X-Box 360 HD DVD @ Sam's Club-$72.60! Gigantic YMMV!

Oxybeles

CAGiversary!
While taking a short vacation in Palm Desert, CA; I stopped by a new Sam’s Club in Palm Springs. Sure enough, there was a display box for the X-Box 360 HD DVD with the price of…$72.60. Yes, $72.60! I had little choice but to procure the item. They only had the one left, but I also noticed that in the wired rack case, there were a two or three WIIs and numerous DSs of all colors.

Whereas the HD-DVD was quite a buy at the price, I am not overly impressed with its alleged superiority over an up-scaling DVD Player. I only have the movie, King Kong, which came with the drive and in a comparison to the Sony DVD Player Model DVP-NS75H, while HD the HD DVD looks clearer, it does not appear to be markedly superior.

Therefore, for $72.60 it is only marginally worth it, considering the scarcity of rental options for HD DVDs, as well as the cost of HD DVDs; and at $199; I would indicate that the HD DVD add-on is not that wise of an investment for your hard earned gaming or entertainment dollars.

As for searching Sam’s Clubs for the huge YMMV deals, I would check each and every one!

Well, I can tell you I have 2 of these drives, one connected to a 360, another on a PC, and both work fabulously.

Anyone having issues with color being bad, etc... I'd exchange at the point of purchase, or if it's too late for that... contact MS.

I love mine and they work awesome.

So what is with the X-Box HD-DVD set going on clearance or sale everywhere? Is there a rumor on a new version coming out?

[quote name='MrGranger']So what is with the X-Box HD-DVD set going on clearance or sale everywhere? Is there a rumor on a new version coming out?[/QUOTE]

It's really not. The HD-DVD drive is usually MSRP Everywhere.

Various Sam's/Wal-Marts will clearance ANYTHING that is not selling regardless of what it is. However, it is totally up to the managers at each store so while most Sam's will still have the drive at the normal $181 price, there will be a few that have marked it down because it's not selling.

[quote name='ogbaka']can you pm at another sams club? post recept? thx[/quote]

so you want them to pricematch a scanned receipt...from a different store...

I would pay to see that.

I picked one up a month ago for $110. All the Sams near me had it for anywhere from $160-$181. The store that had it for $110 said that it was a dicontinued item by Sams, and that if a store had 4 or more it would be regular price. If a store had 3, it would be cheaper, and then 2 would be even cheaper. So the stores that have a lot will still be full price, while ones that are almost out of stock will be cheaper.

That goes against general commerce practices and supply and demand. Why would you lower the price of something that sells well when you are already selling it below cost?

If you have 4 lower the cost to get rid of them. If you had two why mark it down because you already sold 2 at a higher price. I dunno

[quote name='blueaurora']That goes against general commerce practices and supply and demand. Why would you lower the price of something that sells well when you are already selling it below cost?

If you have 4 lower the cost to get rid of them. If you had two why mark it down because you already sold 2 at a higher price. I dunno[/QUOTE]

Well, if a store recieved 2 and couldnt sell either of them, and a store that recieved 20 but has 4 left, then it might make sense >_>

Seriously though, sometimes you just need to look away from the statistics of econimics and realize your "loses", if you have a product thats not selling and sitting on the self for months or even years, then nip it in the bud, sell it at a lower price no matter how many units you have, maybe its just a coincidence that the managers that dont want to sell it at a lower price have more units.....

[quote name='Link927']Well, if a store recieved 2 and couldnt sell either of them, and a store that recieved 20 but has 4 left, then it might make sense >_>

Seriously though, sometimes you just need to look away from the statistics of econimics and realize your "loses", if you have a product thats not selling and sitting on the self for months or even years, then nip it in the bud, sell it at a lower price no matter how many units you have, maybe its just a coincidence that the managers that dont want to sell it at a lower price have more units.....[/QUOTE]

Yea mostly all Sam's Clubs only received 4 of the HD Players. My Sam's has had the same 4 sitting there since they launched last year.

bread's done
Back