WoW: Cataclysm $17.99 FS @ Buy.com

gantt

CAGiversary!
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Pack (PC)
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING
Buy.com price: $17.99

Critical reviews look great; reviews on Amazon look awful.

Would this expansion be recommended for players just starting WoW? I read the entire game has been revamped to make the new player experience better, but the reviews don't clearly explain which changes were part of the free update that preceeded Cataclysm, and which require Cataclysm.

Old WoW players think it's too easy, too casual, but I thought it was a decent expansion. If you're on the fence, that's not a bad price to pick it up at. But of course the monthly cost is the real expense.

If you are just starting out, you don't need Cataclysm, unless you want to play as a Goblin or Worgen. The revamp of the old world is free for everyone. You can go to level 60 on Vanilla WoW, 70 in the Burning Crusade, 80 in Wrath of the Lich King and 85 with Cataclysm.

If you're planning on playing for more than a month or two, you'll definitely want Cataclysm as it adds quite a bit of content for high level players (arguably not nearly as much as the earlier expansions did though). If you're just getting into the game and aren't sure if you'd want to play it long term, you're probably better starting a trial and then picking up the Battle Chest to get a feel for the game (the trial will give you 10 days of playtime and then adding a full account will give you an additional 30 days on top of that without restrictions).

You know, I just got back into WoW after many years (before BC came out). I told myself I wouldn't buy Cata unless I hit Level 80 and still wanted more.

But this deal is just too good to pass up since I got the previous expansions for not that much cheaper just 5 months ago. Thanks OP!

bread's done
Back