X-Arcade Tankstick Released - 2-player with trackball

MiahX

CAG Veteran
http://xgaming.com/htm/tankstick_announce.shtml

I dunno if it is a release sale, but has $249 slashed out selling for $199

2-player controller with integrated trackball. Fighting game fans will like the fact that it is wider for 2-player play, native USB and PS/2 support, and the buttons are aligned to the joysticks in comp style. It is geared more for classic gaming in general, but the Lifetime Warranty allows customizations like different buttons and sticks.

tank_straight.jpg

tank_compare.jpg

Supposedly it's not that hard to switch out the crappy parts for happ parts, i dunno about sanwa though. $199 is a bit steep though with the standard 2player one without trackball selling for $130.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Too bad X-Arcade sticks suck.:whistle2:|[/quote]

Their Lifetime Warranty does allow for customizing like new buttons and sticks.

If this is like the one w/o the trackball, it sucks. I've used that one and I can say I would not pay for it.

I would seriously recommend trying it out before deciding to buy it unless you plan on mounting it in a homeade arcade cabinet. Even then, you might as well just spend the $$$ building your own controller from assembled parts.

I don't everyone hates this thing I have had the 2 player version (in the second picture) without the trackball for years when it first came out and not had a problem. I used it for the gamecube, ps2, xbox and pc (mame) and it works like a champ. If they had a upgrade program I would get that in a heart beat. Just no Xbox 360 adapter does suck.

In my opinion, the best thing about the trackball version is the increased amount of elbow room over their other 2-Player model. I might have jumped on the old model if I didn't have to rub up against my friends to play a game.

Now I have 2 Tekken sticks... too little too late X-Arcade.

[quote name='MiahX']Their Lifetime Warranty does allow for customizing like new buttons and sticks.[/QUOTE]

Too bad X-Arcade sticks suck.

I love it. It's great that they added USB support too. I wonder if it would work with the original X-arcade dual stick that I own to support 4 player Simpsons arcade on MAME.

Supposedly the X-Arcade console adapters all suffer from lag. But I guess I'm really not advanced enough of a fighting gamer to notice. They always felt fine to me, although they would occasionally gliltch up and act weird. But even the haters seem to agree that its performance on a PC is flawless. In my experience the company has always been great to work with too. Any time I had an issue with a button or a microswitch or something they would air mail me replacement parts free of charge. They've kept in touch through tech-support emails and always followed up to see if the stuff I ordered was working right. They even sent me the new USB board so I could help test it out (which reminds me, I gotta get back to them to give my impressions).

it only worths 50$ at most, for the case.
Even if it has Happs parts in it, the price tag is still ridiculous

I have the one player stick and the trackball and both work great for me. I actually like using it better than my upright MAME arcade machine with HAPPs parts just because it's more convenient and portable.

Why I think X-arcade sucks:

1) The Two Player version doesn't have enough space between the players IMO, but I guess you could argue this better simulates an actual arcade machine? I also remember my friend would always rock/move the controller which was REALLY annoying when trying to play a fighting game. I guess this wouldn't be an issue if you installed it in a cabinet though.

2) The adapters produce lag, which I guess is acceptable to most people. Since I am pretty hardcore when it comes to fighting games, this is totally unacceptable for me. I've also run into the problem where the conrols glitch up (remapped?!) and suddenly things are jank.

3) I will admit I am biased towards Japanese style sticks- I own the Namco Hori, SCII Hori, SCII hori with Sanwa parts (hot!) and a Real Arcade Pro (too good!). So clearly I prefer Japanese style sticks.

I would still recommend trying this out somehow before putting the $$$ down.

I'd be curious what the alternatives people are using for a plug and play PC MAME arcade stick.

When I got my original 2 player stick, I was giddy like a school girl playing games like Joust, TMNT, or Simpsons. I always wanted to get a second 2 player stick to play the 4 player simulatenous modes but even figuring out how to connect and configure the 2 keyboard connections of the X-Arcade sticks was beyond me. If MAME supports this new X-Arcade USB connection, I'll definitely drop the money for this stick.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']Save your money. Quality wise, you aren't getting anything CLOSE to what you are paying for.[/quote]

I agree. For half that price you could easily build your own using better parts and customize it any way you like.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree. For half that price you could easily build your own using better parts and customize it any way you like.[/QUOTE]
But I don't want to have to bulid it myself. I want to just buy one and play.

If you know what Happs parts are, then this stick comes up a little short. But for 99% of the gamers out there (who have no idea what Happ is), this is pretty much one of the highest quality sticks out there.

None of my friends can tell the difference between Happ and X-arcade parts, for example.

