Wow sometimes I hate video games...Tomb Raider

Blaster man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I bought Tome Raider Trilogy last year at the Square Enix sale for $10.  Well I finally got around to playing it.  I've worked my way through to the last area and there's a set of jumps you have to do that I've spent about 3 hours trying to do.  It's made me so angry that I've decided to quit and sell the game without trying the other two at all. 

Sometimes I absolutely hate video games.  The developers seem like sadistic assholes.  I play games to relax and have fun.  Most of the game is puzzle solving with a little bit of annoying jumps.  Then at the end you're expected to be an expert of this bullshit.  Well I'm sorry but I'm not the best gamer out there and I don't have the luxury of playing games 24/7.  I've got kids and a job and don't have time to play a game that makes me want to break my controller in half.

Meanwhile I also finished "The Unfinished Swan" and that game was fantastic though they had a similar but much easier to do part at the end of it that was fucking annoying also.  It was completely out of character with the rest of the game.

I find myself looking at the games I have and selling almost all of them and only keeping a few that I know I'll like.  I'm sure there's some elitest folks out there that will tell me to "just quit gaming" but honestly, not every game enrages me with nearly impossible bullshit.  Saint's Row 3 was fun...I'm starting to regret buying a bunch of digital games during the 4th of July sale (for PS3 and Xbox 360) because I have a feeling I'm going to give up on some of them.  Earlier this month I gave up on Metal Gear Solid 1 and sold my collection as well. 

I have no patience for difficult trial and error games.  I want to relax and have fun.  Is that so wrong?  It seems like the develevers think it is.  I hope Watch Dogs isn't like this since that's the only game I'm buying for PS4.

New strategy, google the games before buying them.  If people complain they're too hard then I'm not buying them.  As such I'm selling my Jak and Daxter Collection without ever starting it.  I read Jak 2 is really hard so I'm getting rid of it.

Lol. What a casual. Maybe you should look into getting Wii Sports and Wii Music. Sounds like those are perfect for you.

Lol. What a casual. Maybe you should look into getting Wii Sports and Wii Music. Sounds like those are perfect for you.
Hahaha jokes aside maybe I've become more of a casual gamer though certainly not to the level you're referring considering I'm posting here. I just like easy and fun games. I've only got so much time to play between work, the wife, the kids, and everything else like taking care of the yard, the house, etc that I simply don't have time to play games that piss me off and I see no reason to be pissed off. I'm already stressed out enough as is.

You should try Ninja Gaiden 2 for 360. It's right up your alley.
BOUGHT IT! THANKS!

Super Meat Boy is one of the easiest and most relaxing games I have ever played.  Go ahead and pick that up.  If you can't get that, then you can settle for Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

Super Meat Boy is one of the easiest and most relaxing games I have ever played. Go ahead and pick that up. If you can't get that, then you can settle for Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.
You'd probably be amazed at the list of games I've quit because they were too hard for me. In the last year or two along there's probably been 30 of them. That really helps me burn through the backlog though.

There's some games I quit for other reasons. For example, Dungeon Siege 3, I was playing the fire girl because I thought she seemed cool. Well holy shit after playing a couple of hours I turned it off because her voice acting was so bad...so flat that it was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit games like The Last of Us a lot because I'm like "why do I even have a controller? This is pretty much a movie"
Don't think I ever quit a game because of cut scenes but sometimes they piss me off if you watch one for 5 minutes then get control back to take 3 or 4 steps and another 5 minute cut scene happens. Just fucking show it all and don't give control back, it's frustrating!

Speaking of quitting games, I quit Castlevania Lords of Shadow because it was too hard for me and because the camera made the game unplayable for me. Double whammy on that one.

Are the killzone and Resistance Trilogy games easy or hard? Never played any of them.

About to start Valkryia Chronicles on the easiest setting, hope its not too hard.

dont sell jak 2 because its hard (its not), sell jak 2 because its a shitty game.

resistance and killzone can be easy if you play on easy. youre practically a bullet sponge.

Are the killzone and Resistance Trilogy games easy or hard? Never played any of them.

About to start Valkryia Chronicles on the easiest setting, hope its not too hard.
The Killzones aren't hard at all... but Killzone 1 was never that good and it'll feel really outdated now, and you'll probably just want to quit it anyway.

VC is an amazing game. But being that it's an SRPG, you could struggle with it even on an easy setting. Don't be afraid to use a guide.

I think the guy was just venting a bit. I know where your coming from, I usually rent games before I buy. I know it's possible on consoles but maybe start gaming on a PC for the sole use of the widely available trainers. Just a suggestion. Yes, it's cheating but in a single player game, who cares?

