WTF shipping prices sky rocketed?

JSK414

CAGiversary!
My auction for World Championship Poker for XBOX just ended. I got $8 for it, lol. I put shipping at the calculator, but it was about $7. I thought that was over priced but o well. I go to UPS today. IT COST $10.02 TO SHIP! WOW. (Tracking code of course). But wow $10.02 for standard ground with tracking.

[quote name='akirasplace']That or 1st Class w/ DC...[/QUOTE]

Oh, and don't use marbles as a packing material. I learned that the hard way.

UPS adds a fuel surcharge plus a residential (or something along that lines) charge. Those costs can really add up. I use UPS only when I have a large item to ship but even now, I try to use the USPS for everything.

[quote name='shipwreck']Oh, and don't use marbles as a packing material. I learned that the hard way.[/QUOTE]

Marbles? Like the kind kids play with?

I avoid auctions that ship UPS. What is the point of winning a game auction that is $10 off retail price, and then have to turn around and spend that $10 on shipping?

Media Mail is where it is at for gaming.

That is why I never, ever buy stuff online with the exception of Outpost.com and EBGAMES.com. They have $1 5-10 shipping but I get stuff in 2 usually. When you think about it, if a game is $20 in the store and you get a great deal, let's say $12, but have to pay $6 shipping and tax. You have spent more then the game in the store. I always hate when I see a great deal on media like $7 for a spindel of 50 DVD and find out they charge $14 shipping.

You will also notice some idiots, on ebay mostly, use the shipping to make an extra buck. They charge a super low price for the item ($5) and hit you for $18 shipping. Then you recieve the item and the shipping label sys $1.55.

lol im glad to see other people are outraged when people charge like ... a mortage payment for shipping. For certain things yeah I can understand..if the item is big and heavy..and the seller wants to be an extra buck or two ..but honesty, there is never a need for shipping to be more then $4 for a video game. If you bought like 10 from someone, thats another story.

It also makes me laugh that people on eBay really can be stupid. It just doesn't make sense when you see a game on eBay listed for let's say $15.99 as a BUY IT NOW, and the game is a GH/PC/GC, or just a normal $20 game. Then they add $4-6 shipping..you're spending more?! Sometimes you're just like $3 under what you would pay in a store...but if it's a used copy, I rather pay the $3 more and get a new one.

Ugh.. sorry. Just glad to see a topic like this because I've always had repressed anger towards this situation lol

[quote name='mykevermin']USPS Priority Shipping w/ Delivery Confirmation.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

$4.30 for Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation. Plus, it's a great deal with that Flat-Rate envelope they have at the post office. Anything you can fit in the envelope for $3.85, regardless of weight. Plus, with Priority Mail, if you mail it today it'll get there the day after tomorrow in most cases. If not, the day after that.

Yep 1st class is nearly as cheap as Media Mail (sometimes cheaper - depends on the weight)

Anyway, you can have the S+H cost shown in your search results on eBay. It can save you the wasted time of clicking on an auction from a seller that charges $8+ to ship a single game. (If they are using the calculator the link to bring up the calc is right in the search results too.)

lilboo - I've had a few games bid up to be over the MSRP once shipping is added in. It's amazing what some eBayers will pay. Plus I've found that when a game goes GH/PH it sometimes takes a week or even longer for it to drop in price on eBay.

[quote name='lilboo']lol im glad to see other people are outraged when people charge like ... a mortage payment for shipping.[/QUOTE]

I won an Ebay auction a few years ago for a $15 item, and the joker selling it wanted $20 for shipping! I can understand recouping some of your costs with higher shipping prices, but he wasn't exactly shipping me anything particularly large or heavy. I told him to leave me negative feedback, and I'd do the same for him.

[quote name='crickett003']Hell, I mail games First Class with delivery conf. for around $2.40[/QUOTE]

same here...and it gets where it needs to within 2-4 days...but add fifty cents for the bubble wrap envelope

I don't even bid on auctions with outrageous shipping (like $7 for a game). I don't even put it on my watch list. Even priority mail is only like $3.85 - that's what I charge. If I get it out right away I ship 1st class with confirmation, if I don't get to the post office for a few days I priority mail it to them for the full $3.85.