[quote name='radjago']But I don't want to have to bulid it myself. I want to just buy one and play.[/quote]
I saw a HRAP (One of the nicest sticks out there) for I think $70-$90 on Play-asia just a few days ago.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I saw a HRAP (One of the nicest sticks out there) for I think $70-$90 on Play-asia just a few days ago.[/QUOTE]

Can you show me a link to a dual arcade stick with a trackball that connects to a PC with a USB connection for $90 or less? Everybody here seems to talk in hypotheticals arguing against this new X-arcade stick.

most people are biased based on the fact that it doesn't use happ parts which is so easily available and would only cost less than $50 bucks retail for a 2 player set of competition sticks and buttons with cherry microswitches. also the layout of the buttons with the 2 extra on the third row looks uncomfortable for 6 button capcom fighters. last, the lag produced by the previous pcb (which seems to be fixed but i haven't tried)

i would figure most people wouldn't use the trackball anyways and would buy the stick based on being able to play fighting and co-op games. but seriously you could get 2 tekken 5 sticks for 30 bucks each and a pair of radio shack ps2/usb adapters and sit comfortably away from eachother all for less than $100 and have something just as good imho. (disclaimer: i've never tried the radioshack brand usb adapter with a t5 stick, i'm just making a cag cost example)

so basically its like spending $100 more for some heavy wood and being able to play some 1 player games that utilize a trackball all in 1 convenient package with 2 extra buttons that sit where your palm might be.

just think if they added happ parts and took away those 2 extra buttons, at least the fighting game players would have nothing to complain about and would have a great option when choosing a stick purchase. you would think it would be a no brainer for xarcade to implement something like this but i think they like the fact that the average casual gamer probably already thinks they are getting american top grade arcade parts just by the way the thing looks.

i think if you play fighting/shmup games for a month on happ/sanwa/seimitsu/fanta parts and then go back to playing on an xarcade, you will know the difference in quality. even the most casual gamer will see a difference.

And I would respectfully disagree. Based upon everyone's feedback here, people that didn't know any better would think that the X-arcade parts are junk, which they're not.

This is my (unbiased take):

Happ parts = arcade quality, the real deal
X-arcade parts = pretty close to Happ quality
Most everything else = pretty crappy

If you jump back and forth between Happ parts and X-arcade parts, you'll definitely notice a difference. If you only use an X-arcade, you'll swear it feels almost exactly how you remembered it back in the arcade days.

Just my 2 cents.

I prefer my x-arcade for everything but fighting games. I nearly tripled my high score on Ikaruga when I swtiched to the x-arcade. Arcade Sticks boil down to personal prefrence some swear by ball top japanesse sticks but I prefer the bat style. It's all about what you feel comfortable playing with.

[quote name='akuma001']i would figure most people wouldn't use the trackball anyways[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of retro gaming then? I would love to get an arcade quality trackball to play games like Centipede and Missle Command. And that seems to be the whole purpose of the original post.

[quote name='akuma001']also the layout of the buttons with the 2 extra on the third row looks uncomfortable for 6 button capcom fighters. [/QUOTE]Whoa, I've GOTTA disagree on that one. The two extra buttons are awesome because they allow for some versatile button layouts. I play a lot of UMK3, and that bottom-left button is a PERFECT "Run" button. Also the right button on that bottom row, used in conjunction with the second and third button in the middle row, makes for a good Virtua Figher layout (if I'm remembering the VF controls correctly). Meanwhile you've still got the perfect 6-button capcom layout, and I've never found the 2 extra buttons on the bottom to be "uncomfortable" when I'm playing any of those games.

Ha ha not to jump on you or anything, it's just that I like the X-Arcade better than a lot of other sticks specifically BECAUSE of those two extra buttons.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Whoa, I've GOTTA disagree on that one. The two extra buttons are awesome because they allow for some versatile button layouts. I play a lot of UMK3, and that bottom-left button is a PERFECT "Run" button. Also the right button on that bottom row, used in conjunction with the second and third button in the middle row, makes for a good Virtua Figher layout (if I'm remembering the VF controls correctly). Meanwhile you've still got the perfect 6-button capcom layout, and I've never found the 2 extra buttons on the bottom to be "uncomfortable" when I'm playing any of those games.

Ha ha not to jump on you or anything, it's just that I like the X-Arcade better than a lot of other sticks specifically BECAUSE of those two extra buttons.[/QUOTE]

nah you make sense, i think it would also be useful for the tekken tag, gg, and atomiswave snk fighters that utilize 5 buttons with 3 on top and 2 on bottom even better. so where do you have the block button for umk3? haha i remember the button layout on the cabs being in an X shape with the block in the center.

[quote name='PerryD']Not a fan of retro gaming then? I would love to get an arcade quality trackball to play games like Centipede and Missle Command. And that seems to be the whole purpose of the original post.[/QUOTE]

its true we see things different because the first thing that comes to my mind is that the thing is wider so people don't elbow eachother in the ribs as easy.

but i see your point. hopefully the trackball is as responsive as its arcade counterpart.

[quote name='akuma001']nah you make sense, i think it would also be useful for the tekken tag, gg, and atomiswave snk fighters that utilize 5 buttons with 3 on top and 2 on bottom even better. so where do you have the block button for umk3? haha i remember the button layout on the cabs being in an X shape with the block in the center.[/QUOTE]Yeah, the block button is the only real concession I have to make when playing MK. I just set the middle buttons in both the top row and second row as block. But when I play I only really use the top-middle button. Despite being slightly higher than it should, I don't really notice when I'm playing and it actually feels fine. Definitely a worthy sacrifice in order to include the Capcom six-button layout.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree. For half that price you could easily build your own using better parts and customize it any way you like.[/QUOTE]

Can you recommend what parts to use? I know to get buttons and joysticks from Happ, but what about a keyboard encoder?

bread's done
Back