I'm much like you. I read reviews and impressions and avoid hard games like the plague. I've never been a hardcore gamer and have never been into extra hard games.

I play games to veg out and relax, and challenge just gets in the way of that by frustrating me and getting my blood pressure boiling. I get plenty of challenges from a pretty stressful career, running etc. so my hobby time is for nothing but relaxing.

Been playing a ton of Animal Crossing. Frustration free, probably most relaxing game I've ever played. Also loved The Last of Us as I like exploring worlds and great stories and characters are hugely important to me. TLoU was great on those fronts and never got too frustrating on normal. Movies and books are my other main hobbies, so I love games that feel like an interactive movie.

I have no qualms dropping difficulty either. Always play games like Oblivion, Skyrim etc. with the difficulty down so I can just enjoy the exploration and questing without getting around at combat or having to assess over equipment, crafting things etc.

Shooters I tend to play on normal always as most aren't very difficult these days. Other genres, no hesitation to drop difficulty if I'm getting frustrated but still want to finish the game.

Gamings all about having fun. So the key is just finding the types of games you can have fun playing and not worry what others think about it.

There is nothing better than that "fuck yeah!" moment in gaming when you beat that level/boss that has been plaguing you forever. So I have to disagree with this thread in its entirety.

Obviously you guys haven't played games like RE: 2 on PS1 and had Super Tyrant rape your ass for months and then one day you just win. One of the best and memorable moments of my gaming life. Difficulty adds to the sense of pleasure. Sure you get those moments of rage where you have to set the game down and not play for a while, but then you come back to it and accomplish something that was seemingly impossible, and it just makes it all better.

That's just different stokes for different folks.

I don't have a fuck yeah moment of satisfaction when I finally beat a tough boss or section of a game. I have a "thanking fucking god that's over and I never have to play it again" moment of relief. And that's not any more enjoyable than the suffering through it was. But I do see how some enjoy a challenge and get a sense of satisfaction out of it.

I get the fuck yeah moments when I accomplish things in my career or set a new best time on a run etc. Gaming I don't enjoy for those reasons. Like movies and books it's just to veg out and escape reality for a while.

Phew, I thought this was going to be about the most recent Tomb Raider! That game was great. I wouldn't say to go play hard games or on a hard difficulty but it sounds like you somewhat lack patience. I can see frustration breaking the fun factor but I'd hate to miss out on an amazing game like Metal Gear Solid because I gave up after a hard section. I feel like gaming is a push and pull.

dont sell jak 2 because its hard (its not), sell jak 2 because its a shitty game.

resistance and killzone can be easy if you play on easy. youre practically a bullet sponge.
This; holy hats the Jak games feel super dated. There is a reason it is on the cheaper side for trilogy sets on PS3.

Just to satisfy my curiousity BM, what console did you originally start to play games on when you were growing up?  I'm genuinely curious.

Can't answer for him, but for myself I started gaming seriously with the NES.

I had a lot more patience for hard games as a kid, probably up to college (which was end if N64/PS1 era into last gen). Beat some hard games I'd never touch these days like Battletoads. Once stress levels went up and free time shrank, namely in grad school and especially beyond, patience for hard games eroded.

It it's not fun and relaxing, it's not getting my precious free time. And with limited time it's not just the frustration but also that its a waste if time to end up spending a whole play session trying to get last a hard boss or whatever. That's both bad for my stress, blood pressure, acid reflux etc. and also wasting time as I'm bit making progress and thus not making a dent in my backlog.

Next gen the latter won't be an issue as I'm not going to build a backlo and only buy games when I can start playing through them as soon as I get them.

New strategy, google the games before buying them. If people complain they're too hard then I'm not buying them. As such I'm selling my Jak and Daxter Collection without ever starting it. I read Jak 2 is really hard so I'm getting rid of it.
I'll take it off your hands. Shoot me a PM.

For the most part I don't like super hard games, but there are exceptions. I love Spelunky. A big part of that is that while it is super hard I find I want to just jump right back in after I die because I'm not stuck doing the same level over and over. The levels are randomly generated. It's the games that are hard and make you play the exact same thing over and over and over again that I want nothing to do with.

The Tomb Raider trilogy is great! I've played through Underworld and most of Anniversary, but had to take a break so that I could actually play Demons Souls. The TR games didn't seem hard at all to me, but the exploring and platforming is classic. 

The Tomb Raider trilogy is great! I've played through Underworld and most of Anniversary, but had to take a break so that I could actually play Demons Souls. The TR games didn't seem hard at all to me, but the exploring and platforming is classic.
You like Demon Souls so I really doubt you can understand where I and dmaul are coming from. The truth is, I liked Anniversary but the very end made me rage quit...it's not fun and it pissed me off after failing to do it for about 3 or 4 hours straight...I already sold the game on eBay and shipped it off.

