Wow, Ebay is flooded with DS bootlegs

I have a couple of questions.

I recently ordered Dragon Quest V off Amazon, but it wasn't from Amazon, themselves. It was fulfilled by Amazon, though, and could be added to cart from the product's page. The wholesaler was NYC Electronics or something. Am I guaranteed to get a legit copy if I order from an Amazon 3rd party if it is "Fulfilled by Amazon" and more specifically is NYC Electronics a reputable retailer?

Second, I do not currently own a DSi, just a Lite. What is it about the DSi that counters bootleg titles?

Thanks.

I just thought of something.

What is stopping people from buying legit games on ebay from sellers who usually don't sell lots of games and then return a bootleg copy? Yes, its easier to spot bootlegs on some games more than others, but its another scary thought of the already over-pirated scene

I have a couple of questions.

I recently ordered Dragon Quest V off Amazon, but it wasn't from Amazon, themselves. It was fulfilled by Amazon, though, and could be added to cart from the product's page. The wholesaler was NYC Electronics or something. Am I guaranteed to get a legit copy if I order from an Amazon 3rd party if it is "Fulfilled by Amazon" and more specifically is NYC Electronics a reputable retailer?

Second, I do not currently own a DSi, just a Lite. What is it about the DSi that counters bootleg titles?

Thanks.

[quote name='62t']DSi has new protection that prevent bootleg from working[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']saetia I bought a couple pc games from NYC electronics fulfilled by amazon. It was legit.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Oh man, I never even thought about bootlegs. What I hate about eBay is that they don't care about counterfeit goods, because they make their revenue from seller fees. Buyers get screwed all the time.

So, how can you even tell if you don't have a DSi and it's cart only? I've bought a few games used from GS and was planning on some from third-party sellers on Amazon...

[quote name='Dranakin']So, how can you even tell if you don't have a DSi and it's cart only? I've bought a few games used from GS and was planning on some from third-party sellers on Amazon...[/QUOTE]

There are certain aspects of the cartridge that will be different if it's a bootleg. I'm not that savvy on that sort of thing, myself. I only buy games that are complete, with the original case and manual. It's exceedingly important as I have a DSi, and I intend to get the 3DS at some point, which will certainly have more piracy protection.

I actually bought a few bootlegs on accident awhile back and was pretty pissed about it. Funny thing is that I just threatened to report the people and ended up getting full refunds including my shipping, and since I didnt have a DSi it was kind of like getting a free game.

The saddest thing about this is im scared to even buy games off of ebay anymore, at least for the DS. Even if I see something is shipping out of the US if I dont see it say it works on the DSI im scared it might be a bootleg.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The saddest thing about this is im scared to even buy games off of ebay anymore, at least for the DS. Even if I see something is shipping out of the US if I dont see it say it works on the DSI im scared it might be a bootleg.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hardly buy GBA or DS off of Ebay for those same reasons.

I get my used GBA carts from Gamestop, and I always check the carts out thoroughly, including busting out my keychain LED light to check inside the cart for the Nintendo logo on the circuitboard.

I've gotten some weird looks from GS employees for doing that, but what do I care what some dumbass clerk thinks?

[quote name='Puffa469']Yeah I hardly buy GBA or DS off of Ebay for those same reasons.

I get my used GBA carts from Gamestop, and I always check the carts out thoroughly, including busting out my keychain LED light to check inside the cart for the Nintendo logo on the circuitboard.

I've gotten some weird looks from GS employees for doing that, but what do I care what some dumbass clerk thinks?[/QUOTE]

Seeing how easily their making pirated games that look near perfect is making me a little nervous on buying retro games too and the future of retro game prices. I mean if people can create near perfect replicas of a DS or GBA game including case and manual, how hard do you suppose it would be to do the same of something retro thats worth big bucks like Lufia 2 or Suikoden 2. I would imagine it cant be that much more difficult!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Seeing how easily their making pirated games that look near perfect is making me a little nervous on buying retro games too and the future of retro game prices. I mean if people can create near perfect replicas of a DS or GBA game including case and manual, how hard do you suppose it would be to do the same of something retro thats worth big bucks like Lufia 2 or Suikoden 2. I would imagine it cant be that much more difficult![/QUOTE]

The can replicate NES or SNES cart but it is so expensive that it is usually done for unreleased games.

They won't be able to burn PS1 or PS2 games that will work on an unmodded system.

Most of the DS and GBA bootleg are in poor quality. You can tell right away the case and manual is fake.

I was going to start a thread like this a few weeks ago. This really gets on my last nerve. I'm a frequent seller of games on eBay and this hurts my business. I can't compete with people selling DS games for 1/4 the retail price. I try to report violators/bootleggers to eBay, but they just spring right back up!

One time I even emailed Nintendo and Rockstar to inform them of the massive amounts of bootleg Chinatown Wars copies on Ebay, but got no response from either.

Please, if you come across a bootleg DS game (most likely shipped from Asia, will say not compatible with the DSi) REPORT IT. Ebay has made reporting listing violations easier. All you have to do is click the "Report Item" link and then choose "counterfeit..." etc. It only takes a few seconds.

Thanks!

[quote name='Law_Professor']I was going to start a thread like this a few weeks ago. This really gets on my last nerve. I'm a frequent seller of games on eBay and this hurts my business. I can't compete with people selling DS games for 1/4 the retail price. I try to report violators/bootleggers to eBay, but they just spring right back up!

One time I even emailed Nintendo and Rockstar to inform them of the massive amounts of bootleg Chinatown Wars copies on Ebay, but got no response from either.

Please, if you come across a bootleg DS game (most likely shipped from Asia, will say not compatible with the DSi) REPORT IT. Ebay has made reporting listing violations easier. All you have to do is click the "Report Item" link and then choose "counterfeit..." etc. It only takes a few seconds.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I always report them when I see them. I was trying to win a copy of Profesor Layton today as well as Bowsers Inside Story and both had crap tons of bootlegs. Think I reported about 13 people today....

I'd say ebay is no better or no worse than Amazon marketplace.

I remember I bought both Super Mario World Advance games from a seller on Amazon marketplace, both had a complete box and manual, both fake.

I e-mailed the guy letting him know, I sent the games back and he refunded me my money.

Buyer beware pretty much every where now for GBA/DS games if there's a 3rd party seller involved...

Honestly, I don't think ebay is the worst offender. Try ioffer.com. LOADED with obvious bootlegs and fakes. There are sellers that list pre-loaded flash carts for cryin' out loud.

bread's done
Back