Wow, didn't see that...(360 Cable observation)

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The old 2007 Pro I had has an Optical output, but the 2010 Arcade I bought doesn't. WTF? How cheap, MS.

Anybody else notice this? I didn't 'till I tried to play Alan Wake with my headset.

I'm pretty sure it's only on the component cables. Are you using the composite now? That's all that comes with the arcades. The optical has never been an actual part of the system. Just the cable and only the component one at that.

Yeah, it's only been on the component cables.. it was never integrated into the older models.

are you sure there's no optical audio port? I thought both models of the slim had it built in now.

/edit: It does, look closer. It's even in the XBox Product Description on xbox.com. It's right next to the HDMI port.. the square looking one.

xbox_360_250gb_4.jpg

As others have said.. I am pretty sure that none of the Xbox 360's pre-slim had an integrated optical output port.. To get one on the old consoles you have to have either the HD component cables or the Audio thing that comes with the official HDMI cable.

The non-slim console didn't have an optical output, so it was included on the cable. When the consoles went to HDMI, the MS "HDMI kit" had a slimmer dongle that came with the optical out port, plus a HDMI cable. The MS component cable didn't clear the HDMI port correctly, so you had to shave off the plastic from the cable to get the optical cable to be an option.

Slim console, as shown above, has it integrated into the chassis. Good pic to show it, Scorch.

Regardless, you only need it if your AV receiver doesn't support HDMI for audio, and these days, it's cheap enough to get a low-end AV receiver that does. One less cable to run.

bread's done
Back