You like Demon Souls so I really doubt you can understand where I and dmaul are coming from. The truth is, I liked Anniversary but the very end made me rage quit...it's not fun and it pissed me off after failing to do it for about 3 or 4 hours straight...I already sold the game on eBay and shipped it off.
Did you try any of the other games before selling it? In all fairness, Anniversary is easily the oldest and least polished of the bunch...

Did you try any of the other games before selling it? In all fairness, Anniversary is easily the oldest and least polished of the bunch...
No. That's the problem with a multipack. If I don't like the game I'm not going to play the rest because it tarnishes the image of the series for me. That said, I'll give the new Tomb Raider a try when I can pick it up for $10 and if it's got annoying shit that I can't do after hours of trying I'll never buy a game in the series again. I liked the Uncharted games and while they had some hard jumping stuff (the first especially), it never got to the level of annoyance as that Tomb Raider game. To put it another way, I was either going to sell that game or beat the shit out of it with my sledge hammer and since I'm a CAG I wanted my money back.

FYI: Anniversary isn't the oldest, it's a total remake (in the image) of the first game using the Legend engine. Legend is the oldest.

FYI: Anniversary isn't the oldest, it's a total remake (in the image) of the first game using the Legend engine. Legend is the oldest.
Yes I'm aware, it's a remake of the very first title and it doesn't look or play nearly as good as the other games (although it seemed solid enough, I've only played a few hours), especially Underworld. Darn shame you didn't give either of the other two the time of day, although it's probably for the better because I remember there being at least a couple of challenging points in Legend (I played it on the original Xbox, I haven't replayed it in the trilogy yet) and certainly Underworld.

Yes I'm aware, it's a remake of the very first title and it doesn't look or play nearly as good as the other games (although it seemed solid enough, I've only played a few hours), especially Underworld. Darn shame you didn't give either of the other two the time of day, although it's probably for the better because I remember there being at least a couple of challenging points in Legend (I played it on the original Xbox, I haven't replayed it in the trilogy yet) and certainly Underworld.
I don't feel compelled to try every game if I don't think I'll like it. I'll certainly give the new Tomb Raider a try once it hits $10. I think it's supposed to be easier.

Is Far Cry 3 hard? I'm thinking about picking that up this year, hopefully for $10.

My wife played this and hit a bug in Legend fighting a boss near the end where it becomes invincible. You can't progress unless you have an earlier save, which she didn't.

Atari 2600.
Same as me, so your used to playing harder titles.

But I agree, depending on how much I want to play something or if I just want to breeze through it I'll throw it on casual/easy and play through, backlogs too big and not enough time to play everything. And cheap design is just that, used for lame difficulty spike because they couldn't find anything to make the game more challenging yet fair. Also see the rise of autosaving in games now days. I personally would like to be able to save anywhere I want (I'm looking at you Bioshock Infinite)

There's a huge difference between "this game was designed to be challenging" and "this game is/suddenly became impossible because the developers sucked it up".  Demon's/Dark Souls, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, etc. are the former; more games than I can count are the latter.

For my personal example, Halo Reach on Legendary solo was a complete BLAST to play despite my frequent deaths because the AI was so well done; I never felt cheated when I lost and every encounter was different/exciting.  Halo 4's Legendary campaign skirmishes are tough for me to get through because of how fucking terrible the level design/asset placement is.  The enemies are only challenging because they do a shitload of damage to Chief and soak up more ammunition than you can find; the AI is the most dumbed down the series has ever had.  It's challenging, but it's not fun in the least, which is what Blaster man was getting at.  Nothing is worse than getting into the groove of a game and having a developer put up a pair of double guns and force multiple save reloads.

Atari 2600.
Me too!! Ahhh... the good old days of pure kid-anger and frustration because there were no check points. lol

I'm with you though. If a game is too difficult then, for me, it takes all the fun out of it. I'm there to relax and be entertained, not shown how inept I am because I can't make a series of jumps, or kill a boss.

Luckily, the last game that challenged me was the Gears 1 final boss. Did manage to beat him after about 20-30 tries. I stuck with it because I liked the game a lot. I sold Warhammer Space Marines, because I died waaay too much and I got stuck on one part.

It happens. You're on the right track though. Research the game.

The new Tomb Raider is nothing like the old ones. That game is awesome!

Far Cry 3 is good. There are, I think, two missions that rely heavily on sneak. I managed to get past them after a couple of tries, but it may be difficult for some. I personally don't like sneak, or timed missions. Oh, I think there were a couple of timed missions too.

bread's done
Back