Would you train your 6 year old for Ultimate Fighting?

Xevious

CAGiversary!
One person did....

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7959842?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

The changes were evident on a recent evening in southwest Missouri, where a team of several young boys and one girl grappled on gym mats in a converted garage.

Two members of the group called the "Garage Boys Fight Crew" touched their thin martial-arts gloves in a flash of sportsmanship before beginning a relentless exchange of sucker punches, body blows and swift kicks.
No blood was shed. And both competitors wore protective gear. But the bout reflected the decidedly younger face of ultimate fighting. The trend alarms medical experts and sports officials who worry that young bodies can't withstand the pounding.

Tommy Bloomer, father of two of the "Garage Boys," doesn't understand the fuss.
"We're not training them for dog fighting," said Bloomer, a 34-year-old construction contractor. "As a parent, I'd much rather have my kids here learning how to defend themselves and getting positive reinforcement than out on the streets."

Bloomer said the sport has evolved since the no-holds-barred days by adding weight classes to better match opponents and banning moves such as strikes to the back of the neck and head, groin kicking and head butting.
Missouri appears to be the only state in the nation that explicitly allows the youth fights. In many states, it is a misdemeanor for children to participate. A few states have no regulations.

Supporters of the sport acknowledge that allowing fights between kids sounds brutal at first. But they insist the competitions have plenty of safety rules.

"It looks violent until you realize this teaches discipline. One of the first rules they learn is that this is not for aggressive behavior outside (the ring)," said Larry Swinehart, a Joplin police officer and father of two boys and the lone girl in the garage group.

The sport, which is also known as mixed martial arts or cage fighting, has already spread far beyond cable television. Last month, CBS became the first of the Big Four television networks to announce a deal to broadcast primetime fights. The fights have attracted such a wide audience, they are threatening to surpass boxing as the nation's most popular pugilistic sport.

Hand-to-hand combat is also popping up on the big screen. The film "Never Back Down," described as "The Karate Kid" for the YouTube generation, has taken in almost $17 million in two weeks at the box office. Another current mixed martial arts movie, "Flash Point," an import from Hong Kong, is in limited release.

Bloomer said the fights are no more dangerous or violent than youth wrestling. He watched as his sons, 11-year-old Skyler and 8-year-old Gage, locked arms and legs and wrestled to the ground with other kids in the garage in Carthage, about 135 miles south of Kansas City.

The 11 boys and one girl on the team range from 6 to 14 years old and are trained by Rudy Lindsey, a youth wrestling coach and a professional mixed martial arts heavyweight.

"The kids learn respect and how to defend themselves. It's no more dangerous than any other sport and probably less so than some," Lindsey said.

Lindsey said the children wear protective headgear, shin guards, groin protection and martial-arts gloves. They fight quick, two-minute bouts. Rules also prohibit any elbow blows and blows to the head when an opponent is on the ground.

"If they get in trouble or get bad grades, I'll hear about it and they can't come to training," he added.
In most states, mixed martial arts is overseen by boxing commissions. In Missouri, the Office of Athletics regulates the professional fights but not the amateur events, which include the youth bouts. For amateurs, the regulation is done by sanctioning bodies that have to register with the athletics office.

foxsports_print_banner.jpg
printer.jpg
click to print this page
MMA or Little League? Ultimate fighting attracts kids

Associated Press

Updated: March 27, 2008, 2:26 PM EST
Ultimate fighting was once the sole domain of burly men who beat each other bloody in anything-goes brawls on pay-per-view TV.But the sport often derided as "human cockfighting" is branching out.

The bare-knuckle fights are now attracting competitors as young as 6 whose parents treat the sport as casually as wrestling, Little League or soccer.
MMA for Minors

7960234_36_1.jpg
Photos: See the kids in action
Check out our MMA coverage
Message board: Is MMA for kids?

"It looks violent until you realize this teaches discipline. One of the first rules they learn is that this is not for aggressive behavior outside (the ring)."

Larry Swinehart, police officer and father of two boys and one girl participating The rules are different in Oklahoma, where unauthorized fights are generally a misdemeanor offense. The penalty is a maximum 30 days in jail and a fine up to $1,000.

Joe Miller, administrator of the Oklahoma Professional Boxing Commission, said youth fights are banned in his state, and he wants it to stay that way.

"There's too much potential for damage to growing joints," he said.

Miller said mixed martial arts uses a lot of arm and leg twisting to force opponents into submission. Those moves, he said, pressure joints in a way not found in sanctioned sports like youth boxing or wrestling.

But Nathan Orand, a martial arts trainer from Tulsa, Okla., said kids are capable of avoiding injuries, especially with watchful referees in the rings. He thinks the sport is bound to grow.

"I can see their point because when you say 'cage fighting,' that right there just sounds like kids shouldn't be doing it," Orand said.

