XB360 1080p Vs. PS3 1080p

laserazer

CAGiversary!
In the recent Xbox 360 live update, the system is now capable of displaying games and movies in 1080p resolution. Is this some kind of upconversion using software techniques? On Sony's camp, some developers are making their games 1080p while others aren't (Resistance is 720p). What is the difference between what Microsoft is doing compared to what Sony is doing? Can't Sony do the same thing and allow all their games to display in 1080p? Yea, I'm pretty confused about all this. Thx.

I'm curious if this upgrade will allow the 360 to upconvert regular DVD's to 720p or 1080i when the hdmi cable comes out for it.

Why the heck would developers want to make their game 720 instead of 1080?

I mean, the whole point of the freaking system is to appease the graphics whores!

For the 360, this is just like 1080i support-meaning the system is usually rendering internally at 720p (or occasionally a bit lower, like Project Gotham 3), and then up or down sampling it to whatever resolution you select.

In other words, picking 1080p just means the 360 will scale the game up to 1080p rather than your TV doing it.

In the case of the Playstation 3, some games are actually supporting 1080p natively.

And as to why you wouldn't always use 1080p-the 360 really isn't equipped for it because of fill rate and it's small frame buffer. The Playstation 3 is a bit better off (probably double the ROPs of the 360, and effectively more memory bandwidth), but it still doesn't really have the horsepower to do 1080p effortlessly. I wouldn't really expect most high-end games to use 1080p natively.

Now if you're talking about movies, presumably the 360 will be able to actually output true 1080p through analog.

All this talk of 1080p makes me sad though, because I just bought a 720p set, and don't have the money for a good 1080p one. So I'm hoping 720p is the standard resolution! :D

[quote name='Puppy']All this talk of 1080p makes me sad though, because is just bought a 720p set, and don't have the money for a good 1080p one. So I'm hoping 720p is the standard resolution! :D[/QUOTE]

Don't be sad, as long as you got an ok deal on it it may be one of the smarter purchases you've made so far. 1080p is more marketing than results and your movies and games will still look insanely good at 720p. Before anyone gets all pissy, yes, 1080p is better than 720p, but you need a number of factors to line up in order to enjoy it - including but not limited to good source material at the correct aspect ratio and a large TV (at least 46" unless you're right near the TV while watching).

The noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p is nowhere near as large as the difference between standard def and 720p. In fact, due to all the problems with 1080p-native TVs I've purchased/exchanged over the past month, I'm strongly considering saving myself the headache/hassle/money and just going with a nice 720p! By the time people are really taking advantage of 1080p for games (won't be in this console generation), 1080p TVs will be much more affordable.

As far as the difference between the PS3 and 360's 1080p...well, on the surface 1080p is 1080p. However, There is a lot of information unknown/unresolved on what the 360's 1080p is doing (check out avsforum.com in the XBox area under "XBox 360 true 1080p?" thread. The PS3's will probably be your industry standard 1080p (since it uses HDMI) and there should be no problems or issues at all. So in that respect, advantage to the PS3. That said, if you're in the market for movies (meaning Blu-Ray for PS3 or HD-DVD for the 360), HD-DVDs have generally produced a higher quality picture so far.

The PS3 already has announced 1080p games, it remains to be seen how that will effect the graphics. Some people stick by 720p being the better choice as it lets you get better looking textures in there with less of a performance hit. It'll probably be close either way. Right now, in most cases when a user has 1080p selected on the 360, it just upscales the 720p signal. However, for completeness sake, the 360 DOES have the capability to output at a native 1080p just like the PS3, but no developers have released a game that is native 1080p.

No issue here is really a deal breaker. Both games and movies will look very close, and only the nitpickers will really gripe about it (nothing wrong with that though, I'm pretty fussy with that kind of stuff myself). For most people though, just go with whatever console has the games you want. The video format war is a wash right now since it's too early to tell what will happen.

[quote name='Puppy']All this talk of 1080p makes me sad though, because is just bought a 720p set, and don't have the money for a good 1080p one. So I'm hoping 720p is the standard resolution! :D[/QUOTE]

Don't be sad, as long as you got an ok deal on it it may be one of the smarter purchases you've made so far. 1080p is more marketing than results and your movies and games will still look insanely good at 720p. Before anyone gets all pissy, yes, 1080p is better than 720p, but you need a number of factors to line up in order to enjoy it - including but not limited to good source material at the correct aspect ratio and a large TV (at least 46" unless you're right near the TV while watching).

The noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p is nowhere near as large as the difference between standard def and 720p. In fact, due to all the problems with 1080p-native TVs I've purchased/exchanged over the past month, I'm strongly considering saving myself the headache/hassle/money and just going with a nice 720p! By the time people are really taking advantage of 1080p for games (won't be in this console generation), 1080p TVs will be much more affordable.

