Wow, rugby is insane.

Clak

CAGiversary!
I've never really sat down and watched a rugby game, but this shit is crazy. It's like the NFL without all the rules or pads. They get away with stuff that would never fly in the NFL, I've seen players picked up and tossed just so someone could get at the ball. Makes american football look like a kid's game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8v-qZFVYnc

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a single one of those guys makes more than six figures in an american salary for playing the sport either. Well, I would assume at least. NFL is a bunch of pussies. At least the NHL still has some real men left in the league.
also, they tend to twist each other's sacks in the scrums...

[quote name='nasum']real men left in the league.
also, they tend to twist each other's sacks in the scrums...[/QUOTE]

I think your definition of "real men" differs greatly from mine. I think you are thinking of a real man's man. Real men do not twist another mans sacks.

You ain't know rugby was brutal? Do yourself a favor and find a women's rugby game. UVA women's rugby changed my view of women forever.

I love Rugby. I wish it held people's interest a lot more than American Football.

OOOH HE GRABBED HIS FACEMASK, OH SHIT TRIPPED HIM! DAMN PASS INTERFERENCE!?!? ZOMG.

Whatever. Bitch ass calls. Bunch of guys that build up their fat bodies so they don't make good use of them.

[quote name='sonicsam']I love Rugby. I wish it held people's interest a lot more than American Football.

OOOH HE GRABBED HIS FACEMASK, OH SHIT TRIPPED HIM! DAMN PASS INTERFERENCE!?!? ZOMG.

Whatever. Bitch ass calls. Bunch of guys that build up their fat bodies so they don't make good use of them.[/QUOTE]

Rugby is a crazy sport. With most of the action being close together, there is a lot of cheap shots. For that reason alone, it has never kept my interest.

As for Football... Football players are way more stronger, faster, and bigger than players from other sports. When they go for tackles they hit way harder than Rugby. The NCAA and NFL have implemented rules in order to protect players. Below are two vicious hits from this past season in both college and the pros.

Meet one Greg Reid, a 176lb pure muscle cornerback from Florida State University. This lick gave a 1200 yard rusher Marcus Lattimore a severe concussion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1IGweDXSY
This hit left Desean Jackson and Dunta Robinson both out with concussions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwAhWlfF3NM

Lastly, Fat Bodies?!? Really?? This was Ernie Sims, a typical linebacker in the NFL, when he was in college.
sims7pv.jpg

This is another old classic debate. Its really apples to oranges.

Football players although strong outright have an entirely different set variables than another sports. Lordpuss your examples really have no value because you are weighing them in on how injured the player gets from them. I can hit you in the head the right way with a wiffle ball bat and give you a concussion. CroCop can kick you in the head and its lights out. Bruce Lee could fingertip tab you and break a bone.

The real question is not who hits harder but to look at why they hit harder. You could argue that the only reason NFL players can hit hard is because they have less fear being covered from head to toe in pads and helmets. Where as a Rugby player has nothing and thus risk a lot more when going in for a hit.

Also to claim that they are "way faster and bigger" is just a American Fanboy response to the sport and is completely relative and to say such a thing only proves that you either A) Like football the most or B) Dont sports outside of America.

Tiger Woods can bench 300 plus pounds. Thierry Henry and Obafemi martins are two of the fastest and quickest Soccer players in the world and they do it WHILE controlling a ball at their feet (Which is much harder than holding something in your hand) Andy Roddick can serve a tennis ball at 155 mph. And most of them would be considered 3rd or 4th rate athelets at the Olympics. As none of them come close to any world records of any kind.

Saying, their fastest and stronger in a way that implies that they are somehow better athletes is laughable. Its all relative.

And lets not forget that the average NFL play is 6 seconds. Anyone remember this for the Wall Street Journal where it states that an NFL game only has 11 total minutes of action? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

All those breaks that NFL players get during the course of a game is one of the reason why you can really never count them in anything. No other sport than Baseball allows players to stand around as much as football.

[quote name='Soodmeg']This is another old classic debate. Its really apples to oranges.[/quote]

Yes it is. Look to the quote I was referring to see why I talked about football.

Lordpuss your examples really have no value because you are weighing them in on how injured the player gets from them. I can hit you in the head the right way with a wiffle ball bat and give you a concussion. CroCop can kick you in the head and its lights out. Bruce Lee could fingertip tab you and break a bone.

A Hockey player could take their stick and slash someone but there is a rule for that too. For normal play, yes football is dangerous due to concussions from these athletes.

The real question is not who hits harder but to look at why they hit harder. You could argue that the only reason NFL players can hit hard is because they have less fear being covered from head to toe in pads and helmets. Where as a Rugby player has nothing and thus risk a lot more when going in for a hit.

Yes you can argue that but at the same time the majority of a rugby match is close quarters the risk of the hit isn't as hard. Also, those same pads for football can be used as a weapon. Most of the concussions nowadays are from a helmet to helmet hit.

Also to claim that they are "way faster and bigger" is just a American Fanboy response to the sport and is completely relative and to say such a thing only proves that you either A) Like football the most or B) Dont sports outside of America.

You sure pick me out :roll: PS Basketball is my favorite sport.

Saying, their fastest and stronger in a way that implies that they are somehow better athletes is laughable. Its all relative.

Now you're just trying to put words into my mouth. I never stated they were any less of athletes. They are skilled at their sports respectively. When it comes to body builds in other sports, you don't have the same parity. Does that make you feel better...

And lets not forget that the average NFL play is 6 seconds. Anyone remember this for the Wall Street Journal where it states that an NFL game only has 11 total minutes of action? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

All those breaks that NFL players get during the course of a game is one of the reason why you can really never count them in anything. No other sport than Baseball allows players to stand around as much as football.

Golf, Gymnastics, Cricket, Wrestling, heck pretty much most events at the Olympics both summer and winter games, action sports... Does that make them any less of sports... ;)

You have to admit, the potential for injury is a lot more with rugby than in the NFL. Rugby players aren't exactly small themselves, these guys are still pro athletes, they just don't turn out gigantic linebackers because they don't need to run someone over like a train. Imagine some 6 foot 200+ pound guy running straight into you without any protection. The chance of eye and face injuries is especially bad.

[quote name='vrblknch']You ain't know rugby was brutal? Do yourself a favor and find a women's rugby game. UVA women's rugby changed my view of women forever.[/QUOTE]

Those women are not playing for the same team.

bread's done
Back