"But you still have all the respect that regular martial arts teach you. And it's really the only true way for youth to be able to defend themselves."

Back in the Carthage garage, Bloomer said parents shouldn't worry about kids becoming aggressive from learning mixed martial arts. He said his older son was picked on by bullies at school repeatedly last year but never fought them, instead reporting the problem to his teachers.

And fighters including his 8-year-old son get along once a bout is over, Bloomer said.
"When they get out of the cage, they go back and play video games together. It doesn't matter who won and who lost. They're still little buddies."

Read this article at:
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7959842/MMA-or-Little-League?-Ultimate-fighting-attracts-kids

© 2008 Fox Sports Interactive

Sure, why not. It's a better way to get exercise than little league baseball, where all most kids do is stand in the outfield while eating boogers and swatting at flies.

I was teaching Caitlyn how to throw a punch yesterday.

She kept hitting me with the joints on the joints on her index and middle finger.

I explained to her that she needs to strike with the knuckles, not the joints.

Then, I told her that she is not to throw a punch at anybody unless they are hitting her first.

This summer, she'll start her martial arts training.

In a few years, her younger brother will join her.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I was teaching Caitlyn how to throw a punch yesterday.

She kept hitting me with the joints on the joints on her index and middle finger.

I explained to her that she needs to strike with the knuckles, not the joints.

Then, I told her that she is not to throw a punch at anybody unless they are hitting her first.

This summer, she'll start her martial arts training.

In a few years, her younger brother will join her.[/QUOTE]

This =/= Martial Arts. Chances are, your kids will never actually hit someone in class.

I don't have any issue with people teaching their kids the grappling elements of MMA. None at all.

I don't think it's wise to put your kids in a spot where they're going to get hurt - at the same time that I realize it's an inevitable conclusion that stems from teaching this to their children.

I watched 12 year olds boxing last year in a gym. That made me uncomfortable.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I watched 12 year olds boxing last year in a gym. That made me uncomfortable.[/quote]

I got this feeling while reading the article.

It's a funny feeling isn't it? You can't quite put your finger on what exactly it is that is bothering you, nor is there anything overtly "wrong" about it, but it just doesn't feel right.

I try not to ignore that.

I really would not have a problem with my kids fighting in a controlled environment like that, me and my brother used to kick the shit out of each other on a bi-weekly basis.

So anyhoo what is acceptable time for a kid to learn how to box? 13? 14? Should it be 18 or 21?

[quote name='Msut77']I really would not have a problem with my kids fighting in a controlled environment like that, me and my brother used to kick the shit out of each other on a bi-weekly basis.

So anyhoo what is acceptable time for a kid to learn how to box? 13? 14? Should it be 18 or 21?[/QUOTE]

That's the problem, though. I'm not foolish enough to say "they should wait until 18," because kids kick the shit out of each other on a daily basis as is, and if they want to "go pro," they have to learn early. We don't require that other athletes have to wait to train - and even then, in the event it were required, kids and parents would just train more privately (and perhaps dangerously).

I'd say between 6 and 8 is acceptable to begin learning wrestling and martial arts. Teach them the technique for a few years, and bring the full contact in several years later, around 10 or 12.

I don't have a problem with any of this: I think it's very wrong to me personally, and watching those children box made me ill. But it wasn't wrong on some grand scale. It just isn't for me. I also see these things as a necessary, if undesirable, side effect of allowing people to raise their children freely.

Hell, I'm more opposed to the idea of homeschool than I am this. That doesn't mean it doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Though, in the end, I would imagine that MMA training is a great deal like boxing or martial arts: when it comes time to spar, you pile on the bright red Century/Everlast pads, like some sort of Nerf Knight. I studied Tae Kwon Do as a kid (I know, I know), and we wore pads when we sparred.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's the problem, though. I'm not foolish enough to say "they should wait until 18," because kids kick the shit out of each other on a daily basis as is, and if they want to "go pro," they have to learn early. We don't require that other athletes have to wait to train - and even then, in the event it were required, kids and parents would just train more privately (and perhaps dangerously).

I'd say between 6 and 8 is acceptable to begin learning wrestling and martial arts. Teach them the technique for a few years, and bring the full contact in several years later, around 10 or 12.

I don't have a problem with any of this: I think it's very wrong to me personally, and watching those children box made me ill. But it wasn't wrong on some grand scale. It just isn't for me. I also see these things as a necessary, if undesirable, side effect of allowing people to raise their children freely.

