X-Com returns..as a Shooter

...the fuck?

I'm not usually one to gripe about shooters, I play a fair number of them and have some good fun but X-Com is sacred ground.

If Tie Fighter ever gets relaunched as a strategy game I'll suffer a stress-induced heart attack.

It's like someone took all my childhood toys, melted them down and tried to resell me the hunk of plastic goo left over.

Sure, it's the same name and universe, but it is NOT fuckING X-COM. They need to put out some more info on this now that actually looks like they give a shit about the fanbase.

[quote name='VipFREAK']wtf is X-com... ? 2K? that will be a fail anyway.[/QUOTE]

I hate the post a lot. Most of all, not for the "wtf is xcom," but the use of "fail" as a noun, because this is one of the worst things happening to the internet.

Damn theres already too many FPS out there...chances are it will just be another generic shooter with X-Com theme. Then again if they make a real X-Com strategy game again I am afraid it will just disappoint me like any other Classic game that has had a modern sequel made..like Star Control 2-->3 and Master of Orion -->2/3 (2 was OK, 3 was an abomination).

Anyway let them do it, maybe they will surprise us with an FPS with X-Com strategy elements..

I had to go fire up a round of real, classic, original X-Com tonight in order to rid my brain of this horrible news.

But it only made me sadder that they are going to butcher the name even further after playing this brilliant game.

Well, you cant exactly come back as a genre that no one plays anymore. I guess in the best case one can hope that it turns out like Fallout 3. People liked Fallout 3, right?

Let them make their FPS on the consoles.. I've given up on a X-Com game on console, even though the PsOne ports were great.

Let's hope they put on a small team, at the same time, to make a iPhone-version based on the original games to co-market the big FPS-one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Benedict']Let's hope they put on a small team, at the same time, to make a iPhone-version based on the original games to co-market the big FPS-one.[/QUOTE]

Why the fuck would you want to restrict such a thing to the goddamn iPhone?

always thinking positive,
it would be cool to mix fps gameplay, with empire building/business sim mechanics
not like they could do a worse job than the interceptor game

Why do they bother? Are they really that OUT OF TOUCH? Like anyone other than X-Com fans would care about this game... and those X-Com fans don't want a freaking SHOOTER! Who comes up with these ideas? Who OKs them?!

[quote name='Kaiser499']Terrible decision, bring back my RTS X-Com.[/QUOTE]

RTS? Uh....have you ever played X-Com?

[quote name='UjnHunter']Why do they bother? Are they really that OUT OF TOUCH? Like anyone other than X-Com fans would care about this game... and those X-Com fans don't want a freaking SHOOTER! Who comes up with these ideas? Who OKs them?![/QUOTE]

Uh, to play devil's advocate:
Are you really that OUT OF TOUCH to believe that there is enough of a market today to justify a big-budget X-Com revival, in the same genre as the originals?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']RTS? Uh....have you ever played X-Com?[/QUOTE]I vaguely recall the third game being playable in real-time. He might have been thinking about that.

[quote name='The Crotch']I vaguely recall the third game being playable in real-time. He might have been thinking about that.[/QUOTE]

I guess so, but that's really not what the series is remembered for.

Correct.

It is remembered for that fucking son of a cunt Sectoid Leader who mind controlled your RPG even though you're totally sure none of the enemies could see it and you save-scum the shit out of it and it's still happening and look you even hid the guy in the back of the Skyranger that time and they still fucking got him graaarghwhathethfuckyoucunts!

Man, talk about deja vu...

256px-Shadowrun_box_art_2.jpg

Anyone who asking what is x-com, go to Steam and buy X-COM: UFO Defense.

It's only 5 dollars and is one of the greatest pc games ever made.

There is a reason why the fans are frothing with anger. Play and be enlightened.

I loved X-COM like crazy. But sucked so bad at it. I'd always run out of money. It was fun as hell though to have veteran soldiers and you'd feel like shit if you played hardcore (ie: no reverting to old saves) and they died on you.

Honestly, I wish Nintendo would dust the cobwebs off the DS (which I haven't found a game worth buying for in going over a year now) and port X-COM 1 & 2. That game would be the so much nicer with the stylus and the old resolution would probably port well natively to the DS with little retrofitting needed.

[quote name='Brak']Whatever happened to that Command and Conquer FPS?[/QUOTE]

Command and Conquer: Renegade, one of the most addictive Multiplayer FPS game I played..I wish they would make a sequel..

[quote name='Cao Cao']Man, talk about deja vu...

256px-Shadowrun_box_art_2.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I suppose that was a sensible transition. However, a FPS RPG would have been absolutely epic. Too bad Microsoft bullied that game's production along.

Even though I enjoyed it, it was obviously unpolished, and the lack of single-player really, really sucked.
[quote name='FlipSide']Command and Conquer: Renegade, one of the most addictive Multiplayer FPS game I played..I wish they would make a sequel..[/QUOTE]
Oh, wow. I forgot about that.

I actually saw trailers for a C&C FPS, a couple years back, and have not heard anything since. It kind of looked like BLACK.

[quote name='FlipSide']Command and Conquer: Renegade, one of the most addictive Multiplayer FPS game I played..I wish they would make a sequel..[/QUOTE]

He was probably talking about Tiberium, actually. This was a new C&C FPS that was announced in early 2008 (via a big Gameinformer cover story, if I recall), only to be canceled in September of that same year for the usual "quality" reasons.

It looked kinda badass, really. Here's a few videos:

[quote name='aihuman']Is irrational games still apart of 2K?I wonder what Irrational is working on?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Irrational Australia is working on this new XCOM. Irrational Boston is working on an unannounced, still-under-wraps new game, based on an new, original IP, under the direction of Ken Levine.

[quote name='Bob A. Booey']Shit dammit, Shadowrun needs a proper remake. Someone get on that.[/QUOTE]

If they are going to keep it a shooter I demand it be given to Gearbox. If they go back to RPG then Obsidian or Bioware.

bread's done
Back