Would this be a good HDTV to buy?

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm not too bright in math but how does 10% off from $999 make $800?[/QUOTE]

999 * .10 = 99.9

999. - 99.9 = 899.1

This is the same TV they had on Black Friday for the same price. I was torn between this one and the 50" Sony they had for $1080.00. I went with the Sony, but my brother-in-law picked up the Panasonic and could not be happier. His 360 looks great on it and so does his HD Cable Box, even SD channels dont look that bad. The only drawback that I did not like was the only one HDMI port, and thats why I went with the Sony which had two. But for $899.99 after the coupon this TV is a steal and if I could convince my wife I would so pick this up for our bedroom.

I can't even find out where you could enter the coupon, I went through the checkout like 3 times and did not see a place to enter codes. Anyone not as dumb as me?

[quote name='eshbums']999 * .10 = 99.9

999. - 99.9 = 899.1[/QUOTE]
Yes. The OP in his original Unedited post had 800 instead of 900. He changed it right after I posted :)

[quote name='Cow_tipper']Are projection TV's near as good as LCD's and Plasmas?[/quote]

Projection TV's are LCD's. o_0

For the price, it's got everything you need. I personally prefer flat-panel LCD's to projection LCDs... but based on the specs and Panasonic's reputation, this should be a pretty good choice.

[quote name='advancedgamer468']Projection TV's are LCD's. o_0[/QUOTE]

Actaully Projection TV's can be Old Standard Project, DLP, or HD-ILA. LCD Projection is one of the many types of projection.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Actaully Projection TV's can be Old Standard Project, DLP, or HD-ILA. LCD Projection is one of the many types of projection.[/quote]

And flat panel LCD's are a lot more common than projection LCD's.

[quote name='nasum']It's only 720p, I would hold off until you find a 1080p set that is is in your price range.[/quote]fuck that shit. You won't find a 52" 1080p TV for sub $1000 for a long time yet. Buy it, this TV rocks.

Bah, wait for a flat panel. 1080p is alot nicer than 720. You have a better viewing angle with falt panel than projection.

Search "1080p hype" on google.

That TV looks pretty damn nice. But you should go to a store and take a look at it. Two people can look at the same TV and one will love it, while the other would hate it.

[quote name='the3rdkey']any hdtv without 1080P is not worth your time now.[/quote]

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Did someone hit you in the head when you had your helmet off?

[quote name='the3rdkey']any hdtv without 1080P is not worth your time now.[/quote]

Funny. You're only going to see a difference if you get a 42/50" and higher.

You can't even tell the difference on small to mid sized TVs.

Le t me reiterate - Buy the TV. (Okay maybe that wasnt reiterating).

What the TV companies don't want you to know is that there are no broadcasts or digital media formats (including HDDVD and Bluray) that support 1080p.

Buying a 1080p TV at this point may certainly help to "future proof" you, but if you pick up the Panasonic set for $900 now, you can always use the $800 you save (versus comparable 1080p sets) in the future when you upgrade.

I am biased.. I own this TV, but that should only reinforce my advice. I can't believe I got in on this deal during Black Friday, and now that it's available again, GO FOR IT. You won't regret it.

I'd like to know exactly how HD-DVD and Blu-Ray don't support 1080p? Just about every BD player out there does 1080p and the Toshiba HD-AX2 will do it when it hits shelves (if it hasn't already). And both formats are encoded at 1080p/24 IIRC. Personally I agree that 1080p is nothing but a marketing gimmick and not something to concern youself with right now, but let's not make up things.

Yo, if I purchase that TV on the CC website and choose in-store pick-up, will they do a monthly payment plan or something like that? That TV is extremely tempting but I only have $600 in my pocket right now.

[quote name='Malice']Yo, if I purchase that TV on the CC website and choose in-store pick-up, will they do a monthly payment plan or something like that? That TV is extremely tempting but I only have $600 in my pocket right now.[/QUOTE]

Well if you qualify for credit you can do 24 months no interest finacing right now, but there is no layaway plans or anything like that available.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Le t me reiterate - Buy the TV. (Okay maybe that wasnt reiterating).

What the TV companies don't want you to know is that there are no broadcasts or digital media formats (including HDDVD and Bluray) that support 1080p.
[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? Blu-ray supports 1080p.

Get it.. Awsome price and its a good TV and don't buy into the 1080p hype its the most overused marketing buzzword since undercoating .

Whats your budget, if 1000 dollars in all your allowed spend than its not a bad deal. Personally I didnt like the fact that in any projection TV, you will have to change the bulb in every 6 months to 2/3 years depending on the quality of the replacement bulb. If you buy a service plan for like 300 dollars on it, they will replace the bulbs for free, but my brother in law has a DLP and the color wheel broke, and he had a bulb break in 2 weeks. He had the circuit city protection plan, but it took them 1 whole month to get the thing repaired, which is a nightmare if you only have one TV.

Personally I love my samsung 46 inch 1080p LCD TV which you can buy online for about 2500, although I payed a little under 3000 because I bought from circuit city. I like that is supposed to last for 15 years and there is nothing I will need to replace. Lots of slots, TV looks awesome, I could gush on and on.

Bluray and HDDVD can play in 1080p, but all TV signals are broadcasted in 720p or 1080i. I think 1080i is superior to 720p in my opinion and therefore that would be another downside of this TV seeing how it only has a 720p resolution and would have to down convert the 1080i signal to 720p. Networks that broadcast in 1080i to name a few- CBS, NBC, Discovery HD, and Food Network HD.

Lastly check the stuff out in the back, does it work good for your setup? If you have a wii and xbox360, you are going to need at least two component inputs. My satellite TV and upconverting DVD player use HDMI, I have two slots so Im good, but some TV only have one HDMI input so thats another thing to consider. Also remember that while you may not have a HDDVD or bluray now you might have one in two or three years and need an extra slot. Im hoping the HDDVD / Bluray combo players will prosper and then I can buy one and that will replace my upconverting DVD player.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Le t me reiterate - Buy the TV. (Okay maybe that wasnt reiterating).

Buying a 1080p TV at this point may certainly help to "future proof" you, but if you pick up the Panasonic set for $900 now, you can always use the $800 you save (versus comparable 1080p sets) in the future when you upgrade.

I am biased.. I own this TV, but that should only reinforce my advice. I can't believe I got in on this deal during Black Friday, and now that it's available again, GO FOR IT. You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]
What kind of stand do you have for it? I'm looking for a cheap one.

I don't think waiting for 1080p is worth your time, though you should look at 1080p and 720p next to each other and see if you can tell a difference, and if that difference is worth a premium. For a projection screen, this is a good deal at $900. By year end, 50" plasmas will only just be dipping below $2k. Projection screens always are cheaper up front, though - check for bulb life and cost.

bread's done
Back