As far as the difference between the PS3 and 360's 1080p...well, on the surface 1080p is 1080p. However, There is a lot of information unknown/unresolved on what the 360's 1080p is doing (check out avsforum.com in the XBox area under "XBox 360 true 1080p?" thread). The PS3's will probably be your industry standard 1080p (since it uses HDMI) and there should be no problems or issues at all. So in that respect, advantage to the PS3. That said, if you're in the market for movies (meaning Blu-Ray for PS3 or HD-DVD for the 360), HD-DVDs have generally produced a higher quality picture so far.

The PS3 already has announced 1080p games, it remains to be seen how that will effect the graphics. Some people stick by 720p being the better choice as it lets you get better looking textures in there with less of a performance hit. It'll probably be close either way. Right now, in most cases when a user has 1080p selected on the 360, it just upscales the 720p signal. However, for completeness sake, the 360 DOES have the capability to output at a native 1080p just like the PS3, but no developers have released a game that is native 1080p.

No issue here is really a deal breaker. Both games and movies will look very close, and only the nitpickers will really gripe about it (nothing wrong with that though, I'm pretty fussy with that kind of stuff myself). For most people though, just go with whatever console has the games you want. The video format war is a wash right now since it's too early to tell what will happen.

thanks for that post KaneRobot. I'll be in the market for an HDTV in the coming months and am a somewhat frugal person when it comes to high end stuff; so your post definitely helps a lot.

I guess the same could be said of 720p to 1080i then as well.

I've got a 720p/1080i TV. I can honestly not tell any difference one way or another bewteen 720p and 1080i. I'm sure its there, but its so negligible that its not even worth talking about.

I really think 720p is the "sweet spot" between wanting HD content and wantign to keep framerates up and content size down for games.

[quote name='Kayden']The difference between 1080I and 1080P is in your head.[/QUOTE]
Not entirely true, but not worth bitching about. The difference is especially noticeable if you're using it as a computer monitor.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not entirely true, but not worth bitching about. The difference is especially noticeable if you're using it as a computer monitor.[/quote]

If you can distinguish between the two, you either have eyes that are freakishly sensitive or you're looking for something to complain about.

[quote name='Kayden']If you can distinguish between the two, you either have eyes that are freakishly sensitive or you're looking for something to complain about.[/quote] youre on crack. on a 65 inch screen the difference is quite quite noticable.

[quote name='thagoat']youre on crack. on a 65 inch screen the difference is quite quite noticable.[/quote]

I'll never have one so, no difference to me ;)

Hopefully you can't tell on a 32" screen...just 'cause I'm going to be sad if/when Sony releases 1080p 32" TVs. Honestly 720p looks amazing though (and I'm used to higher resolutions on PC).

Last night I tried the 360 with VGA cable on my Samsung 4695D (swapped the XBR2 a few days ago) and it looks fucking amazing for a DVD with the upscaling in there. I'm going to really sit down with it tonight and compare it on 480p component vs. 1080p VGA. I was really surprised how good it looked after a bit of tweaking. Naturally if you're sitting 3 feet away, it's going to look mediocre, but once I was sitting in my chair or laying on my bed and was 5-6 feet away it looked outstanding - so much that the non-hardcore may be fooled into thinking it's HD.

The drawback, of course, is that the colors for games seem to be a bit washed out over VGA when compared to component, and while it doesn't hurt too badly on movies, on games it kind of sucks. My #1 priority for the 360 is still games so I may have to stick with my seperate upconverting DVD player and go back to component.

Isn't it true that the PS3 won't upconvert DVDs? I don't follow the PS3 stuff that closely at this point since I've lost interest...if true, it's a shame because it seems like the PS3 would output at least as good, if not better looking video.

The overscan on the Samsung is going to be a dagger in my heart once I try using it as my PC monitor...I can tweak it to fit perfectly with my Nvidia card, but I'll still be losing some resolution. People on avs are messing around in the service menus now and hoping there's a way to defeat the overscan. If there is, this would be my perfect TV.

[quote name='Kayden']If you can distinguish between the two, you either have eyes that are freakishly sensitive or you're looking for something to complain about.[/QUOTE]
If you have tried using a 1080i display vs. 1080p display as a computer monitor, you wouldn't be questioning it.

Last night I tried the 360 with VGA cable on my Samsung 4695D (swapped the XBR2 a few days ago) and it looks fucking amazing for a DVD with the upscaling in there. I'm going to really sit down with it tonight and compare it on 480p component vs. 1080p VGA. I was really surprised how good it looked after a bit of tweaking. Naturally if you're sitting 2-3 feet away it's going to look mediocre, but once I was sitting in my chair or laying on my bed and was 5-6 feet away it looked outstanding - so much that the non-hardcore may be fooled into thinking it's HD.

The drawback is that the colors seem to be a bit washed out over VGA when compared to component, and while it doesn't hurt too badly on movies, on games it kind of sucks. My #1 priority for the 360 is still games so I may have to stick with my seperate upconverting DVD player and go back to component.

Isn't it true that the PS3 won't upconvert DVDs? I don't follow the PS3 stuff that closely at this point since I've lost interest...if true, it's a shame because it seems like the PS3 would output at least as good, if not better looking video.

