WTF is wrong w/ my Internet!

Eastsidecracker

CAGiversary!
Ok, this will probably be a lot of venting, with some cries for help. But, if anyone has a fix or recommends something, thanks for the help.

I fucking hate comcast. Yeah the connections get high, but then low, high, low, that is, if theres a connection at all. SO basically, my connection keeps dropping, but coming back soon after. Not that bad, can do basic internet functions. But when I want to play fucking games, its good connection, then I lag (bluescreen in halo, at least 4 times a game, just fucking lost a close game that I should of won, then this little fucking kid talks shit: Rainbow six just lags every few seconds, thats about all I play on live now). Im not sure what it is exactly, I have comcast cable, the modem, ethernet, router (actually 2, 1 better netgear, and my old reliable dlink that im familiar with and always used) Now the problem I want to fix is the connection dropping, Im sure its coming either from the connection, or modem, however its a newer modem. A direct connection still had drops. Is there anything I can do before I try moving the modem to another cable?(if I do id have to bridge the connection to my laptop to 360)

And, I was so pissed setting up the connection, it sucked. At home, all I did on by dsl is plug it in, it plays. On this, you need to restart the modem/router, then hopes it connects(didnt know I had to reset the modem cause I never did with my dsl, took about 4 hours of fucking setting up the basics till I just started fucking with things) (Id say im pretty good with computers/ networking too). I have a dlink(think a di524 and a netgearwgt624v2, Which should I use(netgears newer, better, but I tried opening the ports and it says strict anyways, and I did the dmz stuff in the tut.) dlink pretty much opened with just the ports (still get connection drops described above).

And, with everything working, my xp laptop doesnt connect to my connection, but my roommate's mac does. My laptop does connect to other connections, but not my current setup with the dlink.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']if anyone has a fix or recommends something, thanks for the help.[/quote]

Call Comcast.

[quote name='Scorch']Call Comcast.[/QUOTE]
Ha, comcast sucks. about 5-10 minutes on hold, then they dont help with shit. I called the veryfirst time, they said its trying to connect, ill send someone on friday (last, it was tuesday when I called). My roommate called, told them the connection keeps droping playing the 360, I took the phone since he doesnt work with pcs verywell, and the lady said it everything showed was fine, and she doesnt know about xbox, there not related and i have to call them about it. The whole time all I could think about was all the ads in games and out, of comcast, and my lagging by them with comcast.

I dont think theres other isps in tallahassee.

Netgear said I have to email customer service, they cant help me over phone cause warrently is over, but for something like 30 an hour they can, and the
"network expert or engineer" a ESL, seriously they said that in the recording btw. But did walkme through a basic checking. Didnt email them or call dlink yet, figured it was more with the connection, except the xp laptop.

Think I figured it out...
Should not have thought me roomate had the basics. He had a spliter reversed. The comcast guy saw that and changed it. I thought it would work, didnt, so I never checked it. I did today, and there were 2 splitters for some reason, the other, hiding behind a bookcase, was reversed. SO I fixed that, and now it seems its working. Now just need to configure my laptop, ill email dlink customer service later.

Wow, I have the exact problem sorta. Through my computer using wireless, my ping jumps up and down when I play online games, but I figure because its wireless. With Live, I don't lag, I just drop out of a game every other hour or so. Actually my whole connection goes out when that happens, but then I figure its because my cable modem is about 10 years old and we haven't upgraded it since. I don't have Comcast anymore, but I think we used to and it had the same problems so its somewhere within the cable modem, router (doubt it, just bought a new one months ago), or.. uh, ethernet cables?

I think we called Comcast to come over one time to see why it was doing it. Not only did he mention we had an old cable modem, but the placement of where it was wasn't in a good position? I don't know anymore..

Yep. Altho I need to restart the modem every so often, and its a newer model, just replaced. I hooked up the netlink so I could go online, but now just to unrestrict the ports in the router.

bread's done
Back