The most I ever charge is $6 for even a bunch of DVD/CD case sized lots...I shipped 6 Cowboy Bebop DVDs in the mail the other day, with tracking, for like $5.25 or so. I charged $6.

I saw a good SNES auction with some good games...shipping was marked at $50 and he would "refund you the extra". Whatever.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']I won an Ebay auction a few years ago for a $15 item, and the joker selling it wanted $20 for shipping! I can understand recouping some of your costs with higher shipping prices, but he wasn't exactly shipping me anything particularly large or heavy. I told him to leave me negative feedback, and I'd do the same for him.[/QUOTE]

LOL If I paid $20 SHIPPING for a GAME..I better open the box and get at LEAST 2 of the japanese people who made the game.

I know! what in the world is going on with shipping. I think your price you shipped your game for $10 is to much man. I just sent a package weighing 20 ilbs for $10.72. I dont know how your price got so high, maybe you should stop using gold packing tape.

Yeah ebay has gotten WAY out of hand. I bought a pack of 10 empty dvd cases for $2 and i didnt check the shipping... finally get it and it says $9 ... WHAT... I didnt want the negative so i just payed up and now i have to watch out before I click..

To defend the whole ebay = outrageously high shipping claim. Just be aware that ebay has jacked up the fees for their sellers over the last year or so (My monthly bill has gone up about 25% since last year this time). Sellers don't get charged a % by ebay on shipping charges, only on the final value of the item. That's why you might see a newer game that would normally sell for $30 or so for $9.99 + $20 shipping...you'll still pay the same price, those sellers are just trying to get around paying more to ebay, which in most cases I see no problem with. It's all business. And for the record, yes I do sell games on ebay, but no I don't charge the high shipping ($3.89 flat).

TRUE, but when you see a game for like $8.00 BUY IT NOW and the shipping is like $15---Thats a HUGE let down, and I'm sure anyone with a somewhat bit of common sense would be like "..no.. ::checks other auctions::"

Is it..in a way.. "illegal" to charge let's say $10 shipping, and when you get the envelope it says $2.13. Are you allowed to dispute that if the seller doesnt explain WHY it's $10?

I've never heard of any official ruling on that. However, I'm assuming that there's little if anything that a buyer can do, just for the simple reason that if the seller delivers the item in due time and in the condition that was given in the listing, then by ebay's policy, they have adequately completed the transaction. If the buyer had a problem with the shipping, they should simply not bid. I understand what you're saying, and I do not endorse the practice in any way. I'm just saying that I do understand why some sellers choose to do it that way.

eBay does have a policy against outrageous shipping in fact.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

Unreasonable shipping or handling costs - Listings with low prices but unreasonably high shipping or handling costs.

But I imagine it would have to be pretty bad for eBay to do anything.

The only fee that has raised on eBay (which affects me) is the BIN, there might have been an insertion fee increase, and to a lesser extent the gallery increase. The FVF has not increased for normal listings, just stores. If I had an eBay store I'd probably have closed it.

I sold my cellphone on e-bay for $125 (fees taken out, plus paypal's share) and I used UPS shipping.. I charged $8 for shipping (usually comes at 6-7.50 for shipping at the UPS store) Plus, they get to have a tracking number to see where it is going.

USPS is notorious for having really crappy tracking services. so its worth a few extra dollars at my end knowing that my buyer can have an ease at mind where the package is, instead of worrying where the bumfuck'ing egypt my package is.

Once usps can get their tracking working, I will be switching from Brown :D

[quote name='The Dord']I sold my cellphone on e-bay for $125... USPS is notorious for having really crappy tracking services. so its worth a few extra dollars at my end knowing that my buyer can have an ease at mind where the package is, instead of worrying where the bumfuck'ing egypt my package is.[/QUOTE]

Well sure, for a $125 item, I would use UPS.

bread's done
Back