WTF? DVD Gift Sets

rebenns

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I noticed a rather unfortunate trend in DVD sets. For sets that also have the DVDs for sale individually, such as Lord of the Rings, or TV sets like Seinfeld and Sopranos, buying them bundled together costs the same, or, in some cases, MORE, than buying them individually. It used to be the opposite - buying them in a set used to cost less than buying them individually. What happened?

[quote name='rebenns']I noticed a rather unfortunate trend in DVD sets. For sets that also have the DVDs for sale individually, such as Lord of the Rings, or TV sets like Seinfeld and Sopranos, buying them bundled together costs the same, or, in some cases, MORE, than buying them individually. It used to be the opposite - buying them in a set used to cost less than buying them individually. What happened?[/quote]

hmm, maybe studios think the rise of calculators has dimished the ability of the consumer to add 3 numbers in their head and then compare that number to a bigger number? :whistle2:k

Yes but remember normally with the box sets they call it a special edition and include a small amount of extra garbage like deleted scenes they suck and cast interviews and art that I at least never look at.

I think that some people just like buying everything together. I have a friend thats like that. He hasn't bought the LotR EE yet because he wants to buy them all at once. He almost didn't buy the Star Wars DVDs that came out a few months ago because he wants to buy a box set with all six episodes.

Don't forget the box sets usually come with a nifty box! Um, yeah, a box to hold all together... that's why.

a while ago i saw a dvd three pack with "waiting for guffman", "best in show", and "a mighty wind" all packaged together for about $60. there was nothing extra, just the three movies all wrapped in the same plastic. buying the dvds seperately would have cost roughly $45, which makes a lot of sense.

i know i'd be willing to pay an extra $15 to avoid the hassle of having to find all three movies alphabetically.

well the seinfeld box set comes with a lot of extras, such as Collectible playing cards 'Monk's Diner' salt and pepper shakers Limited edition original script with handwritten notes by Larry David. Though to some that aint much

[quote name='Kaijufan']I think that some people just like buying everything together. I have a friend thats like that. He hasn't bought the LotR EE yet because he wants to buy them all at once. He almost didn't buy the Star Wars DVDs that came out a few months ago because he wants to buy a box set with all six episodes.[/quote]

I have held off and will continue to hold off buying the LOTR EEs because I've heard that they were making a complete boxset after Jackson is done with King Kong. Of course, who knows?

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='Kaijufan']I think that some people just like buying everything together. I have a friend thats like that. He hasn't bought the LotR EE yet because he wants to buy them all at once. He almost didn't buy the Star Wars DVDs that came out a few months ago because he wants to buy a box set with all six episodes.[/quote]

I have held off and will continue to hold off buying the LOTR EEs because I've heard that they were making a complete boxset after Jackson is done with King Kong. Of course, who knows?[/quote]

Here's the EE 3 pk: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=40699210&loc=322&sp=1

bread's done
Back