PS4 if you plan on upgrading quickly. You'll probably get sequels on the next gen fast for stuff like Uncharted, infamous, killzone, GoW series. (if they haven't already been announced). Then you'll be up and running for the next gen goodies that come out.

Now if you're just looking to save $, and don't want to get into the next gen stuff for a year or two, then jump on the PS3 now. That should hold you over.

Hope that helps!

My PS3 recently got the YLOD and I switched to Xbox 360 to play their exclusives. I can honestly say, the Gears series, and Mass Effect 1 are the only things that appeal to me for MS exclusives.
There's a Killzone at launch on PS4, and an Infamous game coming first half of 2014. Other stuff hasn't been announced yet. Honestly, the launch line ups for X1 and PS4 are underwhelming. I have a PS4 preordered, but I may cancel as I still have easily 6 months to a year worth of PS3/360 backlog to tide me over.

ME1 is available on PS3 now, so that's not an exclusive any more (though it was for 5 years or so).

Gears and Halo are the only remaining MS exclusives I really enjoy. I liked Alan Wake, but that franchise seems dead. I had a 360 only for most of this gen, but in hindsight I'd been better off going PS3--just couldn't stomach the launch price etc. PS4 will likely be my only next gen machine.

My opinion is definitely get a PS3, as it seems you are more cost centered than playing new releases.  It's always cheaper to be a generation behind on gaming, it's where you'll see the best price point on used games and new consoles.

I personally want to get a PS3 to play catch up on the exclusives in the near future, though bias aside, it's a better economical move than being an early adopter to a launch console.  The only thing you will be truly missing out on is if you are interested in anything online multiplayer with the older titles, as that is when playing the backlog game hurts.

Buy a PS3 and pick up PS+. You should be good for at least a year. There is no need to spend another dime. If you like what the PS3 has to offer you can slowly start to pick up some of the older exclusives for about $10-$15. If not you can trade in you PS3 and upgrade to a PS4/X1 losing only a little bit of money.

Definitely agree with that.  I've probably got 10-15 things on the HD from having PS+ for a bit over a year.  And that's with deleting some crap the other day that I just new I'd never play (old games, genres I'm not big on) as I just had to whittle the backlog down some.

It's a rare month that there isn't at least 1 or 2 PS+ freebies that interest me.

I'll still probably keep my PS4 preorder as I'd like to try to keep up with AAA releases and not build a backlog next gen.  But I'll keep my PS3 since PS+ will work for both and that will give me a ton to play between first year or two droughts between PS4 AAA games.

My opinion is definitely get a PS3, as it seems you are more cost centered than playing new releases. It's always cheaper to be a generation behind on gaming, it's where you'll see the best price point on used games and new consoles.
This, right here. This is the sweet spot for picking up games on the cheap. The first few years of a new console cycle is the best time to pick up games from the previous cycle. It's too early for those games to have benefited from rarity or nostalgia, but too late for them to be considered new. A careful shopper can pick up all sorts of great bargains during a time like this.

The PS3 also has a very large and robust library, with plenty of exclusives as well as decent multi-platform support. The PS4 is going to be expensive, and the lack of backwards compatibility will severely limit game selection for the first few years. Pick up a PS3 now and you can enjoy a bounty of cheap, easily accessible games while you wait for prices to drop on the PS4.

I picked up a lot of titles for the PS1, GameCube, PS2, PSP, and XBox when their successors were on the way. A transition year like this is a gold mine for bargain shoppers and collectors.

Go with the PS3 and don't touch a PS4. I have the feeling a lot of things like the Dualshock 3, XMB, the endless updating and sluggish PSN Store will be hard to stomach, once you played around with the PS4. Getting a PS3 for Demon's Soul alone is totally worth it!

We got a PS3 late in the game. It took a bit of getting use to, coming from a 360, and in some ways it still feels clunky compared to the 360, but then again there are no "dashboard ads", so there's that. There's plenty of good exclusives for the PS3. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one if you have a 360, and you'll probably be able to get a bundle for that price (or maybe even less) come Black Friday, so I'd hold out until then if you can.

If you like Pinball Arcade, you are WAY better off investing in it on the PS3 vs the 360. 360 isn't Indie friendly and PA is one of the prime examples of where that hurts. Farsight can't publish new tables for the 360 because their publisher went bankrupt and, unlike Sony, Microsoft requires Indies to have a publisher - Indies can't "self publish" on Microsoft consoles (same is true of the X1, at least that is the case so far). So it's stuck in limbo. For me, that alone is reason enough to have a PS3 (and now a Vita).

Why not just wait until the PS4 launches to pick up a PS3? There's not many reasons to pay full price for the system and games now when they'll have big price cuts in six months.

bread's done
Back