www.GOG.com buy1 get on free on Interplay games - last day!

cjunk74

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
To celebrate GOG.com's 1 year anniversary they are having a sale on Interplay games.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/1year_promo/

Buy 1 get one free. Sorry, no Fallout 1 & 2(Edit: Fallout 1 and 2 work, they just aren't on the main page). Lasts for one week.

Games listed:

Freespace + Expansion
Freespace 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Earthworm Jim 1 + 2
MDK
Kingpin: Life of Crime
Fallout Tactics
Redneck Rampage Collection
Descent 3 + Expansion
Stonekeep
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

All games are $5.99 (so that's $6 for two games)

EDIT: Oops, there are even more games.
MDK 2
Castles 1 &2
Hostile Waters
Conquest of the New World
Screamer
F/A 18E Super Hornet
Evolva
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Jagged Aliance 2
Messiah
M.A.X. 1 & 2
Die by the Sword
Shattered Steel
Earthworm Jim 3D
Invictus
VR Soccer '96

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EnjoysDeals']Was going to get both the fallouts until I realized they were downloads.[/QUOTE]

Wait...

For 3 dollars a pop, you're going to be squeamish about a DRM-free download? One that you can re-download as many times as you want, or burn to a disc, or store on your hard drive, also as many times as you want? All bundled into an installer that's actually superior to the CD versions because of the already-applied patches? And all the extras that GOG gives you with them, like the soundtracks and the Fallout Bible with a page count in the triple digits? And the incomparable tech support and lists of mods in their forum, which are so good that I would make use of even for games I didn't buy from them?

You don't want all that for $6.... just because they haven't been put on a disc FOR you? I just want to make sure I have this right.

[quote name='Vegan']You don't want all that for $6.... just because they haven't been put on a disc FOR you? I just want to make sure I have this right.[/QUOTE]*claps slowly*

Seconded. I wanted to write this long ranting post about how I love the motivation and philosophy of GoG, but didn't want to sound like a marketing guy out to virally draw up business.

But good god this company is awesome. If you have any doubts about the quality, service or legitimacy of GoG - no need to worry.

Now, get us some old Lucasarts classics, and I may just do G.O.B.'s happy chicken dance.

511028583_b34f93ea43_o.gif

[quote name='EnjoysDeals']I know that. Didn't realize till I got onto my comp and looked around. Iphone browsing ftl.[/QUOTE]

To be clear though, this isn't like Steam. These don't have activation-you actually own them after you buy and download them. You can back them up to disc, lose your internet connection tomorrow, and they'd still work just as well.

[quote name='Vegan']Wait...

For 3 dollars a pop, you're going to be squeamish about a DRM-free download? One that you can re-download as many times as you want, or burn to a disc, or store on your hard drive, also as many times as you want? All bundled into an installer that's actually superior to the CD versions because of the already-applied patches? And all the extras that GOG gives you with them, like the soundtracks and the Fallout Bible with a page count in the triple digits? And the incomparable tech support and lists of mods in their forum, which are so good that I would make use of even for games I didn't buy from them?

You don't want all that for $6.... just because they haven't been put on a disc FOR you? I just want to make sure I have this right.[/QUOTE]

Picked up Giants and Kingpin. Will probably pick up the fallouts in the next couple days. My Fallout 2 disc is getting pretty abused.

[quote name='token2k6']if anyone can get the color glitch to workout for them in Fallout 2 (i think or maybe 1), then I give you 100+ internets. I've tried on 3 different machines, w/ 3 different OS's and everything in their forums, and have just given up. Very hard to play due to this.

For those of you who didn't know about this before downloading and is affected by this, like me, I'm sorry![/QUOTE]

I found a link to a French utility that fixes this problem on the Fallout 2 board at Gamefaqs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/detail.php?board=63576&topic=44806509&message=491050693

It's in French, but basically what you do is run the utility (there is a separate one for each Fallout), it will open a pop-up box, leave the box open and run Fallout. When you are done playing, click Ok on the pop-up box and the program will quit.

They use and acknowledge dosbox. You don't have to have dosbox installed on your system, each game executable is built with it included. On some of the games they also have a configuration menu that was not included in the original title in order to facilitate gaming on new machines. Descent 1 and 2 for example. They also get in contact with the original makers and get interviews and all they can to support their games. I keep sounding like a commercial but I don't think there is another game distribution company out there more dedicated do it's customers. Ok, back to playing World of Xeen.

