WTF!!! Bayer sells medicine laced with HIV!?! FDA knew and covers up. [from the 80s]

Before everyone panics and throws away all their aspirin,
it should be noted that this happened in the 80s, before HIV was completely understood, and that it was a specialized medicine for hemophilia.

If you want to go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole, check out the movie The Constant Gardener.

EDIT

I just noticed this google ad on this topic:
80% Success AIDS HIV
Remarkable tea has been almost 80% effective against AIDS and HIV.

fucking tea that cures fucking AIDS!?!? Marketing has reached a new low.

[quote name='chakan']
fucking tea that cures fucking AIDS!?!? Marketing has reached a new low.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't their a movie with two friends (young boys) one was sick with cancer, and the other kept going down to the forest and kept trying to find him a cure. He would cut a plant, and make it into tea. He did all of this because, he saw a newspaper ad saying some dude found the cure for cancer.

Anyway its extremely fucked up it happened. I've known about it for a while, and I could type up 10 pages on my thoughts but I'll leave it as that it was fucked up.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah, this is an old story. Terrible story, but no reason to be panicked today.[/QUOTE]

wubb your avatar is sooo sad.

I have avs & sigs turned off these days so I can't see him myself! :lol:

But he's just sad because he has to read everything I post. I think he'd rather be one of those Emperor Penguins freezing his ass off to protect an egg.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah, this is an old story. Terrible story, but no reason to be panicked today.[/QUOTE]

I won't lie, I kind of panicked seeing the title and reading the OP.

[quote name='Roufuss']I won't lie, I kind of panicked seeing the title and reading the OP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, until you realize this happened decades ago and the stuff was never distributed in the US (IIRC) it can have you crapping your pants for sure. Updated the title.

I'm not going to spend time watching a video when text would have been fine. What's the gist of it? I thought HIV was spectacularly fragile outside the warm gooiness of a human body. How'd Bayer keep it alive in medicine long enough to infect people.

Yeah sorry to scare everyone with an old story but i kept finding information in stages and the last thing i found was the actually news article. Plus I was only alive for 5 years in the 80's (born in 85) which is why i dont know about it.

But damn.....thats is truely fucked up. I didnt now pills could be laced with HIV.

If you had a basic understanding about HIV, you would quickly realize how preposterous the idea that a drug could be "laced" with HIV really is. As jmcc mentions, it's an extremely fragile virus that dies almost immediately outside a human host. That's why, unlike a cold virus, you can't contract HIV from casual contact.

bread's done
Back