The overscan on the Samsung is going to be a dagger in my heart once I try using it as my PC monitor...I can tweak it to fit perfectly with my Nvidia card, but I'll still be losing some resolution. People on avs are messing around in the service menus now and hoping there's a way to defeat the overscan. If there is, this would be my perfect TV.

[quote name='Kayden']If you can distinguish between the two, you either have eyes that are freakishly sensitive or you're looking for something to complain about.[/QUOTE]
If you have tried using a 1080i display vs. 1080p display as a computer monitor, you wouldn't be questioning it.

Last night I tried the 360 with VGA cable on my Samsung 4695D (swapped the XBR2 a few days ago) and it looks fucking amazing for a DVD with the upscaling in there. I'm going to really sit down with it tonight and compare it on 480p component vs. 1080p VGA. I was really surprised how good it looked after a bit of tweaking. Naturally if you're sitting 2-3 feet away it's going to look mediocre, but once I was sitting in my chair or laying on my bed and was 5-6 feet away it looked outstanding - so much that the non-hardcore may be fooled into thinking it's HD.

The drawback is that the colors seem to be a bit washed out over VGA when compared to component, and while it doesn't hurt too badly on movies, on games it kind of sucks. My #1 priority for the 360 is still games so I may have to stick with my seperate upconverting DVD player and go back to component.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Last night I tried the 360 with VGA cable on my Samsung 4695D (swapped the XBR2 a few days ago) and it looks fucking amazing for a DVD with the upscaling in there. I'm going to really sit down with it tonight and compare it on 480p component vs. 1080p VGA. I was really surprised how good it looked after a bit of tweaking. Naturally if you're sitting 2-3 feet away it's going to look mediocre, but once I was sitting in my chair or laying on my bed and was 5-6 feet away it looked outstanding - so much that the non-hardcore may be fooled into thinking it's HD.

If you have tried using a 1080i display vs. 1080p display as a computer monitor, you wouldn't be questioning it.[/QUOTE]

Well for me the upconversion thing on DVD's with the PS3 is not an issue since my TV is suppose to have an awesome upscaler so I like the fact the HDMI will just pass a native 480i signal and leave it to the TV.
Now as to 1080p if it comes down to two games on the XBox 360 and PS3 and they're identical with no noticeable problems and the 360 is doing 720p and PS3 is doing 1080p, I'll buy the PS3 version PERIOD. I want to futureproof my games for when affordable and REAL 1080p TV's come out, not the bullshit one's that play these little tricks and do fake 1080p. I'm really not in the mood for when I get one of these and pop in my 360 games and it looks like shit or ok because it's upconverted. Some of you may not think it makes much of a difference but I'd argue otherwise because I've seen both PBS and CBS HD OTA.
Also, I don't know about anyone else but I think it's going to be funny as shit when people will have to pay for Cable to get future network programming at full 1080p res. for 2 years to a decade considering the new OTA signal they'll have to find that'll put out more data than ATSC. I mean as much of a fan of 1080p that I am so far it's only going to stick to movies and games for the next couple of years or so then Cable channels may move up to it, Marc Cuban will probably be one of the first.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Why the heck would developers want to make their game 720 instead of 1080?

I mean, the whole point of the freaking system is to appease the graphics whores![/quote]Dearest Quackzilla -

As far as graphics experts have said, there is actually a very simple reason. You should think about the graphical processing power of these next-gen systems as a fine balance between 2 things: Resolution and Framerate. It boils down this: as the resolution increases, the framerate decreases. As more resources are pumped into increasing the resolution, the framerate will suffer.

Technically it's not this simple, as there are many other factors involved in graphical processing, but the overall point remains. Microsoft has said themselves that they believe 720p to be the sweet spot, since they can maintain 60fps and still enhance their games with the likes of bloom lighting, bump mapping, normal mapping, etc. Once they try for consistent 1080p output, the framerate is the first item to drop.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Dearest Quackzilla -

As far as graphics experts have said, there is actually a very simple reason. You should think about the graphical processing power of these next-gen systems as a fine balance between 2 things: Resolution and Framerate. It boils down this: as the resolution increases, the framerate decreases. As more resources are pumped into increasing the resolution, the framerate will suffer.

Technically it's not this simple, as there are many other factors involved in graphical processing, but the overall point remains. Microsoft has said themselves that they believe 720p to be the sweet spot, since they can maintain 60fps and still enhance their games with the likes of bloom lighting, bump mapping, normal mapping, etc. Once they try for consistent 1080p output, the framerate is the first item to drop.[/QUOTE]

it's a shame cause nobody's making games that run at 60FPS >_< (aside from DoA4, CoD2, Burnout Revenge...and...?)

[quote name='Sarang01'] I want to futureproof my games for when affordable and REAL 1080p TV's come out, not the bullshit one's that play these little tricks and do fake 1080p. [/QUOTE]

There's real 1080p now Probably most of the brand names do it. For sure Sony's KBL-40v2500 which starts around $2000ish does it. Nothing smaller than 40" though.

Umm...they say it DOES NOT support 1080p for HD-DVDs through component...

so 360's supposed 1080p is completely pointless.

bread's done
Back