Nice deal. Picked up Descent Freespace 2 (always wanted to play it) and Redneck Rampage. Might get Sacrifice and Kingpin for some more old school goodness.

Thanks for the heads-up on this deal. I'd only bought Fallout 1 from them previously, so using this deal I spent only $12, and picked up Fallout 2 and Tactics (to complete my Fallout collection), and Freespace 1 & 2 (which were both games that I wanted to play back in the day, but just never got around to picking them up).

I then burned them to disks (to make my own Fallout and Freespace Collections), included an autorun program on each disk to launch the installers, Lightscribed the disks to give them a 'professional' look, and finally printed out a 'cover' with the game box images on it. At the end of the day I have phsical disks that have a good, finished look to them, and work just as good as if I bought the individual disks at the store.

If things like DRM and requiring logins to use downloaded games after they are purchased are the reason some of you folks are hesitant about purchasing through gog.com, then those are not concerns you need to have with anything you get from them. As long as you have a burner, you can easily make your own physical disks that don't require *any* connection or login to gog/the internet in order to install and/or play the games. Of course, if you don't want to make a disk, you can always redownload the game from gog through your my account page.

Great website, great games, great prices, great community on their forums, helpful customer service, and no DRM already make them a great place to shop for classic games, and this buy one get one deal only makes it that much sweeter.

Thanks again to the OP for the heads-up on this deal. I got 4 classics I've wanted for only 12 dollars. That was just way too good of a deal for me to pass up. :)

Thanks for the deal. I bought:

Descent 1 , 2, 3 + Expansion for $6!
And FreeSpace + Expansion and Freespace 2 for $6!

Sweet!

Ended up picking up Fallout and Fallout: Tactics, Freespace 2 and Sacrifice. I was one of the people hesitant on Digital Distribution but GOG.com makes it a no brainer (Vegan and gerget93 already stated why). Even though I have Fallout 2 on disc, I am still contemplating picking it up along with another game. After browsing my GOG.com library, I see that they also include soundtracks, wallpapers, etc. for each of the games...this company is truly awesome.

The only reason I ever sell my PC games is to download the GoG versions.

Also, I like the fact CD Keys can be obtained for multiplayer games that need them.

I was wishing I didn't already have all the Interplay titles I wanted...but then I went ahead and bit on the Might & Magic 6 Pack, so GOG got my money anyway. :D

I bought quite a few titles, but I'm thinking of picking up a couple of more. I said I wouldn't spend any money, but I couldn't defer this any longer. For those on the fence, only one day left.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']I've never been a PC joystick gamer - how is Descent: Freespace on KB/mouse? Comparable to X-Wing and Tie Fighter?[/QUOTE]

Freespace plays perfectly fine on a keyboard / mouse imo. Descent (atleast the first one) doesn't feel sensitive enough (Meaning I have to move the mouse quite a bit just to turn around even at full sensitivity). Don't let that stop you from getting Descent though. It's sooo good and fun even today.

Edit - Just found out you can change the mouse sensitivity even more if you edit one of the files so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh. Sorta wished I had missed this sale. Picked up Hostile Waters, MAX + MAX2, Shattered Steel, Shogo, Kingpin, Redneck Rampage Collection, Sacrifice, Descent 1 + 2, Descent 3, Freespace 2, Fallout and Fallout 2. I already had Fallout and Fallout 2 on disc but couldn't resist for the extras (and as insurance on the off chance my discs ever fail although I know that's a pretty silly reason.) Then again that's a lotta gaming for $35.94.

[quote name='animalspinners']deserves to be on the front page.[/QUOTE]

It has two things going against it that most gamers don't care about:

1) They're PC games
2) They're old games

Sad but true.

Decided to pull the trigger on a lot of games I've been eyeing on GOG for the entire year I've been a member -

Descent 1+2
Descent 3
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Redneck Rampage
Stonekeep
Giants
Shogo
Die By The Sword
Freespace 2
Kingpin

10 games for $30, not too bad considering a lot of these games I wanted to get when they were originally brand new 10 or so years ago... getting them for $3 a piece is a fantastic deal.

Considering Castles and Battle Chess, got a bit of time to figure it out. Already got all the Fallout's from when the site launched.

I just got the Fallout Trilogy and Shogo because my discs are toast.

Before that, I picked up Descent:FS2, DBTS, Invictus, Lionheart, Messiah, Shattered Steel, Hostile Waters and Stonekeep.

