WTF? Severe lack of Wii in this sunday's ads..

V

Virtua

Anyone else notice that there was no mention of the Wii in the ads this week? PS3 and 360 are everywhere, but you wouldn't have any idea that nintendo even made anything except DS.. And it comes out next Sunday! This would be the last chance for best buy, etc. to promote the Wii before it's launch.

It doesn't make any sense to promote the item that is going to sell out within minutes and not even be close to fulfilling demand, while ignoring the item that is going to be abundant and has at least as much demand..

Maybe sony's dollars speak more than logical thinking does.

wouldn't be more cheaper to have display boards at the store rather than printed ads? you have to do weekly ads which probably cost more than display boards which you only do one time, then there are posters, pamphlet, and stuff like that.

and besides the display boards have more of an impact to customers rather than printed ads.

Dont forget, PS3 comes out on Friday. So you'll see them in this weeks ads. Wii comes out on a Sunday. That is when new sales start. So you'll see Wii advertised in Sundays flyers but would do it no justice cuz by the time people read/see it, system is released and probably gone.

[quote name='jer7583']Anyone else notice that there was no mention of the Wii in the ads this week? [/QUOTE]

So... wouldn't it make more sense to advertise it next week and make people come in this week for something else (like the PS3, which 95% of people will not get)?

Everyone reads the ads before shopping on Sunday, not a big deal. If they don't sell out, then they can decide to get one after reading about it.

Nintendo isn't worrying so much about the launch, for better or worse, as Reggie has stated that they will sell out, and the launches are for the hardcore, who know all about it already. I think he said they'd start airing commercials next week (which would be this week, I believe).

OMG Yes!! I noticed that today too. I was so pumped up about the launch day ads, and all there was for anything was PS3 this and George Foreman two in one grill that. Bull. Honkey. Thats what I say. Clearly Sony's pockets go deeper when it comes to advertising. ToysRUs had my Wii fix. Ahhhhh.....all better.

[quote name='Legendaryhedgehog06']OMG Yes!! I noticed that today too. I was so pumped up about the launch day ads, and all there was for anything was PS3 this and George Foreman two in one grill that. Bull. Honkey. Thats what I say. Clearly Sony's pockets go deeper when it comes to advertising. ToysRUs had my Wii fix. Ahhhhh.....all better.[/QUOTE]
What? What kind of crack are you smoking and where can we get some? Why would Nintendo advertise for their system when it's not even coming out this week?

I saw equal ads where I live in the flyers between the 2 consoles...actually the Wii probably had more advertisements on average...

You guys are all unbalanced. Wii launches next week on Sunday, hence there will be ads for Wii in next Sunday's paper. PS3 launches this Friday, hence ads for this week's paper. It amazes me with all this "conspiracy" talk.

[quote name='Kendro']You guys are all unbalanced. Wii launches next week on Sunday, hence there will be ads for Wii in next Sunday's paper. PS3 launches this Friday, hence ads for this week's paper. It amazes me with all this "conspiracy" talk.[/quote]

Quoted and bolded for truth.

Well I think nintendo is going for a different approach like the DS. My point is that I know advertising is important but really the DS really started picking up steam after word of mouth, and how the DS was for everybody. Now I think nintendo might be trying the same approach, becuase I think if the people are buying one on launch they know all about it, or they know ebay and nintendo realizes this, although I still don't know why they wouldn't do it today.

i can see the ads people trying to buy them used in the paper

Want to buy nintendo wii . just think of all the prank phone calls they are going to get

[quote name='jer7583']Anyone else notice that there was no mention of the Wii in the ads this week? PS3 and 360 are everywhere, but you wouldn't have any idea that nintendo even made anything except DS.. And it comes out next Sunday! This would be the last chance for best buy, etc. to promote the Wii before it's launch.

It doesn't make any sense to promote the item that is going to sell out within minutes and not even be close to fulfilling demand, while ignoring the item that is going to be abundant and has at least as much demand..

Maybe sony's dollars speak more than logical thinking does.[/quote]

Uh... no. No one pays to put anything in the ads.

[quote name='Rozz']Uh... no. No one pays to put anything in the ads.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, yes, they do. If Sony wants Blu-Ray to be on the front of all ads at Best Buy, they will.

[quote name='Rozz']Uh... no. No one pays to put anything in the ads.[/QUOTE]
Companies pay to have their items on the flyers. If they want front page, they have to pay more to that retail store. Thats how stores also make money.

Same goes for when you walk into a EB/GS. If you look on a section of the wall, you'll notice that it is all SONY, NINTENDO, EA or whatever company is. Thats cuz they pay to have that whole spot for themselves for that whole month. Even when employees answer the phone, they say "Home of EA..blah blah blah" or something like that. At least back when I worked for EB/GS

You think anyone that wants one doesn't know that its coming out in a week?

Nintendo doesn't need to advertise anything. Word of mouth from frothing fanboys is a lot cheaper.

I went into Toys R Us and they have some Wii boxes out (empty...yeah I went and shook them >.>) and have their whole section for the Wii ready. At the entrance they have a sign talking about the Wii as soon as you see anything else.

PS3...no mention at all. Then I go to Best Buy and it's a different story.

Honestly, the inital stock of PS3 will sell out... so advertising the system should just be a blurb. I would push the Xbox 360 more, figuring there might be a high percentage of people getting that instead and offer a couple of great deals for that. Look for this upcoming Sunday ad to be splattered with Wii stuff.

[quote name='David85']That's what Nintendo gets for releasing it on a Sunday after the PS3.[/QUOTE]
Who needs to advertise? Its OK if Nintendo releases on a Sunday, when those people who are a$$ed out of a PS3 on Friday, they'll see Wii displays in the aisles. And like some people who mentioned it, if you know about the Wii, there is no point in looking at the flyer.

[quote name='David85']That's what Nintendo gets for releasing it on a Sunday after the PS3.[/QUOTE]And that's a good thing for Nintendo, if you ask me. Instead of sharing the spotlight with the PS3 launch, it gets to DOMINATE the ads on the week it actually comes out. Plus there's the little subconscious advantage it gets in people's minds for being, technically, the "newest" console out there.

And seriously, what's with everyone trying to rationalize this? The Wii comes out NEXT WEEK, hence it is not featured heavily in THIS WEEK's ads. That's really all there is to it... no chicanery from Sony, no crazy new-wave advertising strategy from Nintendo, etc.

as everyone said, retail advertisements/sales run Sunday-Saturday. since the Wii launches on a Sunday, it'll be in everyone's ad that week.

[quote name='Gojtron']It's on the cover of an upcoming Target ad, I know that much.[/quote]
Somewhat off topic, but I found it funny that the week of the PS3 launch had the XBox 360 on the front of Target's ad ... with a $50 gift card to boot. Let me tell ya, I'm thinking it's time to get a 360 (and a Wii for Christmas).

One thing too, Sony is putting a big ad campagin for something that will sell out anyway. Shouldn't they focus on the PS2 and PSP. PS2 has some very new and solid games like Guitar Hero 2 and God of War 2 aswell as a few others. I mean the new Final Fantasy just came out. They make a new silver system, why not push that over the PS3. Truth is they will sell more PS2's this holiday season vs. the PS3 because pricing, units and games.

No need to advertise any of these systems. Do you think anyone would fork over this kind of cake impulsively because of the flyer? Besides, less advertising means less idiots at the store this weekend. :)

RC

bread's done
Back