WOW! Equilibrium was an awesome movie!

bignick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just started a 1 month trial to netflix, and I saw a link to it. I said wtf, why not. I just watched it, and it was one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

It starts off slow, but once it gets going, it doesnt stop. There are some great action scenes. Go watch this movie now!

I love this movie. I love the mix of Farenheit 451, Brave New World, 1984, and Hong Kong action. That and Christian Bale. And the guy who plays Robert the Bruce in Braveheart.

[quote name='Xevious']I remember the critics panning it when it came out. Maybe I'll give it a chance.[/quote]

Go for it.

It was a pretty good movie but the story just wasn't believable enough for me and the fight scenes were too exagerated (even more so than the Matrix).

[quote name='basketkase543']It was a pretty good movie but the story just wasn't believable enough for me and the fight scenes were too exagerated (even more so than the Matrix).[/quote]

I dunno how you come to that conclusion, they didn't even use wires in the film. And IMO somebody fighting off hundreds of identical looking foes at once is much more absurd and exaggerated that anything seen in this film.

[quote name='zoopie'][quote name='Rich']Gun fu is awesome. The cat scene is amazing.[/quote]

LOL! It's Gun Kata and it's a dog :cool:[/quote]

Huh?

Yes, it is a very good movie. Extremely underrated! Christian Bale's performance was incredible. Keanu just can't hold a candle.

[quote name='Rich'][quote name='zoopie'][quote name='Rich']Gun fu is awesome. The cat scene is amazing.[/quote]

Huh?[/quote]

The fighting style was referred to as "Gun Kata" in the film, not Gun Fu. And that scene in EC-10 (the junkyard) was with a puppy, not a cat :D Please excuse my analness, as I am a big fan of this movie

I saw this in the theatres and I loved it. I bought the DVD right away when it came out. I lent the movie out to my friends and everyone of them who saw loved and wondered why they never heard of the movie. Stupid miramax marketing that's why. The director of the movie is an action junkie and he made an action movie for action fans. Definitely check it out. And for those who haven't seen it yet, also check out Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior if you like martial art flicks. The actor in that movie, Tony Jaa, could seriously be the next Jackie Chan.

Hmm, I've been meaning to check out this movie for a while now.

I just got done watching "Leon: The Professional" for the first time and I was blown away! Such an amazing movie!

I love pretty much all of Luc Besson's (the director/screenwriter) stuff and this is no exception. If ya'll like this movie too, you should definitely check out "Wasabi". More Jean Reno gun-related craziness, and he plays DDR! :D

[quote name='zoopie'][quote name='Rich'][quote name='zoopie'][quote name='Rich']Gun fu is awesome. The cat scene is amazing.[/quote]

Huh?[/quote]

The fighting style was referred to as "Gun Kata" in the film, not Gun Fu. And that scene in EC-10 (the junkyard) was with a puppy, not a cat :D Please excuse my analness, as I am a big fan of this movie[/quote]

I don't remember such petty details. :lol:
I haven't seen the movie in a while, but me and some other guys have always referred to it as gun fu. Oh well, regardless, it was awesome.

It's the reason Bale is Batman now. I started a thread a while ago something similar to this.

I really really was blown away by the movie. I got really wrecked one night and watched it again....lol. So far I have seen it about 10 times..love it every time.

This movie IS BELIEVABLE. That's why it is so good. Sure the action may be over the top but that's the fun. The story is incredibly well thought out with zero holes in the plot (unlike matrix).

This is the best B movie to come out in years..since reservoir dogs.

This is a great movie. :D

I hadn't heard that Bale is going to be the next Batman. That should be really interesting. I can't wait!

I hated this movie, all of the fights involve Bale spinning around in a fucking circle. How hard can it be to hit a man standing in place spinning in a circle?

Also, for being an emotionless society, way too much emotion was shown by the characters in the film (fear, pride, etc..)

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']IMO somebody fighting off hundreds of identical looking foes at once is much more absurd and exaggerated that anything seen in this film.[/quote]

The scene near the end before Bale reaches Robert the Bruce and Taye Diggs is this exactly, one guy vs. a heavily-armed small army of identical masked guards. The only thing more anti-climactic than this was the actual showdown between Bale and Diggs and finally Bale and Robert the Bruce.

It's still a decent film, but certainly not the pinnacle of cinematic excellence that some are making it out to be. This film needed more real characters, less faceless goons and more variety to the action and locales. If Halo and P.N. 03 were guilty of repeating nondescript scenery, this film deserves much the same conviction.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']IMO somebody fighting off hundreds of identical looking foes at once is much more absurd and exaggerated that anything seen in this film.[/quote]

The scene near the end before Bale reaches Robert the Bruce and Taye Diggs is this exactly, one guy vs. a heavily-armed small army of identical masked guards. The only thing more anti-climactic than this was the actual showdown between Bale and Diggs and finally Bale and Robert the Bruce.

It's still a decent film, but certainly not the pinnacle of cinematic excellence that some are making it out to be. This film needed more real characters, less faceless goons and more variety to the action and locales. If Halo and P.N. 03 were guilty of repeating nondescript scenery, this film deserves much the same conviction.[/quote]

He fights like 50 people or so at the end, not hundreds (though overall the film had an absurdly high body count). Also they are uniformed soldiers on a police force. Granted the masks are kinda goofy, but if you walk into an army barracks or police station you're likely to see many people dressed in the same uniform. His character is designed to be a one man army and it comes of like it's intended. I could see where some find the final showdown as anti-climatic but that's a matter of opinion.

Your other arguments are totally revleant to the film's content and budget. For one a emotionless society is going to have a very plain, drab looking world. I think the film did that. Plus they had a pretty small budget especially for an action film, I'm pretty sure even Halo and PN 03 themselves had bigger budgets. They worked well with what they had. Nobody expects cinematic excellence, that's reserved for hollywood big budget films and epics. But I was suprised to find it a very well done and entertaining B-movie (which is what it was meant to be more or less) and the cinematography was well done for such a film IMO.

This was certainly a B movie with a low budget.

If you compare it to any B movies it's not notch all the way. Compared to say high end production and not so much...but this movie is EXCELLENT for what it was.

[quote name='defender']...but this movie is EXCELLENT for what it was.[/quote]

I think alot of people miss that with alot of movies. A movie is what it is.

It won't change your life, but I thought that it was surprisingly enjoyable for a B-movie.

Definately a fun "get-the-guys-together-and-drink-while-MST3King-it" kind of film.

Besides, its probably what got Bale his role in Batman. Considering what an underrated actor he is, I'm glad that he finally got a break to do something big.

I watched the first 15 minutes of this movie a couple of monthe ago and thought it really sucked ass.

I think I'll give it another go based on some opinions here

bread's done
Back