No mas. My wallet is closed off.

Only twenty-five minutes left.

shogo
dbts
max 1 & 2
sacrifice
hostile waters
messiah

passed on stone keep and lionheart, looked at some gameplay vids and didn't like what I saw.

Damn, I REALLY wish I would have known about this sale last week. I made it in time to pick up a few games though.

-Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 (probably the best platformer series ever made as far as I'm concerned, EWJ2 being the superior game)
-Stonekeep (I used to play this when I was younger and have some fond memories of it)
-Redneck Rampage (I played the shareware of this WAY back when, never actually got to play the full game. I enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, so I'm sure I'll like this)
-Giants: Citizen Kabuto (I kept hearing a lot of good things about this game. Decided to make it my other free game)

I already owned the three Fallouts in the sale on a disc collection, as well as disc versions of Messiah and Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (AWESOME game). This sale finally bit me in the ass and forced me to sign up with GOG. I love being able to use PayPal and the bonuses and no-DRM policy is just as awesome as well. ;)

Was on the fence about a few games (Kingpin, Stonekeep, Redneck R), and just snagged 20:

Fallout Trilogy (now that there's Fallout 3, can we still call it that?)
Descent Trilogy
Freespace 1&2
Shogo
JA2:UB
Earthworm Jim
MDK 1&2
Giants
Messiah
Sacrifice
Evolva
Die by the Sword
Invictus
Conquest of the New World
Lionheart

They would have gotten even more of my money if they had the rest of the Black Isle catalog.

PS: (anyone thinking the set of bonus avatars for JA2:UB are merc faces - they're not. You can probably extract them, ,though)

This would be a great deal except I don't believe in buying anything I don't get a pyshical copy of in the process.

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']This would be a great deal except I don't believe in buying anything I don't get a pyshical copy of in the process.[/QUOTE]

1. You can burn the installers for these games onto a disc (or discs) as many times as you want so you can have a physical backup (or backups). There's no DRM, so no internet connection is required to "authenticate" your copy of the game.

2. You can redownload any game you buy as many times as you want.

3. A lot of these games are much older, making finding a physical copy a LOT harder and probably a lot more expensive too.

I suppose I could understand your concern if these were newer games and we were paying $40-50 for each one we bought. But the majority of these games are almost 10 years or older, and the prices were all $5.99 each (making it $2.99 per game assuming you got in on the buy one, get one free deal). Really now, $6 for 2 games is an amazing deal, especially if they happen to be games you'd really like to play. :roll:

actually I own a lot of these on disk or snes or various formats. I picked up Fallout 1 2 and Tactics recently at a local wal mart. I was amazed they re released it.

[quote name='BMXJouster']1. You can burn the installers for these games onto a disc (or discs) as many times as you want so you can have a physical backup (or backups). There's no DRM, so no internet connection is required to "authenticate" your copy of the game.

2. You can redownload any game you buy as many times as you want.

3. A lot of these games are much older, making finding a physical copy a LOT harder and probably a lot more expensive too.

I suppose I could understand your concern if these were newer games and we were paying $40-50 for each one we bought. But the majority of these games are almost 10 years or older, and the prices were all $5.99 each (making it $2.99 per game assuming you got in on the buy one, get one free deal). Really now, $6 for 2 games is an amazing deal, especially if they happen to be games you'd really like to play. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The only difference between you putting them on a disc or some company putting them on a disc for you is about $50.

[quote name='Vegan']Exactly. The only difference between you putting them on a disc or some company putting them on a disc for you is about $50.[/QUOTE]

As well as the quality of the disc, artwork, case instruction manual. There is a huge difference between a burnt disk and a disk that was pressed.

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']As well as the quality of the disc, artwork, case instruction manual. There is a huge difference between a burnt disk and a disk that was pressed.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if that's worth 15x the cost, more power to ya.

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']As well as the quality of the disc, artwork, case instruction manual. There is a huge difference between a burnt disk and a disk that was pressed.[/QUOTE]

A lot of the games on GOG's site come with free downloadable bonuses including instruction manuals, soundtracks, artwork, wallpapers and even guides. :booty:

[quote name='Rebelphoenix']This would be a great deal except I don't believe in buying anything I don't get a pyshical copy of in the process.[/QUOTE]

You're going to hate the future....

I picked up two games and grabed two more!

Great sale.

Can't wait till they come out with more.

bread's done
Back