Wow, that $20 HDMI cable really IS just as good as the $100 one

PKRipp3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
sweet...Monoprice FTW!!!

When I was in Best Buy a few days ago I couldn't find an HDMI cable that was less than $50. When I picked up my PS3 from EBGameStop I was offered a $70 cable. I started to despair; I'd be fine with my component cables for a while if it was going to cost me that much to upgrade into HDMI. Heck, the system can use PS2 component cables, and they had those on sale for $15. Cabling is something of a racket, and while there probably is a difference between the medium-quality cables and the Monster Cables that cost $100+, I'm guessing none of us have systems that will let us tell enough of a difference to make the price worth it.

I tracked down my HDMI cables at Meijer, of all places. They were stuck underneath the display and weren't badged PS3, so I did a price check. $20, Nyko brand. I brought them home, hooked the system up, and it looked great. That freed up a component input as well, so I was able to hook up my Wii component cables. Those cost me $20 at Best Buy, off-brand. They also looked great. Let's look at a few choices in terms of HDMI cabling solutions:

GameStop brand: $70
Monoprice: $18.93
Sony brand: $50-$100
MonsterCable: $100
Nyko brand at Best Buy: $60
RCA at Meijer: $50
That Nyko cable again: $26

Nyko one more time: $25
From the Apple Store: $19

I don't think the GameStop branded cable is $20 better than Sony's cable. This pricing is all over the place, and it's clear that the only difference is how much each retailer wants to mark up their cables. You can save $35 or so just by avoiding Best Buy and getting your Nyko cable online! I couldn't find the listing for the Nyko brand online through Meijer, so they may have realized they can make more money by not offering them, or by marking them up in-store. Look for the red HDMI cable and ask for a price check. It couldn't hurt.

The price differences between cables that are essentially the same can be incredible. $100 one place, $30 someplace else, and $20 online. The fact is many places like Best Buy only carry a few brands and jack the price up. It's worth spending the afternoon shopping around for your cables. Best Buy had expensive HDMI cables but cheap Wii component cables. Meijer didn't have Wii component at all but they had a $20 HDMI cable. Don't get fooled into thinking that just because you're paying more you'll see a better picture, or it isn't worth your time to check around.

If you're still skeptical, keep your receipts. Buy the $100 HDMI cable at the Sony Store and then a $20 Monoprice cable, and try them both. See if you can see $80 worth of difference. If you don't, take one back. The price difference will buy you a new game, and it's worth proving to yourself that the lower-priced cables are just as good. I'd also like to point out that while putting this story together, multiple Ars staffers have mentioned Monoprice. I haven't bought from them myself, so I can't give you first-hand knowledge, but they seem to have a good reputation. Happy hunting!

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/19/7116

[quote name='klwillis45']You still wasted money and bought the more expensive series. Right here is your CAG goodness. You can go even cheaper if a 1.5 footer will work for ya.[/QUOTE]

I got the 6 footer of this same cable for $7 and change and my PS3 looks fantastic on the big screen. Monoprice does rule and so do their cables.

All of the component cables hooking my 360, Xbox and Tivo into my HDTV are from Monoprice, and they've all looked good and sounded good. When I need HDMI cables & optical cables, I'm going to get them from Monoprice.

If I need something custom or something that Monoprice won't have, I'm likely to go to Blue Jeans Cable. I'll look into Parts Express as a second source with Monoprice, as well.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']If you purchase your cables from anywhere than monoprice, you are getting ripped off.[/QUOTE]
after reading this article/comparison.. i gotta agree

also makes me wonder how long places can keep charging so much for them.

dang!

[quote name='PKRipp3r']after reading this article/comparison.. i gotta agree

dang![/quote]

ignorance from consumers.

Anybody order one of the HDMI switchboxes they sell? They're pretty cheap but I'm wondering how they are. My one HDMI input isn't cutting it anymore.

They are often sold out of the switches so I am thinking they must be ok.

Like this one here

Thanks for any advice

If anyone is interested in getting the "higher end" name brand cables, you can snag open-box cables from Ebay for a fraction of the retail cost. All of my current cables were bought this way and they arrived in like-new condition.

Monster cables are the biggest scam when it comes to digital cabling. HDMI is a digital signal, it's either on or it's off, there's no in between like with analog cables. Whether your HDMI costs $5 or $100 you'll get the same quality.

I have a friend that works at Best Buy, he priced an HDMI to DVI cable for me, it cost $99 in the store, he could buy it for $33.

Just a reminder, that the HDMI spec by definition means a good enough cable is as good as a "monster" variant. HDMI cables are required to have a certain atenuation across their distance, meaning the signal is strong enough to be read at the recieving end without any degredation in the digital signal. So any cable sold, unless you buy a black market one someplace, will meet the HDMI spec for its length.

Bottom line, not only does there appear to be no difference, by design there should be no difference.

Good deal on the find, BTW.

Digital means 1s and 0s. They're either being communicated or not. Cables are Best Buy's biggest rip-off endeavor. When I bought my car stereo they tried to sell me a $20 3.5 mm cable to connect my iPod to it. Oiy!

I'd give Monoprice the Cheapy Award for Online retailer if I could. But I can't, so I won't.

Didn't I read a story though about Sony voiding the warranties of PS3's if you DIDN'T use Official Sony branded cables?

Just so you guys know, Monoprice is a wholesale vendor.

So a lot of those $100 cables are just Monoprice cables in a different color.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']after reading this article/comparison.. i gotta agree

dang![/quote]

my friend talks about his Monster Cable HDMI cable like he lost his virginity to it.

bread's done
Back