Hell, I'm more opposed to the idea of homeschool than I am this. That doesn't mean it doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Though, in the end, I would imagine that MMA training is a great deal like boxing or martial arts: when it comes time to spar, you pile on the bright red Century/Everlast pads, like some sort of Nerf Knight. I studied Tae Kwon Do as a kid (I know, I know), and we wore pads when we sparred.[/QUOTE]

Well put. I wouldn't limit anybody else's desire to do this, but MMA is pretty different from traditional martial arts in that it's -- by design -- full-contact. It's one thing to pad the heck out of your kids and let them work off some energy bopping each other on the face-guard. It's another to teach your kid that a front guillotine is a good way to sub an opponent. It's also primarily a sport, so I'm really unsure how much emphasis, beyond lip-service, they give to the less immediately fight-applicable elements, like disciplined and proper use of technique (as in, "never outside class"). I just can't shake the feeling that at that age, kids are still a bit sketchy on the repercussions of their actions, and this seems like a sort of dubious outlet for children who, just a few years ago, would have been big fans of "fantasy" fighting, like the WWE.

I guess in the end, my concern is with what's being taught and how, not that it's being taught at all. Under the proper supervision, it should be fine.

Police officers teaching their kids the ways of mortal combat at a young age..

Is anyone surprised?

Right or wrong i'm willing to bet they use training dummies painted in black face... i kid, i kid (but not really)

Honestly, 6 is too young. I dunno what age to start things like this, but I don't see how that is really any different than having a 6 year old girl in a beauty pageant. They're both pretty weird. I feel the same way about any kind of competitive sport at that age though, so it's not specific to this, although this would obviously encourage more violence than some other sports.

[quote name='mykevermin']This =/= Martial Arts. Chances are, your kids will never actually hit someone in class.

I don't have any issue with people teaching their kids the grappling elements of MMA. None at all.

I don't think it's wise to put your kids in a spot where they're going to get hurt - at the same time that I realize it's an inevitable conclusion that stems from teaching this to their children.

I watched 12 year olds boxing last year in a gym. That made me uncomfortable.[/quote]

Martial arts is knowing how to attack and, more importantly, when to attack.

I've soured on the idea of children competitively fighting to the point of knockout.

I can see the value of demonstrating the effectiveness of a tactic against a type of opponent, but pushing kids to do well at injuring somebody is pointless.

The 12 year olds boxing made you uncomfortable because the children will not gain anything from the activity. At best, they're risking brain and body damage over something shiny. It is generally understood that fighters in their 20s and 30s can't do any better than be on the receiving end of punishment to earn a living.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Kids get hurt playing soccer, little league baseball, anything really. And if 12 year old kids boxing makes you uncomfortable, you probably shouldn't take any trips to Thailand. 8 year old kids who can kick a grown mans head off with a muay thai kick. :hot:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Kids get hurt playing soccer, little league baseball, anything really. And if 12 year old kids boxing makes you uncomfortable, you probably shouldn't take any trips to Thailand. 8 year old kids who can kick a grown mans head off with a muay thai kick. :hot:[/QUOTE]

Good points, particularly about the Muay Thai, though to be fair, I think most Americans would reject the overall safety standards in most of South East Asia.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Kids get hurt playing soccer, little league baseball, anything really.[/QUOTE]

Those are typically called "accidents." Now, while they may happen and be excused as "this is the risk you take," it's at the same time a mostly unanticipated consequence. In the case of MMA training, it's inevitable.

Again, I think it's wrong strictly as my opinion; that said, it's unfair to compare a contact sport where the goal is to render your opponent unconscious or wound them enough to submit to sports where that is not the goal.

[quote name='mykevermin']Those are typically called "accidents." Now, while they may happen and be excused as "this is the risk you take," it's at the same time a mostly unanticipated consequence. In the case of MMA training, it's inevitable.

Again, I think it's wrong strictly as my opinion; that said, it's unfair to compare a contact sport where the goal is to render your opponent unconscious or wound them enough to submit to sports where that is not the goal.[/QUOTE]

Although Football was not mentioned it is very popular and a collision sport (contact is a bit too mild)
I played in Highschool and I started later than most of my team mates. Many had problems from playing sports all their lives and even non contact sports can lead to problems like Osgood-Schlatters.

One could also say wrestling is a sport with an inevitable rate of injury. But I can see where you're coming from. I personally don't have a problem with it. Then again, I don't have a problem with a lot of things. I let my roommates Couch Bomb.

I would.

I would also pump my kid full of beaver tanqulizers.

His name would also be Frederick von Ibanloquiz.

i don't want my child fighting anybody inside steel cages trying to put another man on the ground so he can rub himself against him and put him in gay positions.

would i allow them to train? YEP! You need to know how to defend yourself. But that's it. Defense only. They would know only ways to make someone tap out

Sounds like "dad" watched "300" and said "hell yeah" I want my kid to be a spartan. You know some kid is gonna take it to far and really hurt someone. Then we all get to quote Danny Glover..."I guess we have to register you as a lethal weapon" I still hate that line.

bread's done
Back